Steam/Activision Support (Lack Thereof)

Taho

N00b
I searched for an appropriate thread, but did not find anything.

I purchased Call of Duty Ghosts via Steam yesterday because it was on sale. I am not much a FPS player, but the Squad feature seemed interesting and I thought it would provide a nice diversion from time-to-time. I was playing in Squad Wargames mode which is just like practice against the AI. I got kicked out of a game and a brief message popped up saying that I'd been banned with no other detail. When I tried to relog, it said my steam ID had been banned. I was (and am still) astonished.

I had played maybe 10 matches at this point. I did not use any cheat or FOV enhancer or anything. I was just playing against the AI trying to learn the game. (I have recently upgraded to Windows 10.)

I have tried following up with both Steam and Activision support but both are like brick walls. Activision just keeps linking me to their Ban Policy which provides zero detail as to why I was banned or anything. Steam just says that can't do anything about developer bans. I then requested a refund from Steam, but they have denied it because I had a /played of more than 2 hours even though I just purchased it yesterday.

I have been a long time Steam customer and have purchased around 75 games there without ever asking for a refund before. It's pretty shitty business to deny me on this. Especially since I have done nothing wrong. I feel like I'm being robbed.

What do you think my best options are? Should I contact my credit card company (AMEX) and see if they will cancel the charge? It's just bullshit that I can't seem to find a phone number or support email address. Since my issue doesn't fit nicely into a predetermined category, I'm out of luck.

Anyone else play COD and have issues with bans or dealing with Activision? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have already wasted hours on this to no avail.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I searched for an appropriate thread, but did not find anything.

I purchased Call of Duty Ghosts via Steam yesterday because it was on sale. I am not much a FPS player, but the Squad feature seemed interesting and I thought it would provide a nice diversion from time-to-time. I was playing in Squad Wargames mode which is just like practice against the AI. I got kicked out of a game and a brief message popped up saying that I'd been banned with no other detail. When I tried to relog, it said my steam ID had been banned. I was (and am still) astonished.

I had played maybe 10 matches at this point. I did not use any cheat or FOV enhancer or anything. I was just playing against the AI trying to learn the game. (I have recently upgraded to Windows 10.)

I have tried following up with both Steam and Activision support but both are like brick walls. Activision just keeps linking me to their Ban Policy which provides zero detail as to why I was banned or anything. Steam just says that can't do anything about developer bans. I then requested a refund from Steam, but they have denied it because I had a /played of more than 2 hours even though I just purchased it yesterday.

I have been a long time Steam customer and have purchased around 75 games there without ever asking for a refund before. It's pretty shitty business to deny me on this. Especially since I have done nothing wrong. I feel like I'm being robbed.

What do you think my best options are? Should I contact my credit card company (AMEX) and see if they will cancel the charge? It's just bullshit that I can't seem to find a phone number or support email address. Since my issue doesn't fit nicely into a predetermined category, I'm out of luck.

Anyone else play COD and have issues with bans or dealing with Activision? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have already wasted hours on this to no avail.
Does your VAC ban show up in your profile? COD Ghosts had issues a while back with weird VAC Banning, but after people restarted their computer and checked their profile, the Vac Ban didn't save to their profile - and they were able to continue playing as normal.

Try that quick. Report back.

Also, this has been a weird glitch with the game since inception. Sometimes it can be caused with a variety of software issues within the OS.

spronk

FPS noob
If you reverse charges with your credit card steam will shut off your account, either you will lose access to all your games (some people) or you will not be able to buy anything ever again on that account. So I wouldn't do that.

You have to figure out if you are VAC banned (it should be on your profile somewhere) or just a specific server on COD banned or Ghosts specific ban. Honestly unless you wanna waste hours of your life I'd just move on, maybe you have some shitty spyware on your machine - install malwarebytes and do a full rootkit/system scan.

Steam's policy is pretty clear, once you play a game more than 2 hours they won't do a refund. I don't see why your case is an exception, whether its a false ban or not - if someone plays a game for 4 hours then decide it sucks they won't get a refund either.

Taho

N00b
It says "VAC or In-game ban on record" in Steam. I'm pretty sure it's an in-game ban from everything I can tell. Restarted computer overnight, restarted Steam, went to Ghosts and tried to log into multiplayer and it says something like User is Banned from Multiplayer.

Thanks for the info on the nuclear CC option - guess I won't do that. It's not the money - it's the fucking BS my buying a game for $30, playing said game, then getting banned from the game for playing the game all within one day.

I've now wasted more hours searching for support than I ever played the game. It's pretty infuriating how difficult it is to get answers.

Taho

N00b
Yeah, under my Steam profile it says Banned by Game Developers (Game Ban).

I have no cheats, bots, anything on my comp let alone running. Hell, I was playing against the AI and sucking. Maybe some weird Windows 10 or Antivirus or Nvidia interaction. I have no clue.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, under my Steam profile it says Banned by Game Developers (Game Ban).

I have no cheats, bots, anything on my comp let alone running. Hell, I was playing against the AI and sucking. Maybe some weird Windows 10 or Antivirus or Nvidia interaction. I have no clue.
Try posting here.

https://www.facebook.com/ActivisionAssist/

Say exactly what was said in the post. Sounds like multiple people experiencing the issue 2 years ago, and you got caught up in their glitchy system.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I am astonished people paid $30 for a 2 year old COD game that has been $10 for over a year.

Good luck on getting unbanned !

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
No offense to the op, but I don't think the type of gamer who buys CoD games is the type of gamer who shops the sales.