Steam Deals and Digital Sales

DMK_sl

shitlord
I'd be surprised if everyone here hasn't heard of it but I STRONGLY recommend Bastion. One of the best indie games out there IMO.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Does not compute.
They ALWAYS end up on some sort of deep discount within 3-6 months of release it seems - thanks to the miserly nature of my family I always kick my own ass for wasting money for getting it at the wrong part of its pricing window.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
I got fucked on Far Cry Blood Dragon, it gives an error about missing registry entries and says i need to reinstall. I could have bought...not much with that 6 bucks but still.

Vorph

I'm personally hoping Rogue Legacy has a huge deal - demo has been a blast, and I understand that it's QUITE fractional of the whole - I just can never bring myself to pay full price for indie stuff however. (And yes, I know it's 20% off ATM - hoping it goes deep like they do almost every big Steam sale for indies)
I'm waiting for a Monaco sale for similar reasons, but I wouldn't count on seeing Rogue Legacy on sale for more than -20%. The game was only released a couple weeks ago. If you do buy it now, you should buy it from their website instead of from Steam, since they get a lot bigger cut of the $ that way.

That said, it is kind of disappointing that they didn't do the indie bundles again this year.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Legend of Grimrock up for ?3,50 for the next 4 hours still. It's hard to find a genre that it would fit in these days since there haven't really been games of this style since the 1990s. It's an oldschool dungeon crawler and would be a great (re-)introduction to the genre. It really captured the atmosphere of the old games and doesn't have any stupid kiddie shit added like so many new games nowadays.
As a fan of the old gold box games, I really wanted to love Legend of Grimrock. But the god damn whack-a-mole they call combat sucks giant donkey dick. Enjoyed the puzzles, the setting, etc etc just fine. But there wasn't a day that I played it that I didn't wish everyone involved in the combat (the dev, the boss who greenlit it, ET ALL) to die in a fiery car wreck that was the aftermath of hitting a tanker truck full of liquid medical waste.

Rabkorik

Silver Knight of the Realm
I've never played any of the Bioshock games. Should I play through 1/2 first or just go for Infinite?

Vorph

I've never played any of the Bioshock games. Should I play through 1/2 first or just go for Infinite?
I'd start with Infinite unless you're really opposed to paying $30 for it rather than $5 for the original. BioShock 2 can be skipped entirely unless you get it in a bundle (likethis one, because Spec Ops is an excellent game as well) and feel compelled to check it out. It wasn't developed by Irrational Games, something which becomes painfully obvious from the very beginning.

Sleeping Dogs for $6.24.....worth it?
If you want to play the best GTA-style sandbox game since Saints Row 2, sure.

DMK_sl

shitlord
I just bought it. It got good reviews all round and from what I've read earlier in this thread a lot of FOH members loved it... I mean 6 bucks... That's ridiculous..

Stave

Potato del Grande
Well I just bought Chivalry. Reminds me a lot of Rune/Enclave/Blade of Darkness but with multiplayer. They really need to remake Rune.

If anyone purchase's FarCry Blood Dragon and gets an error when putting in the code, turn caps lock on and then put the code in. It worked for me for some reason, cannot tell you why.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As a fan of the old gold box games, I really wanted to love Legend of Grimrock. But the god damn whack-a-mole they call combat sucks giant donkey dick. Enjoyed the puzzles, the setting, etc etc just fine. But there wasn't a day that I played it that I didn't wish everyone involved in the combat (the dev, the boss who greenlit it, ET ALL) to die in a fiery car wreck that was the aftermath of hitting a tanker truck full of liquid medical waste.
The gold box games aren't really the same genre, they're RPG's with tactical combat. The challenge in dungeon crawlers (like Grimrock, Eye of the Beholder etc) is mostly in puzzles and the combat is mostly a test of your awareness of your environment (not getting cornered, reactions etc). I do wish they'd remake the gold box type games too because what passes for RPG today is a sorry reflection of the depth those games had.

Vaclav

I'm waiting for a Monaco sale for similar reasons, but I wouldn't count on seeing Rogue Legacy on sale for more than -20%. The game was only released a couple weeks ago. If you do buy it now, you should buy it from their website instead of from Steam, since they get a lot bigger cut of the $ that way.

That said, it is kind of disappointing that they didn't do the indie bundles again this year.
I'd have said the same about Brave New World since it was literally days old but my gamble paid off.