Steam dun fucked up

Sulrn

Deuces
I doubt you'd see anyone wholly replace them for a few years at least - even if they do go completely out of favor.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I think TB did a pretty good job summing up my feelings. I doubt the goodwill is going to change anytime soon, but between the Skyrim mod thing, July, the flash sales leaving, and now this - I think we could be seeing a plateau leading to a slow reversal.
Love how the blame for skyrim gets laid right on steam while Beth gets a free pass.

What was the July thing? Flash sales I feel might be another joint idea like the mods.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I feel like Valve wouldn't really give 2 shits about losing customers who only shop in the dollar bin (flash sales)... that's not exactly where they're paying their bills from.

spronk

FPS noob
If Steam goes out of favor who is waiting in the wings to replace them?
PUT ME IN, COACH

2kDKcAU.jpg

Sulrn

Deuces
Love how the blame for skyrim gets laid right on steam while Beth gets a free pass.

What was the July thing? Flash sales
Read the FO4 thread, no one is giving Beth a free pass. Steam considering adoption of a premium mod workshop (as it was implemented) was pretty anti-consumer from my point of view - so why shouldn't they take a hit all the same?The July thing was mass account hacking because they left a known bug in their password recovery page.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Read the FO4 thread, no one is giving Beth a free pass. Steam considering adoption of a premium mod workshop (as it was implemented) was pretty anti-consumer from my point of view - so why shouldn't they take a hit all the same? The July thing was mass account hacking because they left a known bug in their password recovery page.
I'm talking beyond here, on multiple other forums I see Beth getting a free pass......which is sad since they might be charging for mods when they drop the kit for FO4. I felt both Beth and Valve fucked up hard on charging for mods in almost every way.

Looked up that July hack, and they shit is pretty bad.

Xalara

Golden Squire
At least Origin has a customer support team. Amazon would also love for Steam to fall over.

Paid mods are an inevitability. It was only a shit show because Valve and Bethesda decided to make the monumental mistake of implementing a half baked version of it in Skyrim. Turns out changing the rules after the community has been established for years is a bad thing. If they had done it with Fallout 4 and done more to ease copyright concerns, there would have been grumbling, but people would have accepted it eventually.

HUH_sl

shitlord
At least Origin has a customer support team. Amazon would also love for Steam to fall over.

Paid mods are an inevitability. It was only a shit show because Valve and Bethesda decided to make the monumental mistake of implementing a half baked version of it in Skyrim. Turns out changing the rules after the community has been established for years is a bad thing. If they had done it with Fallout 4 and done more to ease copyright concerns, there would have been grumbling, but people would have accepted it eventually.
There's still time! Mods tools for FO4 haven't been released yet. While the huge backlash probably scared them off I wouldn't be that surprised if paid mods made a return in some form when they finally release GECK for FO4.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider

That's the thing though, none of the Bethesda games have isolated mod community anymore. It's all running through Nexus with a subset being released through workshop and I'd be shocked if F4 mods didn't require some third party tool to work ala SKSE. Then you have issue of game just plain not working with certain combinations that people paid for, therefore effectively scamming them. I also believe that people would be a lot more critical of Bethesda if they had to shell out 5$ for decent UI. There's also the whole logic of "we will allow people to charge for their stuff, we just don't know what they are gonig to make". Quite frankly, unless they address all of the issues people had with the system when it was introduced, it's not worth it for Valve.

Sulrn

Deuces
When I said it was anti-consumer as implemented, I said that knowing it was a part of the future. However the current industry standard for AAA games coming out only 70-80% done then charging for the rest or saying "Eh, let the modders do it." says to me the market isn't ready for paid mods.

Add that in with Z's points and you have your recipe for ill will for Steam or any developer that tries to push that future to today.