Steam dun fucked up

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I always love looking at the norse attack maps during these. I haven't changed from my library, but no warning emails about purchases or anything so eh, doesn't really affect me yet.

- though apparently the Robotech missile attacks coming from China are not the cause!

HUH_sl

shitlord
back from Christmas crap. They fix this shit yet? That 1 guy they left at the Valve office still taking a nap?

EDIT:http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ste.../1100-6433371/

"Steam is back up and running without any known issues," a Valve spokesperson told GameSpot. "As a result of a configuration change earlier today, a caching issue allowed some users to randomly see pages generated for other users for a period of less than an hour. This issue has since been resolved. We believe no unauthorized actions were allowed on accounts beyond the viewing of cached page information and no additional action is required by users."

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
And yet, Steam will still save my credit card information but not my birthdate.

Better not let them have access to any secure data there.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
i dont buy a lot off steam, but i hit this winter sale hard 2 days ago, so glad i did not tell them to keep my CC info in my account. I normaly do this but for some crazy reason said NOPE to this time.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
i dont buy a lot off steam, but i hit this winter sale hard 2 days ago, so glad i did not tell them to keep my CC info in my account. I normaly do this but for some crazy reason said NOPE to this time.
You believe that sites that are having issues on their side are actually getting rid of the CC number in a timely manner.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Even if they had your CC info, all you can see from the cache is the last 2 numbers as far as I could tell, the full CC info isn't in the cached pages. No expiry date, no secret code. While 2numbers is better than nothing, it really doesn't do fuckshit. The more important info would be adress/real name/email/phone, but I gotta say after so many years on internet with all the various websites getting hacked and shit, all this info is probably already out there unless you use fake info on every website. Whole thing seems completely pointless to get angry about imo, although I guess I see why people bitch since it's Steam and you'd expect it to be secure but they fucked up twice this year alone already(the previous one was a lot worse though iirc, it let you log in specific accounts).

Xalara

Golden Squire
Caching is hard but I still don't see how Steam could have fucked up this badly on such a sensitive part of their platform. This is the type of problem that sinks businesses. Imagine if it had happened to Amazon.

Not that it's surprising or anything, but the issue points out that Valve has some serious quality control issues on their end.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The internet freakout about this is just amazing. People trying to organize their lawsuits and shit already, it's just ridiculous. Nothing will come of this, it doesn't matter at all in the long run, and it will be forgotten by the end of the weekend.

The worst thing that happened to anyone was a couple random people saw your shameful wishlist of animu weeb games and dating sims.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Caching is hard but I still don't see how Steam could have fucked up this badly on such a sensitive part of their platform. This is the type of problem that sinks businesses. Imagine if it had happened to Amazon.

Not that it's surprising or anything, but the issue points out that Valve has some serious quality control issues on their end.
Shit gets through but what I don't understand is why they would put in a new change ON CHRISTMAS?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It's still a data breach, are they not treating it as such?
There hasn't been a real official word. There's been "some guy at Valve" who gave a quick explanation of what happened that's been reposted in various places, but in it they say nothing really important happened. They didn't adress the fact personal info was revealed and potentially mined before they took everything down. Maybe they'll do a serious announcement after the weekend or whatever, like assuming Gaben and the other important people who decide what to say are on holidays until then.

Shit gets through but what I don't understand is why they would put in a new change ON CHRISTMAS?
Massively increased load so they had to switch shit up? People are always complaining steam loads like shit during sales, especially when there's games and what not. Don't know if there's any games this year, but still it was slow to load.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah I don't think they initiated a change I think they spooled up more resources and didn't have them ready to go properly.

Xalara

Golden Squire
There hasn't been a real official word. There's been "some guy at Valve" who gave a quick explanation of what happened that's been reposted in various places, but in it they say nothing really important happened. They didn't adress the fact personal info was revealed and potentially mined before they took everything down. Maybe they'll do a serious announcement after the weekend or whatever, like assuming Gaben and the other important people who decide what to say are on holidays until then.

Massively increased load so they had to switch shit up? People are always complaining steam loads like shit during sales, especially when there's games and what not. Don't know if there's any games this year, but still it was slow to load.
It's easy to predict load increases year over year on long running platforms like Steam, hardware would've been allocated months ago and they certainly would not have been adding any capacity on Christmas. So I doubt that's the problem. Either way I expect a serious announcement since this is one of the bigger fuckups I've seen. As a developer who has worked on these kinds of systems it boggles the mind how this got through.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Apparently they're having issues where emails aren't being sent out, including Steamguard account verification codes. Bad day for me to install Windows on a new hard drive. Fucked thing is it let me log into the website once, but now it says the browser is 'new.' Same on laptop. Same when I booted from the old drive. Etc. In short: I'm completely locked out of anything Steam related because they can't send me an email.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
You know some fuck in management was like "Who cares about QAing this shit, SHIP THIS CONFIG CHANGE ASAP BEFORE XMAS".

whoops.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
With all these fuckups everywhere, I am so glad I have never had a credit card. Is it a nightmare if your money disappears through it?

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
With all these fuckups everywhere, I am so glad I have never had a credit card. Is it a nightmare if your money disappears through it?
No. Often, the bank calls you before you even notice the fraudulent charges and shuts them down. If someone takes it and starts charging things, you contact the bank and they fix the issue & send you a new card.

The rules on debit cards can be less forgiving.