SteamOS - SteamWare

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is official..http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/8/37...room-steam-box

Gabe Newell confirmed the company's plans to sell its own living room PC that could compete with next-generation consoles from Sony and Microsoft. The biggest revelation is that Valve seems set to release its own complete hardware and software solution. When we first reported that the company was working on a "Steam Box" back in March, it appeared that Valve was working on prototype that would establish a baseline for hardware manufacturers, but it wasn't clear if the company would sell its own product or simply release the designs to others. Newell's comments to Kotaku provide a much clearer picture of what's happening; Newell says that he expects companies to start selling PCs designed for the living room next year ? which Kotaku says could have Steam preloaded ? and that Valve will create its own distinct package.
Great to see. Steam is the best digital store and I can't wait to see what they have in store.

Numbers_sl

shitlord
I would buy something like that I think since I'm not sure how to use their new "Big Thing" thing yet. I'm curious if they will announce a partnership with other publishers to put PS3 and XBox games through them as well.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Neah, I think they should do a linux box running steam with some wine hackery to support windows games. I mean that as in getting the game steam ready would include support for this and they're big enough to make the game devs comply with it.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg

Yeah, not sure I get the angle here. What OS is the box gonna run? Gabe hates Windows8, and Valve have made it known they are going to start going steady with Linux. Only problem is all the PC games are on windows and not linux...

If I can't log into my Steam account and play one of my nearly 200 games, what's the point? Are they really gonna tweak and muck with WINE until they get the entire Steam library working? Do they really think that they will convince developers and publishers to release new games on Linux?

Numbers_sl

shitlord
This is quite possibly a really dumb question, but can't they use linux to develop a windows emulator to play games out of our Steam library?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Came here to call Gabe a fat fuck and ask about Half Life 3... nice work gentlemen

Araxen

Yeah, not sure I get the angle here. What OS is the box gonna run? Gabe hates Windows8, and Valve have made it known they are going to start going steady with Linux. Only problem is all the PC games are on windows and not linux...

If I can't log into my Steam account and play one of my nearly 200 games, what's the point? Are they really gonna tweak and muck with WINE until they get the entire Steam library working? Do they really think that they will convince developers and publishers to release new games on Linux?
It will be Linux and more than likely will use Ubuntu or they'll have their own "Steam" Linux for the console. The hardware will be "controlled" for it so devs can easily make/port their games to it. This will be a console so I'm not expecting too many Windows games to work on it though that may be in the cards if they use Wine. It's too early to tell at the moment. Half-Life 3 will still be a PC game for Windows but it'll also run on Steam Box. I don't expect a PS4/720 release.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
As stated above, I have no use foranotherconsole. If this steambox, or whatever it's going to be called, cannot play my steam library outright, then what's the point?

I understand that Gaben wants to get out while the gettin's good; he want's to keep steam relevant and not just an app on an OS. Microsoft seems hellbent on turning windows into a giant smartphone so I guess, to Gaben, getting off the windows platform and into something less restricting is the right play.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I can't say I'm excited about this with so little information. What OS is it going to run? Will it be customizable? Why would I use it over my PC running Steam?

If it's a closed hardware system then it's just another console. I don't need a third (or fourth if Nintendo gets their act together with the WiiU and convinces me to buy one) system like that.

Need more information on what it can/can't do and what their plans are for it.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Well, if there ever was a time to do it, it's now, as both 720 and PS4 are heavily thought to be PC-based, and virtually every western third party gets a PC port already.

But the issues are the same as they've been since the concept came out:
1) Windows. Many games are only available for Windows on Steam. Paying for a Windows license pretty much instantly knocks it out of the running vs. standard consoles. Will Steam just run them under Wine? Will they use their market power to mandate a Linux version? Can smaller developers afford that?
2) Hardware sold at a loss. Most videogame systems are sold at a lost, especially in their early years, making that money up with console license fees on every game sold. This Steambox will presumably not operate under that paradigm.
So why would this be any cheaper than making your own system? Why would developers bother making a fork specifically for the Steambox (or boxes - when and how does it get upgraded)? Again, does Steam use their market power to mandate a fork optimized for Steambox? Again, can smaller developers afford that?

All the questions about the Steambox are economic. Aside from Steam throwing their weight around in a near non-competitive manner, I don't see how they are answered.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Wine will run nearly anything Steam sells, just have to apply varying amounts of elbow grease. Some things take 5 seconds (anything built off source for example), others you spend longer making it work than you do playing the game (looking at you League of Legends). It wouldn't surprise me if their angle on this is just dev-supported Wine emulation on a Linux-based system. With actual support from a dev team Wine will run literally anything.

Gabe really does hate Windows 8 though.

Blide_sl

shitlord
Really having a hard time seeing the angle here for Valve. It's almost like they're trying to compete directly with Microsoft's ubiquitous ecosystem which I'm not sure is a winning strategy in the long run.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
Really having a hard time seeing the angle here for Valve. It's almost like they're trying to compete directly with Microsoft's ubiquitous ecosystem which I'm not sure is a winning strategy in the long run.
I am brand loyal to steam and would pick them over Microsoft any day of the week. I am sure many people share my sentiment. 40 million people use xbox live versus 50 million registered steam users, either way it is a giant potential starting base.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
If it's a closed hardware system then it's just another console. I don't need a third (or fourth if Nintendo gets their act together with the WiiU and convinces me to buy one) system like that.
I do wonder about that myself. On one hand, creating a closed system makes it more comfortable for a console gamer. It would allow Valve to create a hybrid system that appeals to a console gamer without needing the technological know-how that is generally required of a PC gamer. They can release a PC prepackaged with all the hardware necessary to run today's games and ensure people that will be good enough until Steam Box 2, which is the sort of comfort level I think console gamers like, particularly among the younger players.

Oddly enough, that's sort of what Microsoft's goal was with GFW Live/Vista a few years ago. They wanted every system and game to have a score, and then you could just look on a box and easily tell if your PC could run the game or not. Microsoft approached it from a software perspective, whereas it sounds like Valve will be taking the smarter approach of a hardware perspective.

On the other hand, why not give people the option to upgrade if they wish to? Make it the best of both words: People who don't know much about computers can avoid upgrading if they wish, and those that do can maximize their system to their heart's content. Potentially, Valve could even streamline this each year by branding various hardware upgrades as "Steam Box Upgrades" or whatever. Again, those that know enough about PCs can shop around and do their own research, while others can just buy whatever Valve says will work.

Though, I still wonder if that'd alienate certain people. Even if you can easily recognize which videocard is an upgrade necessary to play most games on the market, I'd guess a lot of people wouldn't be comfortable opening their system and trying to figure out how to switch it out. Ideally, a company trying to win over that audience should create a system that is very user-friendly when it comes to installing upgrades (like just being able to slide out the videocard and slide in a new one and be done in a couple minutes), but that'd take a much larger commitment from the hardware industry. And that gets back to why I could very easily see this being a closed system. After all, Valve already won us PC gamers over years ago. I don't think it's us that they are gearing this towards.

Araxen

I am brand loyal to steam and would pick them over Microsoft any day of the week. I am sure many people share my sentiment. 40 million people use xbox live versus 50 million registered steam users, either way it is a giant potential starting base.
Yup, MS nickels and dimes their console customer's. Overpriced Hard drives, Xbox Live Gold, there is other shit I'm forgetting.