SteamOS

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Well it looks like they are starting to push into set top pretty hard.

I can't see the actual page here from work but all the news sites are reporting on it right now.

?As we?ve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we?ve come to the conclusion that the environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself,? reads the Steam announcement page. ?SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen. It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.?
http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Here is the actual Steam page for those of you at work where it's blocked

edit - bleh, stupid attachment getting shrinked. That's not really very readable, and I can't delete it either. Oh well...

fris

Vyemm Raider
if i have to buy new licenses for all my games, i'm out. if it doesn't run the games i want to play now, i'm out.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
if i have to buy new licenses for all my games, i'm out. if it doesn't run the games i want to play now, i'm out.
It is using your current Steam library. Why would you think otherwise?

It is basically an OS built to run ONLY Steam so less overhead.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It will be interesting to see how thenativeSteamOS titles are handled. If they announce a native version of any of your existing library do you get it for free? Or are they going to have big bundles at attractive prices for people that want a new copy that runs on their SteamOS box instead of being streamed over their local network. Then do you need to decide in the future if you want to buy Assassin's Creed IX for Windows, Mac, or Steam?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
It will be interesting to see how thenativeSteamOS titles are handled. If they announce a native version of any of your existing library do you get it for free? Or are they going to have big bundles at attractive prices for people that want a new copy that runs on their SteamOS box instead of being streamed over their local network. Then do you need to decide in the future if you want to buy Assassin's Creed IX for Windows, Mac, or Steam?
Already if a game becomes cross platform you get it for free. Steam right now works that if you change OS'es it won't matter to your pocket. You bought it once and that is all.

I have had my Steam logged into all 3 platforms.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Steam has never required extra licenses for multiple OSes, so no idea why you think they'd start now.

Northerner

N00b
Well, this was expected but still kinda interesting I guess.

For the moment though, I'm still failing to see the problem that this solution is trying to address. I can already play all my windows games on my television, better performance is really unneeded and especially so if I am playing on a big screen 10' away. I suppose I could throw it on an old dedicated box that is a game system slash media center but I'm not seeing a compelling reason to do so anymore.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Well, this was expected but still kinda interesting I guess.

For the moment though, I'm still failing to see the problem that this solution is trying to address. I can already play all my windows games on my television, better performance is really unneeded and especially so if I am playing on a big screen 10' away. I suppose I could throw it on an old dedicated box that is a game system slash media center but I'm not seeing a compelling reason to do so anymore.
It is different when the developers starting building for the OS specifically. Week one, month one, etc won't be anything all that different.

It is why we have gaming consoles at all.

fris

Vyemm Raider
how many apps currently run on Ubuntu or Mac? i thought only a few ran on Mac, but whatever worked would run on Ubuntu. If the developers can easily get games to work on SteamOS, which I assume is just another build of Linux, then cool.

But there's already a reduced number of games that run will outside of Windows. I wish they would have created an overlay, like the old Boxee app, or further pushed their Big Picture thing.

There's already simple streaming function devices (apple tv, Chrome sticks/boxes, roku, etc), gaming devices (ps3, xbox, wii), and media center pc's (windows, linux). Steam does so well providing software to the Windows user, I don't know why they're not building ontop of that.

don't get me wrong, i love Steam. it takes a lot of effort to get me to buy something that isn't through steam.http://www.mysteamgauge.com/search?username=fris
Over the last 6 years, you've spent 1632 hours playing this selection, which includes 136 items, is valued at $1750.25, and requires 532.04 GB

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Steam has never required extra licenses for multiple OSes, so no idea why you think they'd start now.
I've just never used multiple OSes so had never looked in to it on Steam. That's awesome to know though and makes me feel more confident about how SteamOS will work.

My Steam knowledge pretty much goes as far as buying a ton of games during their absurd sales and never getting around to playing them.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
how many apps currently run on Ubuntu or Mac? i thought only a few ran on Mac, but whatever worked would run on Ubuntu. If the developers can easily get games to work on SteamOS, which I assume is just another build of Linux, then cool.

But there's already a reduced number of games that run will outside of Windows. I wish they would have created an overlay, like the old Boxee app, or further pushed their Big Picture thing.

There's already simple streaming function devices (apple tv, Chrome sticks/boxes, roku, etc), gaming devices (ps3, xbox, wii), and media center pc's (windows, linux). Steam does so well providing software to the Windows user, I don't know why they're not building ontop of that.

don't get me wrong, i love Steam. it takes a lot of effort to get me to buy something that isn't through steam.http://www.mysteamgauge.com/search?username=fris
The point is to help developers switch to this willingly with little to no effort. You are correct, now. Near future? Different story.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I'm guessing they'll do some wine trickery to get some of the popular stuff working and in the future make it a requirement or offer some perks for having SteamOS support. Think about how Steam started with the Orange Box.

p.s. I'll bet anything that the next installment of Half Life will come out with SteamOS.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I'm guessing they'll do some wine trickery to get some of the popular stuff working and in the future make it a requirement or offer some perks for having SteamOS support. Think about how Steam started with the Orange Box.

p.s. I'll bet anything that the next installment of Half Life will come out with SteamOS.
And will be playable with a controller. Reddit would explode.

The biggest thing is the streaming option, basically you have your gaming PC and then a lean box next to your TV, which is probably the obstacle for a lot of people to play the latest stuff on the big screen. Still, it will be interesting to see it develop, Valve is usually very smart with their products. Maybe when I'm looking into living room options at some point in the future, this will be sweet alternative.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
This has needed to happen for a decade. This will be the death of Microsoft and Windows, and the PC market will probably recede to an arena almost exclusively for enthusiasts as tablets and the like take over. This is probably the smartest move Valve can make, with the strength they have in the PC gaming market, they will basically be the Google of PC gaming within a decade now (they already kinda are but you get my point).

Needless

Toe Sucker
There is still 2 more announcements to come given the timer and 2 extra spots on thehttp://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/domain.
Sadly it doesn't look like any of their files give any paths to any leaks from what i've been looking into.

Obviously it'll be Steambox & Half Life 3, exclusive to the SteamOS lol

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
This has needed to happen for a decade. This will be the death of Microsoft and Windows, and the PC market will probably recede to an arena almost exclusively for enthusiasts as tablets and the like take over. This is probably the smartest move Valve can make, with the strength they have in the PC gaming market, they will basically be the Google of PC gaming within a decade now (they already kinda are but you get my point).
Money.

I agree. This move is good for valve and great for gamers.

In Gaben We Trust.