Stocks

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Ah I think you may have misunderstood the question. All of that is understood and a given.

Ownership of a company, unless it's a meaningful amount to influence the company's direction (and even then, you'd have to get the board to pay out dividends), is of no value to a normal trader unless the company pays dividends on the stock. 'Just owning it', even if the company grows, is completely worthless. The only way it's worth anything is if you actuallysell the stockin the company to a buyer. The only 'value' seen in stock without dividends is thus realized only when sold. There's no other value in it whatsoever; you see no gains in the profit of the company, and there's obviously no use-value.

One could say the thing, the stock, only exists because the market exists for it; that is, the stock without dividendsonly existsbecause buyers and sellers try to game each other, each getting a higher and lower price, respectively. There's no other value to the stock except the buying and selling of it. There's no connection to the company's increasing or decreasing profit because it never pays dividends. It may affect the stock price, but people actually buying and selling it may and will likely affect it more.

Investors and people in finance in disagreement often say that stock would be seen as, 'the expected future value or earnings of a company, and that this future value would include the payout of dividends.' So really, you're buying and selling something with thehopethat this company would pay dividends in the future. Otherwise, like I said, you're just playing hot potato with something that has no value outside of the game of hot potato.

Or the tl;dr question: okay, you have a small ownership of a company that never pays dividends - now what?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Clearly misunderstood, hopefully now that everyone's reread what you originally wrote we can make some progress on this.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
The distinction between dividend paying and non-paying stocks is very confusing, because you can think of a dividend payout as a forced sale of stocks. If I have 100 shares at $100 (so $10,000) and they pay out $1/share in dividends, then I have 100 shares at $99 ($9,900) and $100 in cash. This is no different from just selling one share, in which case I'd have 99 shares at $100 ($9,900) + $100 in cash. The number of shares is completely meaningless, which is why a company can just do a stock split: if their share price is really high (e.g. $500 per share), they can just split it so that you have twice as many stocks and their value is now $250 per share.

(Incidentally, I've met people who get this horribly wrong: they bought penny stocks because they thought they'd get a lot more shares with their $1,000 than if they bought more expensive stocks.)

Whether I have a claim to this $1 in their cash account or whether they give me $1 in cash is exactly the same. It's true that in one case, I can't directly get the $1 out of their account -- but I can sell my stock to someone else and that $1 claim will be factored into the price the other person is willing to pay.

Ownership of a company, unless it's a meaningful amount to influence the company's direction (and even then, you'd have to get the board to pay out dividends), is of no value to a normal trader unless the company pays dividends on the stock. 'Just owning it', even if the company grows, is completely worthless. The only way it's worth anything is if you actuallysell the stockin the company to a buyer. The only 'value' seen in stock without dividends is thus realized only when sold. There's no other value in it whatsoever; you see no gains in the profit of the company, and there's obviously no use-value.
Isn't that a bit like saying there's no value in a $100 bill unless you spend it on something? Having assets is valuable, and a company has a lot of assets.

One could say the thing, the stock, only exists because the market exists for it; that is, the stock without dividendsonly existsbecause buyers and sellers try to game each other, each getting a higher and lower price, respectively.
There's no "gaming" involved. You're going to have a natural turnover of stocks as people (or firms) take on different risk profiles. For example, young investors will want to buy stocks to save for retirement, whereas older investors want to sell stock to finance their retirement.

There's no other value to the stock except the buying and selling of it. There's no connection to the company's increasing or decreasing profit because it never pays dividends. It may affect the stock price, but people actually buying and selling it may and will likely affect it more.
Company profits most certainly affect the stock price, which is often accompanied by a range of measures including the price/earnings ratio. But it's generally expected profits that matter, since when you invest in a company today, you care about its profitability tomorrow, not that of yesterday. Individual investors may not think too much about it and when they buy stocks, often pick the companies they like and do business with. That's why the average individual investor loses money in the stock market. It's not at all how the larger players (especially pension funds) act. Large institutional investors spend a LOT of money doing research on companies to predict their future profitability and invest based on that. This is how most of the trillions of dollars in the market are moved, and it's why trading individual stocks essentially means that you think you can do better than the people at all the world's investment firms. Again, explaining why people who invest in individual stocks, on average, lose money: they're not better than the professionals.

Or the tl;dr question: okay, you have a small ownership of a company that never pays dividends - now what?
Maybe this is simply a misunderstanding about the company's infinite lifetime? We tend to think of firms as going on forever... so I don't really care about Amazon's profits 100 years from now, but I can tell you that 60 years from now, there's someone who will care about the profits in 2114 (namely the person who starts saving for retirement). There's basically no reason to "close the books" and sell off the firm with all its assets for you to cash out, because there are other people who want to take over ownership of the firm.

Think of someone who founded his own business and passes it on to his kid. The company doesn't get sold, but the inheritance clearly has value beyond whatever salary the kid can now pay to himself. If he doesn't want to be in the business anymore, he can sell it to someone else. The only difference is that selling a local gardening business is going to be really difficult, whereas selling stocks of a large company takes a fraction of a second.

edit: a Ponzi scheme is something in which you buy something that is inherently without value in hopes that someone else will pay you more for it. Gold is somewhat close to that for people who speculate with it (i.e. who invest in hopes of making a profit), but it has the additional property that it's historically a decent store of value. Bitcoins might be a better example, as it seems primarily an "investment" tool and not a currency at this point. Clearly, both of those are only valuable in the sense that someone else will take them in hopes of selling them for yet more. The same is not true for a stock: owning Amazon is valuable beyond the hope that someone else will pay you more to be the owner of Amazon. It's an actual company with buildings, intellectual property, inventory, employees, and so on.

The fact that, in theory, someone could buy up 50% + 1 share and take control of the company is sufficient for this to not be a ponzi scheme. You don't actually need anyone to go ahead and do that. Note, however, that it's pretty normal for a group of large investors (e.g. pension funds) to have a controlling majority at a shareholder meeting. They do, in fact, set policy there... the fact that you personally don't have enough money in it to go for anything more than the free food doesn't really matter: one of those funds will be happy to take your share if you no longer want it so that they have more say.

By the way: I highly recommend going to a shareholder meeting, if you can. Find a company that's headquartered in your city (or nearby) and buy a single share, then go to the meeting. Most firms also stream them online (and you don't have to be a shareholder to watch), but I think this is kind of worth seeing in person. Plus, free food & beer/wine.

There's a guy in Switzerland who has become semi-famous for owning a couple shares in all the major Swiss firms and going to their meetings. He's probably in his 70s and requests a few minutes of time (which he is entitled to as a shareholder) and goes on to comment about the food and the gift bag. It's usually along the lines of "much better than last year, but at company Y they had a larger selection of wines! Maybe you can fix this for next year."

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Didn't realize I wrote a novel til the end!

The distinction between dividend paying and non-paying stocks is very confusing, because you can think of a dividend payout as a forced sale of stocks. If I have 100 shares at $100 (so $10,000) and they pay out $1/share in dividends, then I have 100 shares at $99 ($9,900) and $100 in cash.This is no different from just selling one share, in which case I'd have 99 shares at $100 ($9,900) + $100 in cash. The number of shares is completely meaningless, which is why a company can just do a stock split: if their share price is really high (e.g. $500 per share), they can just split it so that you have twice as many stocks and their value is now $250 per share.
They'remonetarilythe same, but completely different fundamentally: and that's precisely what I'm talking about. A company paying out a dividend with whatever profits it accrued in a quarter is fundamentally different than selling the share to another trader. That's the crux of the issue, and why the value of that stock is illusory in the latter case (with regards to non-dividend stocks).

Whether I have a claim to this $1 in their cash account or whether they give me $1 in cash is exactly the same. It's true that in one case, I can't directly get the $1 out of their account -- but I can sell my stock to someone else and that $1 claim will be factored into the price the other person is willing to pay.
They're not the same outside of the money equivalence. a dividend paid out to someone owning a share isfundamentallydifferent thansellingthe share to someone with the dividend claim factored in. One is receiving the benefits of ownership of company realizing profit (which is the point); another is putting the share on a market to be bought. And again I'm stressing the original point:if I buy a non-dividend paying stock that I never sell, what is the value of that stock?

Isn't that a bit like saying there's no value in a $100 bill unless you spend it on something? Having assets is valuable, and a company has a lot of assets.
No, see you're missing the real point.Money is used to exchange goods and services, an abstraction of value that is quantifiable. If I want to sell this chair I'm sitting in, I'll sell it for some amount of money. If I want to buy a new car, I'll spend a certain amount of money. It quantifies and mediates exchange of tangible objects and activity.

A non-dividend paying stock gives you small fractional ownership, but you can't do or enact any change with it whatsoever. Itdoes nothingexcept be bought and sold, and bought and sold again and again. It provides you no realized share of company profits as dividends paid out. Theonly thingyou can do it with is play proverbial hot potato. As I said, it's only a vehicle to accrue money through its buying and selling, along it's history of buyers and sellers.

If you look at this chain of buyers and sellers, what happens is these people make or lose money off of buying or selling the shares. This continual, everyday process generates money for someone that can be used in real life, such as buying a new chair or car. But the process I used to gain the money was completely illusory and only existed on a market used to exchange a fabricated good, by playing hot potato with some stock.Nothing happened in the real worldthat provided me this money to buy a chair or car,and yetI am able to do so.

There's no "gaming" involved. You're going to have a natural turnover of stocks as people (or firms) take on different risk profiles. For example, young investors will want to buy stocks to save for retirement, whereas older investors want to sell stock to finance their retirement.
Well, we can use euphemisms or other words to describe the process of someone wanting to get a great price vs wanting to sell at the maximum price. Whatever verbage you'd like to use, you're certainly welcome.

Company profits most certainly affect the stock price, which is often accompanied by a range of measures including the price/earnings ratio. But it's generally expected profits that matter, since when you invest in a company today, you care about its profitability tomorrow, not that of yesterday. Individual investors may not think too much about it and when they buy stocks, often pick the companies they like and do business with [...]
Sure, it may affect the stock price, but it doesn't matter. As a non-dividend paying stock that I own and don't want to sell, why do I care about company profit if I never get a dividend?

Maybe this is simply a misunderstanding about the company's infinite lifetime? We tend to think of firms as going on forever... so I don't really care about Amazon's profits 100 years from now, but I can tell you that 60 years from now, there's someone who will care about the profits in 2114 (namely the person who starts saving for retirement). There's basically no reason to "close the books" and sell off the firm with all its assets for you to cash out, because there are other people who want to take over ownership of the firm.
Butwhydo they care? What can they do with AMZN shares? Most tech companiesneverpay dividends, so what value is their stock to me as an investor unless I sell it, passing along the hot potato? Theonlyargument one can make is thatpossiblyat some future date the firm will pay out dividends, and the present value of the stock price is thus reflected in that expectation. But to me, that sounds like a bogus claim used to explain why a non-dividend stock has any value at all.

Think of someone who founded his own business and passes it on to his kid. The company doesn't get sold, but the inheritance clearly has value beyond whatever salary the kid can now pay to himself. If he doesn't want to be in the business anymore, he can sell it to someone else. The only difference is that selling a local gardening business is going to be really difficult, whereas selling stocks of a large company takes a fraction of a second.
Simple fractional ownership means nothing if I cannot do anything with that ownership; it's an illusion used to facilitate the hot potato-passing. Selling an entire business to another person, sure. If I sell Dumar's chair business to Soriak, some tangible product or activity gets bought or sold. But If I buy 20 shares of AAPL, what is that? What is that in aconcretesense? It will never pay a dividend, and the only thing I can do with these 20 shares is sell them now or wait to sell them.That's it. This illusory notion of value gets perpetuated and perpetuated, onward and outwards to ridiculous levels, by no other way except passing millions of hot potatoes back and forth.

edit: a Ponzi scheme is something in which you buy something that is inherently without value in hopes that someone else will pay you more for it.
Is that not exactly what I've been describing?

By the way: I highly recommend going to a shareholder meeting, if you can. Find a company that's headquartered in your city (or nearby) and buy a single share, then go to the meeting. Most firms also stream them online (and you don't have to be a shareholder to watch), but I think this is kind of worth seeing in person. Plus, free food & beer/wine.
I've sat in on ORCL earnings calls. Talk about a waste of time!

There's a guy in Switzerland who has become semi-famous for owning a couple shares in all the major Swiss firms and going to their meetings. He's probably in his 70s and requests a few minutes of time (which he is entitled to as a shareholder) and goes on to comment about the food and the gift bag. It's usually along the lines of "much better than last year, but at company Y they had a larger selection of wines! Maybe you can fix this for next year."
Isn't that the point here? He's just wasting his time, outside of the free food and wine. There's no value in buying fractional ownership unless you're planning to sell that fractional ownership to someone else at a higher price. Hot potatoes, everywhere!

The Ancient_sl

shitlord

Thanks Soriak, now I want to do this. Do they let you attend if your stocks are held in street name?

Soriak_sl

shitlord
They'remonetarilythe same, but completely different fundamentally: and that's precisely what I'm talking about. A company paying out a dividend with whatever profits it accrued in a quarter is fundamentally different than selling the share to another trader. That's the crux of the issue, and why the value of that stock is illusory in the latter case (with regards to non-dividend stocks).
Someone could buy all shares of Amazon and liquidate the company -- and clearly that's going to net him some cash. The fact that this is theoretically possible tells you that there is underlying value to each share. Nobody actually has to go ahead and do it for this to be true. If I go ahead and liquidate a ponzi scheme, everyone but the guy at the top loses money.

And again I'm stressing the original point:if I buy a non-dividend paying stock that I never sell, what is the value of that stock?
If you put money into a savings account and never withdraw it, what's the value of your savings account?

No, see you're missing the real point.Money is used to exchange goods and services, an abstraction of value that is quantifiable. If I want to sell this chair I'm sitting in, I'll sell it for some amount of money. If I want to buy a new car, I'll spend a certain amount of money. It quantifies and mediates exchange of tangible objects and activity.
Sure, but now we're just adding another layer of abstraction. Think of it as paying with a credit card: the business is giving you a tangible good in exchange for a claim against your credit card issuer, who in turn provides this service in exchange against a claim on your money. No bills change hand, a few 1s and 0s get flipped on some system, and you walk out with a new chair.

But the process I used to gain the money was completely illusory and only existed on a market used to exchange a fabricated good, by playing hot potato with some stock.Nothing happened in the real worldthat provided me this money to buy a chair or car,and yetI am able to do so.
But something did change: the thing you owned appreciated in value. Maybe because they're expected to make more profits in the future, maybe because they found $1m in a seat cushion. You don't really know why the stock price went up or down on any given day (with few exceptions) and some of it may just be random noise. But that doesn't mean nothing is going on over an extended period of time. There's a reason GM stock isn't doing so well while Google's stock is.

Well, we can use euphemisms or other words to describe the process of someone wanting to get a great price vs wanting to sell at the maximum price. Whatever verbage you'd like to use, you're certainly welcome.
Actually, most people don't sell stocks because they think the value will be lower in the future. Most individuals buy stocks as part of their retirement savings, with money they don't need right now but will need in the future. When they do sell, it's usually because they need that money (or will need it soon and therefore put it into something less risky).

Butwhydo they care? What can they do with AMZN shares? Most tech companiesneverpay dividends, so what value is their stock to me as an investor unless I sell it, passing along the hot potato? Theonlyargument one can make is thatpossiblyat some future date the firm will pay out dividends, and the present value of the stock price is thus reflected in that expectation. But to me, that sounds like a bogus claim used to explain why a non-dividend stock has any value at all.
You can rationally expect someone to buy the share from you, because the ownership represented by that share has some value. You don't know for sure whether it will be more or less than what you paid, of course. But as long as the company has some value, someone will be interested in buying it. If, in the last case, only to liquidate the company and sell off all their assets. But given that there is someone who will do that, the share has intrinsic value (of at least as much as the company's assets are worth), so ownership becomes rational. You can think of this like the principle ofbackward inductionin game theory: you never need anyone to actually do this, but the mere possibility makes it work.

If I sell Dumar's chair business to Soriak, some tangible product or activity gets bought or sold.
What if Dumar's chair business is growing quickly and you currently don't even take a salary for yourself, just so you can reinvest all the money to keep up with growing demand? You wouldn't argue that the company was worthless just because the owner doesn't get paid immediately. There'd clearly be some value in owning a company that is selling ever more stuff.

I've sat in on ORCL earnings calls. Talk about a waste of time!
Earnings calls are pretty different; wouldn't do that to myself either.

There's no value in buying fractional ownership unless you're planning to sell that fractional ownership to someone else at a higher price. Hot potatoes, everywhere!
To you as an individual investor? Yes, the value of the stock is what you can sell it for. But to the market as a whole, there is very tangible value to the stock. You might call it individually irrational, collectively rational -- but again, the fact that it makes sense for the whole market means it also makes sense for you as an individual. You're not buying on blind faith, you buy with the understanding that there exists a market that manages the property rights for the company.

Let's take an example where it doesn't quite work so smoothly: the recent IPO of Alibaba. There, you don't actually buy even fractional ownership of the company, because Chinese law doesn't allow foreigners to make those investments in internet companies. Rather, you buy fractional ownership of a fund based in the Caymen Islands. Nowthat'sa leap of faith I wouldn't be willing to make... See here:When Investors Buy Alibaba Shares, They Wont Get What They Paid For | Public Radio East

Nowyou cannot rely on market forces and instead need faith that (a) Alibaba is going to honor those outstanding claims, (b) in the event that they don't, a Chinese court is going to require them to do so, and (c) a Chinese court is not going to invalidate the whole agreement as illegal to begin with. The whole investing in stocks thing breaks down when you don't have fractional ownership, so that the IPO may well be a Ponzi scheme. It may be one that never ends and the Chinese government may reform their laws and transform those claims into real shares (in which case the problem is resolved)... or not.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Thanks Soriak, now I want to do this. Do they let you attend if your stocks are held in street name?
Yes, but you will have to provide some kind of proof of ownership. You may have to contact your broker so they can give you a document transferring to you the right to vote with your shares (since it's held in their name).

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I'll open up a question that has stirred debate for ages when I bring it up to my circle of friends.

What is a stock's value, and why is it valuable?

And you must be absolutely precise. If a stock doesn't pay or likely will never pay dividends in your lifetime (GOOG never does, for example), then why would you buy this stock? You can't answer 'to sell it for higher' because that's simply passing the hot potato onward.What is the real value in a stock if it pays no dividend or will not in your lifetime? You will realize no value if the company sees more profit - i.e., you will realize none of that profit. The only thing you can do is sell it to another, who then sells it to another. On and on, like the hot potato. It's a giant ponzi scheme.

The answer to this question underscores everything illusory in our entire socioeconomic system, of capitalism.
The stock's value is a representation of what it would take to buy the company, if you bought all of the outstanding shares. The per-share price just allows it to be commoditized and sold on a market. The fact that individual shares are powerless and, by themselves, generally worthless in terms of controlling the company doesn't mean that in the aggregate they don't all have value.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Why even engage Dumar on this of all topics? Dirty commie fuck hates everything about our economy.
Because the question does actually come up occasionally: it's really not trivial to understand why it'snota Ponzi scheme, or why a stock that pays dividends is no different from one that does not. It certainly feels different when you get a payout from the firm's profits, but alas a different feeling is all you get.

Market economies don't work because of magic and people really should question things a lot more. Otherwise, you get politicians who think they should open up energy markets by letting consumers choose among suppliers andthe marketwill make things cheaper. Alas, not at all how it works -- and you end up with a perverse system where state-owned utilities raise their prices in an effort to get people to choose from private suppliers, who in turn use nebulous contracts to outright scam people. You just have to look at reviews of energy suppliers in New York and Pennsylvania (the two states I'm familiar with, and where I know this happens) and you'll be hard pressed to find a positive one. It's largely people saying they signed up with a supplier for X rewards program (e.g. frequent flyer miles) and after 2 months, the supplier doubled their rate. (Which, incidentally, is exactly what an economic model with inattention would predict. How many people call up their supplier to ask about next month's rate and cancel if they can find a lower one?)

Even ignoring the whole thing about shady contracts and all the opportunities to scam people, it fails the common sense test: with a state-owned utility company that buys electricity on the market, you have many suppliers and one buyer, known as a monopsony (sort of the opposite of a monopoly). That gives the utility company all the market power, and since it operates as a non-profit, in turn the consumers (aka all residents) get the lowest possible rates. There's just no way a mechanism that introduces profit-maximizing middlemen into the process is going to do anything to drive down prices.

Quite a tangent, to be sure, but I think it goes to show that questioning why markets work (or whether they work at all) serves a useful purpose.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Because the question does actually come up occasionally: it's really not trivial to understand why it'snota Ponzi scheme, or why a stock that pays dividends is no different from one that does not. It certainly feels different when you get a payout from the firm's profits, but alas a different feeling is all you get.
Right, but academic questioning of the system isn't Dumar's purpose.

MAXPOWERS_sl

shitlord
Any thoughts on Alibaba stock? It's basically the Amazon of China. They had their IPO recently and shares were selling for 92$, now down to about 70$ a share.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
My thoughts are if you bought it at $90+ a share you are an idiot.

That's a roll of the dice stock. It does have tremendous upside, but you are invested through a holding company into a Chinese company so there is a bit of added risk there. I wouldn't recommend a personal investor to get involved with it.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
I've been on hiatus due to RL issues and would like to come back to this topic if there's still interest.

Cad: I'm not talking about the definition of what a stock is - everyone already knows this; I'm talking about how it's used in reality. People rarely if ever buy stock for actual fractional ownership of a company.

Soriak: If you're still here, I'll continue. Otherwise I'm not typing another novel!

Soriak_sl

shitlord
People rarely if ever buy stock for actual fractional ownership of a company.
Sure they do. They want fractional ownership of the potential upside, which is both current revenue and future expected revenue.

Soriak: If you're still here, I'll continue. Otherwise I'm not typing another novel!
Does that answer your question?
wink.png

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Sure they do. They want fractional ownership of the potential upside, which is both current revenue and future expected revenue.
This is not correct, and it's exactly what I'm talking about. We have to be precise in our language, because what you just said and what I'm about to describe are fundamentally different.

An investor never buys stock for the purpose of owning a fractional part of a company. There is no upside to purchasing stock if no dividend is paid out because they realizeneithercurrent or expected profits paid out from this company. What theydorealize, and the only way they can realize it, is if the stock is sold at a higher price because it ticked up, possibly due to that increase in current or expected revenue. That is to say, again in precise language, this investor did not purchase the stock for any ownership - he purchased it only because he could sell it later at a higher price, and that higher price was possibly due to revenues or by something else (media hype, a Goldman bubble, etc).

That is different than what you described. What you described is someone purchasing a stock for the ownership fact itself, when no one ever does this. The stock is bought simply to be sold again at a later date. The stock price may go up or down based on company performance, but the stock itself has no concrete relationship to company earnings as realized by the owner of the stock outside of selling it.

There's no reason whatsoever to purchase non-dividend-paying stock unless you sell it again. This arrangement purely benefits the companies that issue this type of stock - it's an engine for capitalistic growth that's entirely one-sided, outside of the selling of the issued stock on the secondary market once it's been issued (which again, has no concrete relationship back to the company).

Again I ask the same - how is that not a game of hot potato? Or rather, as Taibbi describes, throwing a melon out the window and getting out before it splats.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
An investor never buys stock for the purpose of owning a fractional part of a company. There is no upside to purchasing stock if no dividend is paid out because they realizeneithercurrent or expected profits paid out from this company. What theydorealize, and the only way they can realize it, is if the stock is sold at a higher price because it ticked up, possibly due to that increase in current or expected revenue. That is to say, again in precise language, this investor did not purchase the stock for any ownership - he purchased it only because he could sell it later at a higher price, and that higher price was possibly due to revenues or by something else (media hype, a Goldman bubble, etc).
If you're arguing that the vast majority of people invest in stocks without having any desire to exercise a controlling influence over the company, then I agree.

The stock price may go up or down based on company performance, but the stock itself has no concrete relationship to company earnings as realized by the owner of the stock outside of selling it.

There's no reason whatsoever to purchase non-dividend-paying stock unless you sell it again.
I still agree.

Again I ask the same - how is that not a game of hot potato? Or rather, as Taibbi describes, throwing a melon out the window and getting out before it splats.
This doesn't follow. The underlying asset that is being traded (the company itself)doeshave value. It owns, if nothing else, all the machinery, infrastructure, inventory, patents, etc. that keep it going. There's nothing wrong with investing in something where I don't get the payoff, but someone who will buy my share gets it -- and the same logic applies to that person.

A Ponzi scheme fails because the underlying asset has no value, and the only thing keeping it going is to find new suckers to get into the game.

This arrangement purely benefits the companies that issue this type of stock - it's an engine for capitalistic growth that's entirely one-sided, outside of the selling of the issued stock on the secondary market once it's been issued (which again, has no concrete relationship back to the company).
How does a higher stock price benefit the company?

By the way: it's also worth noting that every company pays dividends at some points (or buys back shares), which people generally use to buy more stocks. The number of stocks you hold is completely meaningless... whether you have 100 stocks at $10 a share or 10 stocks at $100 a share makes no difference. Why is this different than not paying dividends in the first place?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
By the way: it's also worth noting that every company pays dividends at some points (or buys back shares)
Or a tender offer is made by an acquirer which will pick up your shares usually slightly above market value.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
NDIR.com Average return 48%. I've been doing this since 2003.

Ben Grahams formulas using data miners. simple.