Student Loans and the SAVE plan

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So after diligently paying my student loans for the last 7 years or so, I decided to check out the new Biden Income based repayment plan aka SAVE.

Even with my income, it cut my monthly payment by 90% and as long as I make my monthly payment, no interest acrues.

Now ideologically I am firmly opposed to this executive order fuckery. That being said, fuck 'em. I didn't create this stupidity but I am surely gonna take advantage of it with all the tax dollars In have paid over my lifetime. If you have a student loan open, it's probably worth your while to take a peak at this. The application took 5 minutes and they show you the new payment before you hit submit. So you can model it without consequences.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
In this era of the country, not taking advantage of any free money the government gives you isn't noble, it's just being stupid. It's like taking a voluntary handicap on your own finances. It's why I manipulate my income so we can get ACA subsidies.

I'm pretty amazed at how much they're giving you. And also that it doesn't accrue interest. That's pretty bonkers.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Was going to make a thread asking about the best way to pay off the rest of my loans. I just went ahead and nuked my one variable loan back in August before interest started kicking back in. This no interest shit intrigues me, though. In the event I can't get on that shit, what is the most efficient way to pay this off? Obviously, my rate interest rate ones go first, but numbers-wise, do I pay off the low balance ones or the high balance ones first (I'm assuming also having to pay off all the interest first and then shoving stuff into specific principal).

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Now ideologically I am firmly opposed to this executive order fuckery. That being said, fuck 'em.

You can be right either way.

My grandparents were both against social security. My grandmother refused to deposit her checks on principle. My grandfather took his because he had paid in already and was going to at least get his money back.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Was going to make a thread asking about the best way to pay off the rest of my loans. I just went ahead and nuked my one variable loan back in August before interest started kicking back in. This no interest shit intrigues me, though. In the event I can't get on that shit, what is the most efficient way to pay this off? Obviously, my rate interest rate ones go first, but numbers-wise, do I pay off the low balance ones or the high balance ones first (I'm assuming also having to pay off all the interest first and then shoving stuff into specific principal).
Honest question. What is you AGI on your 2022 taxes and what is your family size? This is all you need to determine the amount you will be paying back. And the amount will drop in 2024 when more changes are set to occur.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You can be right either way.

My grandparents were both against social security. My grandmother refused to deposit her checks on principle. My grandfather took his because he had paid in already and was going to at least get his money back.
I felt the exact same way about my first EV credit. I disagree with the $7500 credit, but since they chose to pass it, I put that bitch in my pocket.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Do you have private, state or federal loans? If they are public, do you know what program code they are?

Long story short depending on when you went to school it's either very simple or very complex. The easiest is to get the summary data from NSLDS. If you have only direct Stafford loans left or a consolidation loan with ED (though it would be serviced by another company) you just need to pick the best repayment program for your situation. If it's just full repayment of the loans, the best interest accrual situation and pay unsubsidized loans off first in highest interest order on top of your minimums.

If you still have some FFEL loans, those are more complicated. There's also edge cases like Pell overpayments or TEACH act loan conversions or things like that.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Also, just a note if anyone is really struggling, SAVE actually lets married couples file separately. If you currently file jointly but a low income spouse has the large loan balance, that alone could cut your total combined loan repayment.

Also, they are apparently allowing early forgiveness on under 12K to ten years. Coupled with rules changes to count deferral periods, this means potentially that even high income people who are in that zone and have been making 10 years worth of payments or deferrals could swap to SAVE next year (maybe out of a 30 yr) and immediately apply for 12K in funny money (though you still get the 1099). Will have to see how that plays out because that seems like a free 12K min to any savvy borrower right now...

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Also, just a note if anyone is really struggling, SAVE actually lets married couples file separately. If you currently file jointly but a low income spouse has the large loan balance, that alone could cut your total combined loan repayment.

Also, they are apparently allowing early forgiveness on under 12K to ten years. Coupled with rules changes to count deferral periods, this means potentially that even high income people who are in that zone and have been making 10 years worth of payments or deferrals could swap to SAVE next year (maybe out of a 30 yr) and immediately apply for 12K in funny money (though you still get the 1099). Will have to see how that plays out because that seems like a free 12K min to any savvy borrower right now...
For anyone here with a student loan, its worth logging in and taking a look at it. The process is quite painless and considering its the gubmint, its quite shocking.

This site is for the application and it can also pull up all your student loan info.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Fucking pinko commie bastards.
Take A Bow Thank You GIF by Iliza

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Aren't you like 80 years old, why are you still repaying student loans commie.
I went to college when I was about 50. Loans were subsidized so low interest rates so I took the loans and invested it in the S&P500

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I went to college when I was about 50. Loans were subsidized so low interest rates so I took the loans and invested it in the S&P500
So you just stole money from the government to invest in stonks? Looking at the pillow I'm putting in my bag so I can nap on the clock, doesn't look like it'll be fair for me to judge.

call the midwife GIF by PBS

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Also, they are apparently allowing early forgiveness on under 12K to ten years. Coupled with rules changes to count deferral periods, this means potentially that even high income people who are in that zone and have been making 10 years worth of payments or deferrals
This is exactly what let me get 100% of mine forgiven early this year (PSLF program). I think theres a cap in place now but I got all mine wiped out. >60k

Sometimes clown world takes your money, sometimes you eat the bear.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So you just stole money from the government to invest in stonks? Looking at the pillow I'm putting in my bag so I can nap on the clock, doesn't look like it'll be fair for me to judge.

call the midwife GIF by PBS
They offered to loan me the money. I tried to say no but they insisted. Don't blame me because I studied Finance and Econ and can do time value of money equations.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This is exactly what let me get 100% of mine forgiven early this year (PSLF program). I think theres a cap in place now but I got all mine wiped out. >60k

Sometimes clown world takes your money, sometimes you eat the bear.
And the best part is the forgiveness doesn't count as income like it would if a credit card debt was waived away.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
In this era of the country, not taking advantage of any free money the government gives you isn't noble, it's just being stupid. It's like taking a voluntary handicap on your own finances. It's why I manipulate my income so we can get ACA subsidies.

I'm pretty amazed at how much they're giving you. And also that it doesn't accrue interest. That's pretty bonkers.
Yeah I try to explain this to people on both sides of the spectrum all the time.

You do not get any bonus points awarded at the end of this game for choosing to play it badly.

• 4Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Our payments will drop to zero next year when I file our 2023 taxes and include the amortization and depreciation on the business and office building we bought this year.

London Comedy GIF by Don't Hate The Playaz

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Because I paid off my student loans I can righteously state that anyone who takes advantage of this is stealing from me personally.

Also I hope this makes it so that my kids aren't burdened with debt and my savings aren't annihilated with overpriced tuition costs.

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity