Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth - Coming April 15th

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My Jason Isbell thread died instantly in here but as I recall a couple people were into Sturgill Simpson's last album. New album drops on tax day and he has released two videos off of it, including his cover of Nirvana's "In Bloom" which I'm not totally sold on but I definitely like the other song.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
his last album was great, its way outside what I normally listen to. looking forward to this.

Simas_sl

shitlord
I really dig the In Bloom cover. I've been debating pre-ordering the album to get special blue vinyl and turntable slip mat. It looks pretty sweet. He's got some Tool video thing going on this time around.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Sturgill Simpson has some pretty fantastic stuff.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
He's got some Tool video thing going on this time around.
The first time I heard the song "It Ain't All Flowers" I thought that if Tool made a country song this would be it. Later I found out that he was very into Tool when he was younger and even followed them on tour.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I bought the album on Friday and listened to it about 3 times over the weekend. It's a pretty big departure from the last album to say the least. Not bad, but there are a shitload of horns in it and surprisingly little guitar or anything that sounds very "country" aside from Sturgill's voice. I'm a lyrics guy and it's going to take me a few more listens to really figure out the lyrics of some of the songs but as of now I can't really imagine this being anywhere near as good as "Meta-modern Sounds in Country Music" for me.

Simas_sl

shitlord
One lyric is "get high, play a little Golden Eye, that old 64" which is amazing.

On the horns, from that NPR review above:

In both "Keep It Between The Lines" and "All Around You," and throughout the album, Simpson takes as his cue the sounds of the late 1960s, when white and African-American musicians interwove rhythms in classic tracks that reflected the promise of the Civil Rights Movement. Simpson partnered with the historically minded horn section The Dap-Kings for five of the album's nine tracks, and his own band, especially the organ player Bobby Emmett and the stellar guitarist Laur Joamets, fully embrace the funky mood. "Brace For Impact (Live A Little)" goes for the greasy country blues of Tony Joe White; "Welcome To Earth (Pollywog)" begins as a tender ballad only to jump into a serious Memphis groove halfway through. This is one way Simpson challenges those listeners who liked what he did last time; his country inflections remain strong, but without becoming a full-fledged blue-eyed soul singer, he's insisting that his roots grow in the same ground where Wilson Pickett and Otis Redding once stood.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Caught his set at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Fest and I was really impressed. This music is pretty far outside my typical wheelhouse but I'm into it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Not in my typical range as well but came across his second album 'Metamodern' and really connected with it. As much as the musicianship, I appreciate that it seems he really just does it his way / avoids music biz bs. Music as it's supposed to be.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
One lyric is "get high, play a little Golden Eye, that old 64" which is amazing.

"Sea Stories" is my favorite song on this album and the whole last verse is awesome.

Sometimes Sirens send a ship off course
Horizon gets so hazy
Maybe get high, play a little GoldenEye
On that old sixtyfour
And if you get sick and can't manage the kick
And get yourself kicked out the navy
You'll spend the next year trying to score
From a futon life raft on the floor
And the next fifteen trying to figure out
What the hell you did that for

But flying high beats dying for lies
In a politician's war

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
Way behind the times, but I listened to this and Metamodern sounds today on a long drive and throughly enjoyed both.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Way behind the times, but I listened to this and Metamodern sounds today on a long drive and throughly enjoyed both.
I haven't listened to this enough yet, but Metamodern is one of my favorite albums of the past few years - top 5 I'd say.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
If you guys like Sturgill, you should check out some of his compatriots in the "not on the radio" country scene.

Jason Isbell - This guy is my favorite.

Margo Price -

and somewhat more mainstream but still really good,

Chris Stapleton. Seems more like blues than country to me but he can really sing -

Zac Brown Band -