Subnautica

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm a bit confused. you don't play as the chad in the trailer?
no, but that's par for the course with subnautica trailers. in the first one the trailer is from the POV of the degasi crew, which crashed years before the aurora

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Kinda agree with the previous comments, though I think I tried to jump from 1 to 2 way too close together.

I beat Subnautica 1 about 3 weeks ago, game was freaking amazing. Without posting spoilers the end game is plagued by poor performance in a couple of areas and due to some travel methods and that was the only complaint I had about the game. Loved the story, loved the lack of hand holding, loved the fact that I actually got legitimately scared a few times swimming around, all the way until I got my prawn suit and then there wasn't really much to be legit scared about.

I loaded Subnautica 2 last weekend and ran from the ice to the underwater lab or whatever it is, once the chick started talking to herself like "Hmm, I should head to the east and see if I can find Dr. so and so's PDA, then go over here and blah blah blah" I was turned off pretty quickly. That and going from prawn suit with full upgrades to 20 seconds worth of oxygen again within the span of 3 weeks made the game pretty unappealing to me. Maybe I'll try it again in a few months, but I really wasn't excited about this one. Granted, I gave it zero shot so far.
i'm not ENTIRELY sure what the issue is... there are PLENTY of games where the main character gives little audio cues on where the player should go next and it's fine. "thinking outloud" is an extremely common narrative tool. but with this game when it happens it just... i've said it before and so many others have as well, but the sense of dread is just gone in this one. it's GOTTA be the land areas as well as the constant dialogue... but that SHOULDN'T be what does it...

Goonsquad Officer
Just thst moment in subnautivs 1 where you climb out of the capsule and see literally no land. And your starship is burning is such a powerful moment. You start to ponder the implications.

In 2 strong wamen gets her buddy to send her down on purpose to find her equally strong wamen of color sister. She lands with land and facilities all around. No doom. No fear. Just strong wamen

Goonsquad Officer
man even the edge of the map is disapointing. i got to it and it just gently rolls down looking like nothing. no precipice, no cliff face. if you got 6 feet down the hill your screen turbo blacks out and the wakandan illhan omar voice barks at you that your'e entering an ecological dead zone and death is eminent.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I just beat Below Zero a few minutes ago. I thought I missed a key area or went way out of order because
I cured the leviathan and Robin was like "I'm just glad I got the opportunity to do what Sam wanted" or something like that. Completely out of left field. Two minutes before the end of the game I found station zero where there's PDAs of Sam talking about how she's gonna cure it.

Also, there were some materials that had no use? Nuclear was hinted at but I never found a recipe that utilized the uranium or nuclear reactors?

It was enjoyable, but having constant communication and waypoints made this inferior to the first game in many, many ways.

Edit: Yep I did miss a couple critical spots. Well, clearly not critical for game progression, but arguably critical for getting the most enjoyment out of the game... In hindsight, once I found that map in the Delta base, I should've set about going to all the bases. But it seemed like every time I turned around I was being sent to scan alien artifact locations. Oh well.

Last edited: