Subnautica

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Fuck me. I miss the dude from the first game who had zero lines of dialog compared to the new protagonist and all the long winded data recordings.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Vastly different feel to this game. Not really much dread and there's very little "open" water that you have to traverse. Land stuff's mechanic isn't nearly as interesting. Girl talks too much and it has a much heavier focus on the story/narration that you don't have to find ala datapads/etc; It's fairly laid out.

Still fun for the most part (No "giant" sub kinda sucks, but the prawn is -much- more agile in the water in this game; it hauls ass) though it actually has -less- information to go on and you have to wait for people to straight up tell you to go to x location and create the ping on your map. I'd say it isn't as good as the first, overall.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
I'm itching to try it anyway despite all the middling reviews. Hard decision.
Same. Separate from the story and exploration, I thought the game mechanics and engine were great in the original. It doesn't sound like that part went backwards so I'd say they've earned a play through from me.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm definitely not saying it's bad; the original is one of the best and tensest experiences in gaming imo. This still good, just not as good as the original in most aspects.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm definitely not saying it's bad; the original is one of the best and tensest experiences in gaming imo. This still good, just not as good as the original in most aspects.
yeah, 100% agree. below zero isn't a BAD game by any stretch. they added some interesting things to build and whatnot. the issue is the delivery of the story and setting.

it's kind of an odd duck in that the first one had a lot of complaints because the bread crumbs were super vague and usually just sent you out to find some place 600 meters down. you had to look around for places that even went that far down. whereas below zero goes too far in the other direction; holding your hand too much.

personally i think the first one pretty perfectly balanced the frustration of forcing you to just go out and look, the fear of the unknown, and the human desire to explore the unknown. this one doesn't balance that out as well, i don't think. but the first set that bar HIGH so just because it doesn't balance it as well, doesn't mean it's bad.

• 1Like

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
The first one feels like what you thought Lost was going to be, the second feels like what Lost ended up actually being.

The first one has so many amazing gaming memories and almost all of them were due to being completely isolated and stranded. There was no comms chatter when you were deciding whether or not to take the cyclops into an opening barely big enough for it because you were trying to find an underground river and it made the experience incredibly tense and creepy. It earned every reaction and emotion that it wrung out of the player with a long string of good design decisions but those all branched off of isolation and mystery. Removing half of that equation creates diminishing returns along the rest of the chain.

It was like a futuristic, underwater, Robinson Crusoe that has now shifted into After Earth, but it honestly seems like it would have been borderline impossible to ever top the first one.

• 2Like

Goonsquad Officer
I found it to be a lot clumsier for getting stuck on objects than the first. Invisible objects in halls between modules. Easy to get stuck on dry walking portions.

I would have rather had a device I had to manually check for nearby alien points of interest. The game is certainly more "quest and follow the markers" than the original.

New objects ro builr are nice, but the scale in part 1 is so much bigger so far. Itd not like the original where your prawn could fall from a high vantage and sink into the grand reef, deep reef and then have to crawl out. No vast empty so far that is meaningful so I've been prawn hopping everywhere.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Beat it this morning. Was enjoyable, but not as good as the first. I think part of that was having the formula for these games memorized at this point (I just played Breathedge in the last couple of months, which is Subnautica in space. If you are fans of the genre, check it out), so it was less the "wonder" of everything and more: Collect the Resources, Build the Vehicles, Follow the Plot.

Whereas the first game I was like, holy shit, I am alone in the fucking ocean, what do i do? Obviously nothing will ever match that first time experience, but it was still a good game, and the tie ins to the first part were enjoyable for expanding the story. Although in the grand scheme the overall plot didn't really move too much, more a separate adventure entirely that just happened to share the same setting.

• 2Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, I am feeling like the first one is a 9.5/10 or maybe a 10/10... whereas this one is like a solid 7/10. It is fine, but nothing to write home about.

There really isn't much that feels original, it is all derivative. Which is fine, but it just doesn't have the same magic. It really does feel like they spoon feed progression and upgrades to you this time around, whereas the first made you feel stretched, uncomfortable, and that you earned it. I also am not getting the same level of immersion or sense of terror/dread from the ocean. It just doesn't feel as dangerous or scary this time around.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think it's all the land and conversation. Being stuck in an environment where you are guaranteed to drown or get eaten by a scary sea monster, in mostly silence, has a way different dread than "Oh hey there's an island right here, and shitloads of icebergs, and constant conversation" feel.

I beat it yesterday, about 13 hours clocked in, and I was more annoyed at the
shadow leviathan attacking my prawn
than being even remotely scared. No huge
Sea dragon king for a "final boss", just some annoying catfish monsters
was a letdown. Game just sort of... ends. Didn't feel nearly as epic as the first game.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think it's all the land and conversation. Being stuck in an environment where you are guaranteed to drown or get eaten by a scary sea monster, in mostly silence, has a way different dread than "Oh hey there's an island right here, and shitloads of icebergs, and constant conversation" feel.
See this is what has kept me from pulling the trigger on Below Zero. Honestly feel like I'd enjoy yet another playthrough of the main game than playing through Below Zero.

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
Id kill for all the assets on subnautica 1 with some of the qol from 2, crammed into procedurally generated or randomized placement world.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Give me the seatruck in Subnautica 1 and i'd be a happy camper. The giant sub was cool but it was too large to explore most places. And echo about getting stuck in shit constantly in 2.

skylan

Trakanon Raider
Kinda agree with the previous comments, though I think I tried to jump from 1 to 2 way too close together.

I beat Subnautica 1 about 3 weeks ago, game was freaking amazing. Without posting spoilers the end game is plagued by poor performance in a couple of areas and due to some travel methods and that was the only complaint I had about the game. Loved the story, loved the lack of hand holding, loved the fact that I actually got legitimately scared a few times swimming around, all the way until I got my prawn suit and then there wasn't really much to be legit scared about.

I loaded Subnautica 2 last weekend and ran from the ice to the underwater lab or whatever it is, once the chick started talking to herself like "Hmm, I should head to the east and see if I can find Dr. so and so's PDA, then go over here and blah blah blah" I was turned off pretty quickly. That and going from prawn suit with full upgrades to 20 seconds worth of oxygen again within the span of 3 weeks made the game pretty unappealing to me. Maybe I'll try it again in a few months, but I really wasn't excited about this one. Granted, I gave it zero shot so far.

• 1Solidarity