Suggestion for PC player to get into occasional console side (PS4)..........

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Any of you who live on both sides of the PC/Console world have any suggestions for me on this ?

I've been a PC only player for years (Xwing/SSI gold box on) and will always prefer a keyboard and mouse , but would like to pickup a PS4 just for some occasional quick fix gaming. I'm not looking to be pro level COD crew , just something that's reasonable to hop into and get the hang of a controller in multiplayer shooter land. (obviously no issues with platforms being from the NES days).

I've just always raged every time I've tried before being used to the keyboard and mouse so much more , and was wondering would something like Warframe or BF4 be good for an occasional foray ?

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
I don't think I understand what you're asking. Consoles have a lot of awesome games but I don't know why you'd play an FPS on them when you have a gaming rig. Get a console for the exquisite and exclusive gems like Demon's Souls or Naughty Dog's offerings or Journey, etc etc. BF4 on PS4 is by all accounts - all accounts not laced with master race rhetoric - a technically proficient if not overwhelmingly impressive spectacle, but why play it on a controller, and better visuals if your rig can handle it?

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I do both, but you've got to be clearer about what you are considering.

If its FPS on console over PC - generally most people don't consider that wise.

Sean_sl

shitlord
No one here would seriously advocate playing a crossplatform FPS on a console. If you want to just "DudeBro it up" then sure, CoD/BF play fine on a console if that's the type of experience you want. But if you want to play "competitive multiplayer" stick with your PC. If all you're looking for is casual play then yeah, you can just grab a console.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The Uncharted series cured me of my deep-seated hatred for gamepads. I still will never play a non-exclusive FPS/TPS game on a console when it's also on PC, but I can play competently enough now to enjoy the exclusives that are worth playing. I even opt to use a gamepad on my PC from time to time, when the mouse controls are exceptionally shitty (e.g. Bioshock Infinite) due to acceleration and/or smoothing that cannot be completely shut off.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Not looking to leave PC gaming , nor replace it , what I'm asking is are any particular games on the PS4 "easy" on the grabbing a controller every so often and jumping in for 30 mins of multiplayer action. Why ? Because as a sys engineer every once in a while I get sick of sitting even at my gaming rig setup and rather sack out on the couch and play on the big screen. Was just curious if there were any PC players who found any games in particular that the console side seemed more forgiving controllers wise , as vast majority of my gaming time will remain on the PC.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Not looking to leave PC gaming , nor replace it , what I'm asking is are any particular games on the PS4 "easy" on the grabbing a controller every so often and jumping in for 30 mins of multiplayer action. Why ? Because as a sys engineer every once in a while I get sick of sitting even at my gaming rig setup and rather sack out on the couch and play on the big screen. Was just curious if there were any PC players who found any games in particular that the console side seemed more forgiving controllers wise , as vast majority of my gaming time will remain on the PC.
You can definitely do that. None are really more "forgiving" over another via fps controls on gamepads, it's just a matter of getting used to it and having a good controller. The PS4 controller is probably the best of the bunch when it comes to gamepads for shooters though, it has almost no dead zone (a big issue with PS3/X360 gamepads) and the sticks are just about the right tightness, so it has great accuracy for a controller. It also has the best ergonomics, etc.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
But...if you don't have a console currently, don't get a PS4 imo, get a PS3. There just aren't enough games on the PS4 to warrant it being your only console right now imo.

PS3's library is amazing.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Thanks for the tips. Just leaning towards the PS4 over getting a 3 because I really like the feature of being able to plug in standard headphones to the controller (I'm assuming this is a PS4 feature and not 3). I figure also one or two games will keep me entertained enough on it since it's going to be an occasional thing anyway.

spronk

FPS noob
the only two games worth playing on ps4 right now are AC4 and Need for Speed, both easily satisfy the quick 30-90 minute gaming itch while chilling out and laid back on the sofa. play BF4 on the PC, its a vastly vastly vastly better experience due to all the reasons mentioned. I'm like you too, although I probably play 70% on my pc, 20% on my 3ds xl or vita, and 10% on my ps4 but I do enjoy my small PS4 playtime. Get a PS+ sub and there are a few free games you get with it like resogun (fun), contrast, and DriveClub in feb/march. NBA 2k14 is great if you love sports, I just couldn't get into the sports part of the game but the visuals are amazing.

Keep in mind too by the end of the year we should hopefully see steambox and Steam controllers out, and it may be a good alternative especially if more work is done on streaming your desktop games to a steambox. Full access to your steam library, saves, etc while playing on a big screen is pretty awesome especially when you consider how so, so, so, so much better the steam deals are than anything consoles put out (except for PS+, but thats a tiny selection compared to humble/gmg/amazon/steam).

Zuuljin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Not looking to leave PC gaming , nor replace it , what I'm asking is are any particular games on the PS4 "easy" on the grabbing a controller every so often and jumping in for 30 mins of multiplayer action. Why ? Because as a sys engineer every once in a while I get sick of sitting even at my gaming rig setup and rather sack out on the couch and play on the big screen.
If just playing on the big screen/couch is what your after, another alternative is to hook your PC up to your TV and play that way. Steam has lots of games that support a gamepad. I just got mine setup for this and have been playing lots of games that way. Best part, if someone wants to use the TV, I can just unhook it, and continue playing it on my PC. Really kind of awesome except for the hassle of running cables.

Szlia

There is something a bit depressing about this "I am sometimes tired to play multiplayer FPS on my PC, so for a change of pace I'd like to play some multiplayer FPS on my TV" stance. Why not play something else entirely?

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I do agree with whomever said get a PS3. They have tons of cheap good games, are easy to setup, and you can get one from cowboom or elsewhere fairly cheap and in good shape.

Half the PC games out now are crappy console ports so I don't think you'll have any issues. I've been playing Dishonored, Darksiders 2, and Walking Dead for my console games and those aren't stereotypical shooters but all play great with a controller and I feel are good quick couch games.

spronk

FPS noob
nvidia also announced last night that their shield device will let you stream PC games to a TV - the shield streams pc games to itself, and has 720p TV output over hdmi. I think the valve version should be better, Valve holds their CES conference today I believe.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You could just slam your dick in the disk tray a few times. That's probably more fun than most console games.