Suing Warner for falsely collecting royalties on "Happy Birthday" song

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Lawsuit Filed To Prove Happy Birthday Is In The Public Domain; Demands Warner Pay Back Millions Of License Fees | Techdirt

Happy Birthday remains the most profitable song ever. Every year, it is the song that earns the highest royalty rates, sent to Warner/Chappell Music (which makes millions per year from "licensing" the song). However, as we've been pointing out for years, the song is almost certainly in the public domain. Robert Brauneis did some fantastic work a few years ago laying out why the song's copyright clearly expired many years ago, even as Warner/Chappell pretends otherwise.
The creatively named Good Morning to You Productions, a documentary film company planning a film about the song Happy Birthday, has now filed a lawsuit concerning the copyright of Happy Birthday and is seeking to force Warner/Chappell to return the millions of dollars it has collected over the years.
Hope they win huge.

Feien

Ploppers
The article seems to be a year old and some people claim that the suit has been dismissed though some others state otherwise, I'm just too lazy to dig deep, but if it still stands I do hope Warner looses.

OneofOne

Yep, it's from last year. It's still in court and expected to be ruled upon in November.

OneofOne

Pretty much. It's 75 years past the death of the creator, so Mickey Mouse - though created in 1928 - won't be in the public domain until 2041. Disney died in '66.

Szlia

It's a little more complicated than that. I checked for Popeye who I know fell into the public domain except... it did not in the US:

wikipedia_sl said:
On January 1, 2009, 70 years since the death of his creator, Segar's character of Popeye (though not the various films, TV shows, theme music and other media based on him) became public domain[5] in most countries, but remains under copyright in the United States. Because Segar was an employee of King Features Syndicate when he created the Popeye character for the company's Thimble Theatre strip, Popeye is treated as a work for hire under U.S. copyright law. Works for hire are protected for 95 years from publication or 120 years from creation, whichever is shorter. Since Popeye made his first appearance in January 1929, and all U.S. copyrights expire on December 31 of the year that the term ends, Popeye will not enter the public domain in the U.S. until January 1, 2025 (assuming that no further term extensions are passed into law in the interim)