Switch emulators Ryujinx and Yuzu

spronk

FPS noob
Since its not really appropriate to junk the TOTK thread with emu talk thought I'd make a seperate thread for switch emulators, since I'm kinda getting into it.

There are two big switch emulators on PC, Ryujinx and Yuzu. Yuzu is a spinoff from the Wii U emulator CEMU. Ryujinx is a completely seperate switch emulator.

Both are 100% legal, the illegality occurs when you start asking for links to firmware keys, ROM file links, yadda yadda. For purposes of discussion the legal disclaimer is you are buying the switch games and dumping the firmware on a hacked switch so you are always working with a legal copy of something you own.

Ryujinx home page

Yuzu

Ryujinx reddit

Yuzu

• 2Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
Luigi's mansion running at a clean 120 fps with upscaling on a 3080 PC

That is absolutely nuts considering by default the game runs at 30 fps on a switch

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
I've been running TOTK for a week now, no issues the past 3-4 days although I am running at 30 fps albeit with massive texture and rendering upscaling. Looks absolutely gorgeous, I actually own the physical version as well (collectors edition) and have played a few mins on my switch but it honestly looks meh in comparison. I also really like having mods and stuff and the ability to snapshot my saves so I can restore to certain checkpoints if I really want. I might some day finish on an actual switch but dunno, probably not till switch 2.

You can download early access versions of yuzu here

This subreddit has lots of info on the actual mechanisms of downloading firmware, ROMs, setups, etc

The CPU is the main block for FPS/emulation, while people are getting it to run at 60 fps on slower machines a more recent CPU is much better to hit 60 fps. 30 fps is still right now the better option, 60 FPS causes issues with weapon/menu switching and cutscenes run double speed. It should be fixed fairly soon, while there are hacks people are using to make the game run great at 60 fps a yuzu patch to make cutscenes run at perfect 30 fps while game runs at 60 fps is coming soon.

You can see what the game looks like with a reshader, it pops a bit more and the yellow "pee filter" is gone (reshader toggled on at 22 secs)

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Luigi's mansion running at a clean 120 fps with upscaling on a 4090 PC

That is absolutely nuts considering by default the game runs at 30 fps on a switch
It looks good but I’m not sure why you think that’s nuts. Running on the top of the line gaming card available in 2023 versus a 2014 tablet chip. What’s the horsepower difference there, like 100x? 1000x? I’d be more inclined to think it was nuts if it couldn’t.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
The accomplishment is being able to emulate the hardware environment that the software was written for and getting that level of performance without breaking it.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah I wonder how well the ps3/360 emulators run, those systems are nearly a decade OLDER than the switch and afaik the ps3 emulator is still kinda bad. not sure about xenia (360). I've got em on my steam deck but never really found the desire to try since all games I would want to play from that gen have gotten remasters on PC anyways.

even botw on the switch doesn't run a perfect emulation, iirc people have issues with going over 30 fps and performance issues. Thats mostly because all the effort and focus is emulating the wii u version which runs flawlessly I hear.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The accomplishment is being able to emulate the hardware environment that the software was written for and getting that level of performance without breaking it.
Eh, emulating ARM isn't very hard on x86, it's not like it's some alien hardware.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
yeah I wonder how well the ps3/360 emulators run, those systems are nearly a decade OLDER than the switch and afaik the ps3 emulator is still kinda bad. not sure about xenia (360). I've got em on my steam deck but never really found the desire to try since all games I would want to play from that gen have gotten remasters on PC anyways.

even botw on the switch doesn't run a perfect emulation, iirc people have issues with going over 30 fps and performance issues. Thats mostly because all the effort and focus is emulating the wii u version which runs flawlessly I hear.
Isn’t that because ps3 was on some highly custom pos platform?

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
I wonder if my potato pc can run it at native@30 fps. (R5 3550h / 16go / GTX 1650 )
You recommend Yuzu for starter, i don't want mods or something ?

cradeg

Molten Core Raider
If i get TOTK on my switch, is it worth the effort to get it running on steamdeck ?

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Since its not really appropriate to junk the TOTK thread with emu talk thought I'd make a seperate thread for switch emulators, since I'm kinda getting into it.

There are two big switch emulators on PC, Ryujinx and Yuzu. Yuzu is a spinoff from the Wii U emulator CEMU. Ryujinx is a completely seperate switch emulator.

Both are 100% legal, the illegality occurs when you start asking for links to firmware keys, ROM file links, yadda yadda. For purposes of discussion the legal disclaimer is you are buying the switch games and dumping the firmware on a hacked switch so you are always working with a legal copy of something you own.

Ryujinx home page

Yuzu

Ryujinx reddit

Yuzu
Do you actually need a switch to perform any of the steps other than getting the license key parts? Curious to explore this but on the off chance it bricks the switch, would rather leave that to the end

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Do you actually need a switch to perform any of the steps other than getting the license key parts? Curious to explore this but on the off chance it bricks the switch, would rather leave that to the end
Well the "legal" answer is yes absolutely what are you a thief? The actual answer is obviously, no.

You download a rom somewhere and the only thing you need is the key that you would usually get out of your Switch using a convoluted system(which also doesn't work if your Switch is patched up since it needs to be able to load random programs), but you can find said keys on forums or reddit or whatever(basically you just google it and find one that works). The key is unique but there's no check for its uniqueness or authenticity or anything so nothing prevents you from just grabbing any random key like you're installing Windows 98 or something.

spronk

FPS noob

technically you don't need a switch at all, i have a "friend" who just downloaded the 16.0.2 firmware and prod.key and title.key from websites (they change constantly) which you load into ryujinx or yuzu. Thats all you need to make the emulators "complete" as far as making it a full switch emulation. Then you need the game ROM files, which come as NSP (cartridge dumps) or XCI (eshop dumps) plus update files (NSP) plus any mods/cheats you may want. There are again many sites for it

I've heard of these two

www (dot) rutracker (dot) org/forum/viewforum.php?f=1605

and on reddit reddit (dot) com/r/NewYuzuPiracy

are two big hubs that have everything you need but you have to wade through a lot of retards asking retarded questions.

re: steam deck, I've seen people report now they are getting flawless runs at 30 or 40 fps but its constantly being changed and tweaked, I'm waiting for a stable since even desktop PC is ups and downs.

one "trick" for steam deck is to run a program called moonlight which lets you stream your desktop PC to any device, including deck. So if you have a good PC you can just "run" the game on there but control it on the deck and people are reporting that works great. I do have a deck but not going on vacation until fall, i'll fuck around with deck running switch stuff then since all this stuff is constantly being tweaked every week to be better and better.

Be prepared to spend a few hours learning all this stuff, I went so far as to learn how to compile my own versions of yuzu so I can apply new fixes and early access forks but its nice, I don't depend on randos putting out builds with possible viruses. I probably spent a good 4-5 hours just reading about yuzu and emulation.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well the "legal" answer is yes absolutely what are you a thief? The actual answer is obviously, no.

You download a rom somewhere and the only thing you need is the key that you would usually get out of your Switch using a convoluted system(which also doesn't work if your Switch is patched up since it needs to be able to load random programs), but you can find said keys on forums or reddit or whatever(basically you just google it and find one that works). The key is unique but there's no check for its uniqueness or authenticity or anything so nothing prevents you from just grabbing any random key like you're installing Windows 98 or something.
It's amazing the amount of things I've lost over the edge of a boat in choppy waters, my switch/roms included. Cheers

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I've always been a fan of emulating retro games (everything up to and including PS1 I've got running in one form or another...don't ask, friend gave me a modded PS Classic) but not keen on emulating current gen stuff which I really do kind of view as stealing or missing the point of the system or whatever. I just don't like it. That said, Nintendo hasn't left us much choice with their underpowered-ass console. It's a great portable, for sure. Tremendous portable. But as far as TV home consoles go, the PS5 and every other modern system makes the Switch look like dogshit in action.

So if I want to play the latest two Zeldas and have them actually look good (I couldn't get into BOTW with how washed-out it was) I pretty much have to emulate 'em. Seeing them in action in videos of Yuzu makes me want to play them way more than Switch footage does.

Is TOTK 30 FPS on the actual Switch? Cause that's sad

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
How are the controls on emulated TOTK? Do you use an xbox or something with it?

I really liked the gamepad/mouse combo for Elden Ring. Left hand on the gamepad for movement control and right hand on the mouse for camera control.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
How are the controls on emulated TOTK? Do you use an xbox or something with it?

I really liked the gamepad/mouse combo for Elden Ring. Left hand on the gamepad for movement control and right hand on the mouse for camera control.
Use whatever controller you want. 8bitdo pro 2 is pretty good for playing switch. It’s what I use for pc gaming and when playing my kids switch.

spronk

FPS noob
I've seen people post videos using kbm, xbox and dualshocks also work fine. There are mods that change the controller displays to show xbox or DualShock if you use those although I don't bother, by default with a regular controller it shows the switch pro controller which looks like xbox and it doesn't bother me that A/B are flipped on those.

I use an xbox elite 2 controller with mine, its really nice since I mapped back paddles to d-pad buttons so I can swap stuff without having to take my fingers off paddles. I also flipped A/B inside Yuzu since I'm totally used to the ps5/xbox A/B buttons and not the reverse that japan does. To be fair can do that on the switch as well with a pro controller, the switch OS supports it for a while now

some people use ps5 dualsense's and i've seen some cool stuff with mapping different areas of the touch pad to different actions.

spronk

FPS noob
TOTK at 4k 60 fps (closer to 45-50 really) with a raytracing beta mod on a 4090/intel 13th gen

the raytracing stuff is sorta interesting, i honestly don't think it adds a lot but you can definitely see the difference in pre-rendered light (lamps) vs ray traced light & shadows

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
TOTK at 4k 60 fps (closer to 45-50 really) with a raytracing beta mod on a 4090/intel 13th gen

the raytracing stuff is sorta interesting, i honestly don't think it adds a lot but you can definitely see the difference in pre-rendered light (lamps) vs ray traced light & shadows

Okay, now I'm interested, how do I pirate the fuck out of this shit?

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users