SWTOR

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Well, the key is you don't have to give a shit about aggro on the non elite/strong wimp mobs. They all vaporize to the hail of AOE your dps will bomb them with. If they are spread out and you care you can always LOS them but even in 55 hardmodes that is mostly a waste.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Well, the key is you don't have to give a shit about aggro on the non elite/strong wimp mobs. They all vaporize to the hail of AOE your dps will bomb them with. If they are spread out and you care you can always LOS them but even in 55 hardmodes that is mostly a waste.
/\ What server are you on? Side?

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I almost did it. I broke down and redownloaded the game. Installed it and found I'm still preferred status. I logged in and my first 5 interactions all led me to the store. Logged off and uninstalled. I mean ffs, just to complete a quest with all reward options you have to visit the damn store?! This is why I dread FTP games. Shit like this.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Preferred status is for life if you ever spent $5 or more I think? But yea my last attempt was during summer but lasted about two hoverbike rounds around the station before I had enough. Although I gotta say just the music and sound effects from that space patch video almost sucked me back in, just because 'Star Wars'.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I subbed and got free cartel coins, with them I got a newcomer bundle that had a speeder in it. So between perma sprint from level 1 and the speeder, I'm blazing through content quickly and I gotta admit the SW universe it's still beautiful. I don't mind the bear asses quests (droid asses?) much these days, I just go on autopilot and try to meet new people when doing those 2/4 players stuff.
The community so far it's very nice, which left me puzzled and amazed at the same time.

I went with sorcerer (lightning is addictive), will level as hybrid and end up healing (as usual) at end game. It's still a buggy game, but it's also fun enough with an interesting story behind it. I can see myself playing it for a couple months.

As I said I intend to pay my 13?/month, but aside from that, anything interesting in the market that I could purchase? I'm quite an altoholic if that matters.
I read somewhere that it's possible to upgrade at deluxe to receive a free speeder and a bunch of extra crap for each character created, but managing my account it said I couldn't buy it due to me not having a registered copy of swtor or something like that (can't check now the exact quote).

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
No idea, the only thing I've used my coins for is some of the legacy unlocks. Which you have to be careful because some of them are like $5 for a 40k unlock and others are $2 for 500k. I also realized too late I could have saved a ton of money and time if I had used it to buy the grade 7 ship packs, because grinding the same few space missions for two months to get enough commissions to buy them is a big fat NOPE. The whole system is confusing - it seems most of the rewards come from random packs? And then they offer specific packs that change every now and then? Whatever, I only have like 500 coins left.

I also squandered an embarrassing amount of credits on character perks without realizing I was in the character-specific section. Shit like bonus xp and getting mounts at lower level is PER CHARACTER, wtf?

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
No idea, the only thing I've used my coins for is some of the legacy unlocks. Which you have to be careful because some of them are like $5 for a 40k unlock and others are $2 for 500k. I also realized too late I could have saved a ton of money and time if I had used it to buy the grade 7 ship packs, because grinding the same few space missions for two months to get enough commissions to buy them is a big fat NOPE. The whole system is confusing - it seems most of the rewards come from random packs? And then they offer specific packs that change every now and then? Whatever, I only have like 500 coins left.

I also squandered an embarrassing amount of credits on character perks without realizing I was in the character-specific section. Shit like bonus xp and getting mounts at lower level is PER CHARACTER, wtf?
Yeah save the cash for the mounts and rocket boosts which are per character. Buy the 5 packs of 25% xp pots and you can use those on all characters through emailing them. They also won't stack with XP bonuses you can purchase in the game per character either. It's a scam of epic proportions with not a lot of information.

Things to buy:

Per character: Rocket boosts and Earlier Mount unlocks
Account wide: 25% XP Packs (Usually 5 packs) then trade them between characters.

If you need in game credits, purchase a couple of those random packs and sell them on the GTN for about 250-300k a piece. Comes in useful for crafting professions. Although those are pretty terrible from what I hear.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If you buy certain things with cartel coins they are account wide unlocks. Most are sellable on the AH as well. It's one of those "well fuck i would have just bought that if I knew" things

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
A friend got me a 2 month time card so I got the butt cartel and will get the gunship and other stuff. I've been piloting and doing low end pvp. Pilot gets you pants! Real pants! (American pants, not british pants which everyone has I assume). But good to finally have a choice instead of long skirt for my sorcererererererr.

I've done a wee bit of 50+ pvp as well. It can be horrible as a sorcerer. You just don't have enough counters to get away from a determined tanktype. They've got a million choices of ways to deny you control so you may as well just let go of the keyboard/mouse.

The worst is the force choke thing. I've never managed to get out of it via cc break. And my 10 second interrupt immunity doesn't do a damn thing vs the typical stun, knockdown, knockback, choke etc

If guarded and you have a decent team around you it is not so bad. Eventually you become immune to stuff for awhile. So maybe one in five matches you have a good time.

I'm still struggling with the sheer number of hotkeys required (another reason lower levels are more fun). Everything within reach of wasd is wired up and I've started trying backspace, backslash, [] and others for some odd things like ground target area stuff where I can take my left hand off wasd.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I'm still struggling with the sheer number of hotkeys required (another reason lower levels are more fun). Everything within reach of wasd is wired up and I've started trying backspace, backslash, [] and others for some odd things like ground target area stuff where I can take my left hand off wasd.
This is something thats a double edged sword. One one hand you have a game like FFXIV that you could literally spam 1-6 coupled with a yawn worthy 2.5 GCD and basically that was it, but the shit was boring as hell. Than you have games like SWTOR with 20 hot keys but you have a bit more abilities and you have more options which makes combat a bit more varied. Damned if you do and damned if you dont.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Yeah it has all the same problems as wow, especially in PVP. Obnoxious ability bloat just for the sake of having more buttons to push and craploads of CC. I bypass the problem with macros that don't really work very well but whatever, it beats playing the hotbar whack-a-mole that I've grown to despite.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is it normal to crash at the end of flashpoints? I tried the alt+tab workaround, but nope. Twice at the end of Black Talon I crashed and got no credit for the run.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
A friend of mine crashed right there too. Probably uninitialized variable, sort of happens sometimes depending on whatever is in memory.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Yeah it has all the same problems as wow, especially in PVP. Obnoxious ability bloat just for the sake of having more buttons to push and craploads of CC. I bypass the problem with macros that don't really work very well but whatever, it beats playing the hotbar whack-a-mole that I've grown to despite.
The main problem is that the number of necessary abilities per class is wildly different. On my Merc I had a pretty straightforward 4 button rotation for DPS with the occasional cooldown used of which there were 4 (iirc). Meanwhile, on my Darkness 'Sin I had like 8 abilities I constantly used on top of cooldowns.

Have gone back and forth between this and WoW as of late and while my preference for PvE has swung over to WoW just because of the sheer amount of content available, my tip of the hat on the PvP end goes to SWTOR. Not only is the combat more fluid and frenetic, it's extremely possible for one person to make a difference. I think the Burst can be ridiculous at times and they still have some issues to work through, but recent PvP in WoW has felt more like I'm ripping my eyes out than anything else. And the stuns... I got rose colored glasses on that for a bit but it's clear WoW CC is much worse than the current state of SWTOR CC. I'm actually a fan of the resolve system now, which I didn't think possible before.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is it normal to crash at the end of flashpoints? I tried the alt+tab workaround, but nope. Twice at the end of Black Talon I crashed and got no credit for the run.
Quoting myself as I found a workaround in case it happens to some of you or your friends. The crash is linked to the hyperspace animation that plays at the end, right after you decide your destination via the console, if you spacebar really fast so that you avoid it completely, the game won't crash. 3rd time was a charm, I finally completed the quest.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
This is something thats a double edged sword. One one hand you have a game like FFXIV that you could literally spam 1-6 coupled with a yawn worthy 2.5 GCD and basically that was it, but the shit was boring as hell. Than you have games like SWTOR with 20 hot keys but you have a bit more abilities and you have more options which makes combat a bit more varied. Damned if you do and damned if you dont.
And yet league has 4 abilities, 1 passive, and maaaybe 3 clickies in an endgame build and it has absolutely fantastic pvp. The button bloat has got to go.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
The $70 pack of random cartel items looks like quite a bargain.

....what the FUCK is wrong with these people?

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
When your playerbase is made up some of the biggest tits on the planet you might as well milk em.

moontayle

Golden Squire
The $70 pack of random cartel items looks like quite a bargain.

....what the FUCK is wrong with these people?
I've run into people who buy like 5 of these a month. It's specifically geared towards people with lots of disposable income. They also can be sold on the GTN. I bought one for like 5 million a few months ago. Resold most of what I got for like half of that. The stuff that could have sold for a lot I kept for down the road when it's harder to find.