SWTOR

Gecko_sl

shitlord
what the fuck is crossfire
It's a a co-op zombie apocalypse shooter where you get to play as one of these four characters

rrr_img_57454.jpg

Seriously, I've not heard of half of those games.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It probably took about the same time to go 1-50 as it does in SWTOR. I think you're confusing leveling with raiding. SWTOR raiding was easy because of the amount of people who have been raiding in the same nature for 12+ years.
Raiding was easy because the first boss was bugged so you could use the miss debuff and trivialize the hard phase, the third boss was a puzzle with trash spawns which was bugged to shit (but you could farm infinite loot drops from it by reseting the zone), the fourth was simply everyone 1v1ing their own elite mob, and the 5th could also bug out so if you zoned back in with new people and it would respawn and only drop guaranteed loot for the new guys.

No seriously, we all got like 10 pants from the puzzle to pull enhancements from and we would cycle in at least 4 other people to rekill the last boss for chances at the mount and guaranteed chest+offhand. Since tradeskills were so skewed and schematic drops only existed for like a third of the skills we just loaded up the biochemists (which everyone went because OP as fuck anyways) with the crafting mats that dropped and we made millions off implants which were tradeable and critable with an augment slot.

spronk

FPS noob
that is a crazy revenue list, who the fuck woulda guessed some asian shit would be grossing $1b in micro transactions?? And what the fuck is TF2 doing on that list, do that many people seriously buy fucking $130m of hats??

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think its a little bit more than hats these days. And yeah, the funny thing about asians is that there is like 2 billion more of them than us. and that game is pretty much P2W.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It kind of feels like SWTOR is getting the last laugh after its disastrous beginnings. F2P really *did* turn it around for SWTOR.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
that is a crazy revenue list, who the fuck woulda guessed some asian shit would be grossing $1b in micro transactions?? And what the fuck is TF2 doing on that list, do that many people seriously buy fucking $130m of hats??
Tf2 has a huge population. I'm sure the same TF2 people would say what idiot is paying Blizzard 15/mo just to play! Chicken --> Egg, ya know.

Mann Up - Official TF2 Wiki | Official Team Fortress Wiki

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
SWTOR leveling with the storylines was great, but I agree it has nothing to do with an MMO. It's a single player element tacked into an MMO.

WOW leveling in Vanilla was super easy. There was no danger, and it was engineered to be fun and easy, especially compared to EQ. Did you play EQ in 99?

It probably took about the same time to go 1-50 as it does in SWTOR. I think you're confusing leveling with raiding. SWTOR raiding was easy because of the amount of people who have been raiding in the same nature for 12+ years.
I was late to the party with EQ. I got in late 2001, but even then leveling was still difficult compared to today's EQ.

Malkariss hit SWTOR raiding on the head. High end loot was just to easy to attain. It got to the point where other then helping other guildies get their drops there really was no incentive to keep going. You had to reroll alts.

Also, I remember trying to do the 16 man raids, and getting a bug where some of the trash hit harder than the bosses would. Literally the stuff became impossible to take down at times. Wound up just splitting into two 8 man raids, as that never occurred there. Frustrating stuff to say the least.

Agree with you that WOW leveling was not difficult, especially coming from EQ. To me though what made SWTOR far easier, and faster was the companions. If you buffed their presence you would steam roll content.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Agree with you that WOW leveling was not difficult, especially coming from EQ. To me though what made SWTOR far easier, and faster was the companions. If you buffed their presence you would steam roll content.
My rogue steamrolled everything solo in vanilla WOW while leveling. By contrast, there were a lot of encounters in SWTOR I couldn't have beaten without my companion as the game was really designed for their use.

The companions and the main story are by far the best parts of SWTOR in my humble opinion. I loved SWTOR 1-49. I just really wish they had a different endgame built more on an open sandbox world and economy instead of copying and pasting from other games.

I agree the raids were lacking and buggy. It definitely wasn't the designers forte. I'm still baffled why EA didn't leverage the Mythic people at all for this game, and use public quests, more of their class systems, and do some sort of Frontiers type area for PVP and black market trading. There were so many cool endgame possibilities, and the fact they did nothing at all original is the most disappointing part of this game.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
For one, they should of made this game more FPS than the tab targetting crap they have. And PvP should of been all about Battlefront.

Arterial

N00b
The first round of raids were easy, only the last boss of EV was a bit hard, but that was just mitigating the bugs in the fight, but once they fixed it and got it going it made for a pretty impressive encounter. The last round of (Nightmare) raids were pretty challenging, the current round is pretty much a face roll except the dread masters. Ive pretty much played since launch, the game is good for the olderish MMO crowd who can get shit done, my group clears the two current raids in just over two hours. As fun as eq was I dont miss clearing PoF for 3x in 2 days on zero sleep to get cazic's skin for my wizzy epic :p

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
WOW at release was no where near as easy as it is today. Most games are toned down after they have been out as long as WOW has, even EQ as far as the leveling goes.

SWTOR from day 1 was was a joke as far as leveling goes. Nothing more to say about that other than a few decent story lines. As far as the raiding goes. Myself, and a few other guildies on our first night of raiding pulled out literally 3-4 pieces each of best in slot gear at the time, off the very first raid we entered. The first boss in fact, the gatekeeper in Eternity Vault was able to be soloed.

Shame really. Had so much potential, but in the end they really just had no clue how to build a proper MMO.
Your experience and my experience of rushing to the raid scene were vastly different. We did the Rancor boss first. IF you didn't randomly die upon zoning in you were stuck in place on top of everyone else unable to move. Or you camera was underground and still unable to move.

It was fucking AWFUL LOL.

moontayle

Golden Squire
All of which are issues that were fixed within two patches after release and is content that has been relegated to PUG weekly runs for Elite comms. Since, you know, it's 5 Operations ago.

It's easy to bash on how things were at the beginning but the game has moved on. For better or worse, depending on your viewpoint. That said, the Dread Fortress and Dread Palace operations are some of the most fun I've had in a raid environment in years. The mechanics are fun and challenging without making me want to gouge my eyes out at their ridiculousness. There's a lull at the top end while guilds wait for Nightmare Modes to come out (and NM modes aren't like EV and KP, they have new mechanics and the best gear as well as cosmetic drops that can't be found otherwise), but that's a relatively minor quibble.

New recurring event dropped today, Rakghoul Resurgence. Supposed to alternate between three different planets with "outbreaks" each time it comes around. Nothing earth shattering but it's kind of cool to have events like this that aren't holiday related.

Anomander Rake

Golden Knight of the Realm
Re-installing this out of sheer boredom, waiting for EQNL Alpha to start. Anyone on a server they would recommend, or have a guild to join?

moontayle

Golden Squire
For PvE as long as you stay out of the Cantina area of the Fleet, Ebon Hawk has a pretty sizeable population and is usually the server with the highest listed load during prime time. For PvP I believe Bastion is the place to be.