SWTOR

Taho

N00b
Thanks. That clears some things up. I have 3 50's from back in the day. How do I access or start a Stronghold? Is there a quest to get it started or something?

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, it's a quest. You'll get a few starter items. There's a NPC hologram and an entire section of the Imp/Rep space station devoted to it. You can also find the NPC on Coruscant and DK.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There's also kiosks on the fleet that let you buy and visit strongholds, housing decorations can get super expensive so I recommend mooching services from other people's. Feel free to wander around there's some crazy people who trick them out.

Taho

N00b
Cool. I have about 4 million creds on my main from back in the day, so would like to see about getting a stronghold setup mainly for the convenience of the legacy bank.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Cool. I have about 4 million creds on my main from back in the day, so would like to see about getting a stronghold setup mainly for the convenience of the legacy bank.
DK or Cor Stronghold is 10k to unlock the first area. Some people don't bother beyond that, and it's enough for the legacy bank and other useful items, but I find it can be relaxing to spend a few minutes throwing down some decorations.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not as much as it cost at release, but it still adds up if you're doing more than a few pieces.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
if you are just leveling/upgrading gear there's no point to pull mods out of gear, just overwrite them. it costs more credits to pull them out than you get from selling them to vendors. you'll still hit 1-2mil credits by the time you hit 60 even doing just class quests. it's kinda funny you'll be at like 200-300k after corellia and be like "fuck i'm broke" and then after makeb only 5 levels later you are over a million. we're talking like 10-15 hours of play time doing the leveling quests, you make a million credits and all your cash problems go away.

For collections, what I did was leveled a character to 60, used his credits to buy cool outfit for the next character from the GTN, used the 500 monthly cartel coins for being a sub to unlock that outfit account wide. repeat for next lvl 60. now i have a decent amount of cool looking gear that is account unlocked so i can pick and choose different pieces to make outfits for each subsequent character. after it's account unlocked its basically free set of orange for all my new characters that i can plug mods into right away.

once i'm finished with all the stories i'm pretty much done but for now it's fun doing dress up barbie.

Fogia_sl

shitlord
Not sure if mentioned previously, but you can transfer commendations (at least basics) between characters. Mods on the fleet aren't bound to character, so buy one with commendations, transfer it for instance through shared storage, then resell it within 2 IRL hours to NPC (because refund is 2 hours). You can resell to any NPC for the refund (i.e. you don't have to run back to the mod vendor on the fleet).
Ensure you have enough space if you wish to transfer a lot of them because mods on the fleet are sold for 2 basic commendations. I did it myself (transferred about 150 basic commendations) with success.

Not sure if mentioned previously, but you can transfer commendations (at least basics) between characters. Mods on the fleet aren't bound to character, so buy one with commendations, transfer it for instance through shared storage, then resell it within 2 IRL hours to NPC (because refund is 2 hours). You can resell to any NPC for the refund (i.e. you don't have to run back to the mod vendor on the fleet).
Ensure you have enough space if you wish to transfer a lot of them because mods on the fleet are sold for 2 basic commendations. I did it myself (transferred about 150 basic commendations) with success.
Oh thanks for that , wonder if thats intentional on their part.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Also as a FYI to new folks: There's absolutely no reason you shouldn't be crafting while leveling up. It's incredibly easy, once you have a couple companions. Levelling being as fast as it is now, it may not help your character immediately, but by the time you're playing your 3rd or 4th story you should be completely self-sufficient, or very nearly...

So while you're playing your current class and absolutely know your next class is going to be, start building his/her kit now in your shared bank. It makes the game a lot more fun when you're starting at level 1, and your bank is already filled with all your armor and weapon upgrades. And again, if you want to Comm your way to the top, at least be doing Biochem/Diplo/Bioanalysis. It's free healing and stims, which really really add up at max level. And folks are going to be sure you have those buffs when they invite you.

Taho

N00b
Question about mounts. What's the most economical way to get each tier if you are just running some toons through the stories? One option would be to pay creds for each of the 3 tiers, but that would add up. Is there a method for buying an adaptive mount that increases speed with your riding skill and that can be shared with other toons?

I've never bought anything off the Cartel Market and don't really understand how collections work yet.

Taho

N00b
Nevermind, think I figured it out. Bought a Cartel Market speeder off the GTN that went into my Collection.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
yeah and that mount gets faster per your skill rank.

I always throw every new alt 40k and a speeder just so they can use mount at lvl 10, which with the 12x xp is like by the 3rd quest, or 10 minutes after starting.

Arterial

N00b
Damn, sorcs are squishy. What a difference.
Yeah, but they are really good at all their roles, they put up some big numbers in the heal/dps department. They can be a pain to kill providing they take the right talents, stun bubble and force speed immunity can make them a bit harder to kill