SWTOR

Kubla Kas_sl

shitlord
I would more believe what someone said earlier that they counted the watching of the conversations/story instead of assuming all the mouth-breathers would just spacebar through the lolstory so they could hit 50 faster and try to pwn noobs in the battlegrounds.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Again, there was a developer lead that was posting on somethingawful and he said it himself that the number one mistake SWTOR made was focus 80% of the resources on the story bullshit, rather than doing something sensible and going like 50% story and 50% end game.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
And that's completely in line with what Ohlen said. They fucked up. He mentioned being careful about choice - that's the other 30% story they did. Sure, many choices didnt "matter" but there were a lot of instances where the cinematics and shot would need to be totally redone for the choice you made. Then add QA testing for each path and that's a ton of money.

Blizzard can tell a decent story but they're never redoing what little in engine cinematics they have based on shit you kill or the ass you chose to hand the bear asses to.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
And that's completely in line with what Ohlen said. They fucked up. He mentioned being careful about choice - that's the other 30% story they did. Sure, many choices didnt "matter" but there were a lot of instances where the cinematics and shot would need to be totally redone for the choice you made. Then add QA testing for each path and that's a ton of money.

Blizzard can tell a decent story but they're never redoing what little in engine cinematics they have based on shit you kill or the ass you chose to hand the bear asses to.
The problem was, most of their "story" wasn't any better than your average WoW quest. Certainly none of the side-quest stuff. All the random side-quest planets were no better than a typical WoW quest, except that they were voiced. Big deal. The "main" storylines were good...for a few classes. Some classes were fairly interesting, while others were just downright awful.

Caeden

Yeah, I made no mention of the quality of the story. And for the most part I agree with you. They really just added a ton of extra work on themselves for nothing. They could have used datapads you carry and your holo to cut this expensive shit down and stay loretastic

Rhuobhe

N00b
It is their "thing" unfortunately. Dragon Age and ME have one story line, Star Wars has 8 in one game.

I am curious if the level of detail is going to continue in ROTCH.

I doubt it.

Nebuchadnezzar

Golden Squire
Finally started playing it in the last couple weeks, taken a Jedi Knight to level 45 so far and I'm not getting the story love I hear from people. It's stilted, it's slow, it's episodic, the characters act like cardboard cutouts...you know what: it's the prequels.

Every time I finish a planet I'm so happy to leave the hellhole and never look back and I'm pretty much hate-finishing the game now.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
imperial agent is the one everyone will tell you to play. the 2nd im just throwing out there because im sure everyone will have an opinion on it.
I liked it enough that I made a second Agent to try different things with the story and to play the other spec and it was incredibly disappointing to see that it almost never mattered what dialogue option I picked. The result was pretty much always the same.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I liked it enough that I made a second Agent to try different things with the story and to play the other spec and it was incredibly disappointing to see that it almost never mattered what dialogue option I picked. The result was pretty much always the same.
ya, that was probably my biggest disappointment with the stories too. It didnt matter if you were light or dark, it wouldnt effect anything.

ixian_sl

shitlord
I don't really mind the illusion of choice that much if I enjoy myself, though it does make it laughable when they suggest if you want to play the other advanced class that you should go through all of the story content again, because then the seams are exposed. It also didn't help that when I finished the Jedi Consular story, which was already pretty bad, the ending glitched out and acted as if a character that just died, hadn't.

Rhuobhe

N00b
I've only had time for 3 on the republic side. Jedi Knight story is probably the most entertaining and canonical

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
So... is the expansion and 2.0 the same thing or something different. I received an email that made them out to be two very different things (which is possible since I haven't kept up with the story) but anyway, are either of the updates going to make the game any better? Especially in regards to PvP? Oh yeah... how did the cross-skilling work out? I heard you can pick abilities from other classes and such.

Caeden

It's like blizzard. 2.0 does a few things to the under 50 game also in abilities, talents, and achieves. The xpac is the content.