SWTOR

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
EA's expectation was that this game would still be on a normal $15/m subscription plan and competing with WoW, so yeah. Not so much.
Wrong context. The suggestion was that F2P exceeded their expectations for F2P, not for whatever expectations they had for the game prior to launch (which other than some decent out of the gate sales would be classified as "major disappointment").

As for what their F2P expectations were, who knows, but there's lots of new players and supposedly the coin market is making some good revenue so it's definitely trending in the right direction for the future of SWTOR finally. I guess when you plummet for earth for that rapidly it has to change course or at least stop eventually.

Keen to have a look at ROTHC next week although I'm moderately pissy my friend can't get early entry any more because he didn't preorder in time!

Kubla Kas_sl

shitlord
I believe the cross skilling is just in PvE (sort of like the Heroic Moment Skills or whatever they are called, and I think these are considered Heroic Moment too)... I only have one high character, Trooper... so I think if I wanted I could add a sticky grenade skill to my other chars. Frankly, its not that useful to me since most classes have skills that do the same thing as a sticky grenade anyway. There are also dumb emotes. And the last thing that you get from other classes is their class buff. So if you are soloing on a newb, you could conceivably have every class buff from other classes while you solo. Not a big deal since a lot of people drive-by buff each other anyway.

Could be that there is some awesome cross skill that is OP when used on a diff class but I am not min-maxxy enough anymore in my life to care to find out or research it.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I believe the cross skilling is just in PvE (sort of like the Heroic Moment Skills or whatever they are called, and I think these are considered Heroic Moment too)... I only have one high character, Trooper... so I think if I wanted I could add a sticky grenade skill to my other chars. Frankly, its not that useful to me since most classes have skills that do the same thing as a sticky grenade anyway. There are also dumb emotes. And the last thing that you get from other classes is their class buff. So if you are soloing on a newb, you could conceivably have every class buff from other classes while you solo. Not a big deal since a lot of people drive-by buff each other anyway.

Could be that there is some awesome cross skill that is OP when used on a diff class but I am not min-maxxy enough anymore in my life to care to find out or research it.
Correct, the Legacy Class abilities can only be used while Heroic Moment is active. Heroic moment can be used every 20 minutes and lasts one minutes. 15 and 2 if you've maxed out all five of the companion "types" (Healer, melee DPS, Ranged DPS, Melee tank, Ranged tank). Abilities are really powerful and I use them liberally when going up against story bosses and the like. So while yes, you would have something similar on your character, the damage it does is something like 3 to 5 times more than what you could do on your own, especially early on. Example, Legacy Orbital Strike will do about 3k a tickregardlessof your level. Not all legacy abilities are created equal though but it's easy to see which ones are worth using.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Played first month on release, hit max level and was bored, partly because getting dungeon groups was a pita.

Is coming back recommended?

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Going F2P I don't mind not being able to see the latest places / dungeons and such, but fuuuuuuck not having enough bars for SWTOR's 1 million abilities and novelty items. Does F2P still suck donkey ballz with gimped down interface and such or have they seen the light?

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
As a preferred f2p player you get 4 bars which is all I ever used as a sub. The f2p is better but still more inconvenient. It's passable. As a new f2p that isn't preferred its busted.

spronk

FPS noob
Played first month on release, hit max level and was bored, partly because getting dungeon groups was a pita.

Is coming back recommended?
I just updated my client (unsubbed a month or two after launch with 2-3 level 50s) and if you had an authenticator attached, you have been earning 100 cartel coins/month which is cool. All my characters are "inactive", you can only have six per server as a f2p preferred but I'm not sure how many overall you can have. I haven't activated any of my old characters in case it fucks shit up for me, instead just picked a new server, rolled a new level 1, and will try out one of the classes I never did until the game sucks again.

So yeah seems easy enough so far, the little starting videos and shit were awesome and reminded me why I was so excited to play this game. It does keep pushing you to sub ALL the time, so I can see myself getting annoyed within a week or two. I also wouldn't expect to do too much at endgame as a f2p person.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I don't see what the big deal is. So people dinged 55 instantly.. Who cares? How does it affect other players? They won't even be in the same WZ bracket as you.

The only reason I can see for people being upset is because they want to race other people to 55 and didn't realise there was a shortcut, in which case they need to get a life.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Wow the BiowareBois are still saturating the forums? I see nothing in that thread except seething hatred for the level 55 'hackers'. HACKERS BAN THEM ALL!

So besides this, how is the expansion? lol.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I don't think they are Bioware fans necessarily complaining about the "hackers". It's just whingers complaining, because that's what whingers do, they bitch and moan on forums.

The expansion has lot of interesting minor changes, some that improve quality of life like merging all of the planetary commendation types. They seem to have removed all of the sub 55 PvP gear apart from weapons. You can't even get the level 50 stuff anymore (war hero etc).

The new planet has 17 flight points which would ordinarily suggest its a bloody massive planet (since that's around twice the number of points of the other largest planets) but I imagine they're just really close together. I haven't explored much yet, spent all night running warzones.. Hadn't played my Sage in many months so it took a while to get back into the swing of things.

I hadn't done much research before hand so maybe this is well known but there seem to be a lot of minor changes even to sub 50 characters abilities. My Sage had two new abilities to train at 50 (maybe they weren't added with the xpac but I haven't checked the trainer in a looong time) and a few talents had some minor changes.

The 31 point abilities from each tree are now at 36 points and theres new talents from 31-35.. 1-30 are mostly unchanged.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Apparently I have 6350 cartel coins in my account. Super. I think I'll buy the ultimate leveling bundle and going places bundle.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Looks like I opened up one of the packs and now I don't have enough inventory space to play the game. Sweet.

moontayle

Golden Squire
It's sort of a combination of BC and LK if you had to make a comparison to WoW. BC because it's the first level increase and has all the accompanying re-balancing efforts to go along with it. LK because of the simple addition of the Achievement system, which is going to go a long way toward providing people simple things to shoot for. The ultimate carrot there is, as I mentioned before, the ability to earn Cartel Coins through certain achievements. Up to 800 through the completion of some. Plus titles for things like completing certain achievements on all the planets. It seems weird to think that this is something worth talking about, but it is.

Makeb itself is actually really fun to play through. I'm halfway through each side of the story and both angles are unique and both have some great moments. The side missions are minimal, one per area (that's actually a daily) and the occasional Heroic, so it's mostly all the planet story. I also haven't gotten into the new Galaxy-wide missions and I'm looking forward to that. So far it's a really good addition to the game.