Tablets

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Taking a course next month that supposedly provides a Surface included with the course materials. Gonna see what it can do then. I'm guessing it's the 32GB (so, really 16GB) model.

They have MicroSD support, don't they?

Ryanz

<Banned>
If anyone has experience with the Microsoft Surface I'd like to hear it. My wife seems to really want one, and I kind of looked at her like she was crazy cus ... lol Microsoft Tablet/Laptop hybrid. But in all honesty I don't know much about it. She already has a nook that I got her and she loves it...would there even be a reason for her to need a Nook + Surface?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
See e-ink vs. Tablet stuff on page 1. Some would say yes, some would say no. I'm in the "no" camp myself as I don't mind reading on a tablet (and the tablet can generally do many more other things).

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So I got the nexus 7 for the kids Christmas and Ive been fucking around with it here and there before I give it to them. Does anyone experience freezes? Like it works fine for a while, nice and responsive, then all of a sudden it just freezes up for a few seconds before it becomes responsive again. Is this an android issue or do I have a dud? If its an android issue does anyone have a fix?

Rune_sl

shitlord
More than a little frustrated at how hard it is to get a nexus 10 right now.

kinda hilarious when I decided I'd pick up a nexus 4 instead, only to see that's also out of stock.

Congrats google. Now fire whoever was in charge of the play store.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, placed my Nexus 4 pre-order two weeks ago. No indication of what's going on with it on Play, just says the order has been received and that's it.

I did manage to get my hands on a Nexus 10 though, so I guess that's good.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So I returned my Nexus 7 to my local Office Depot. I just wanted an exchange so they gave me a new one. So I get out to the car and unpack the box from the sleeve and notice that its already been opened. WTF? I hate when stores do shady shit like this. So I go back to the store and they tell me its the last one. :/ So I went around town trying to find one but no dice wallmart, kmart, best buy.... So I ordered one from google play. Hopefully I dont get fucked. The website said they had the 32 gig in stock so well see. Seems like a hot item for xmas.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
The Nexus 10 shipped fairly quickly when I ordered it about a week ago. The Nexus 4 is a different story... took a little over 2 weeks. Now, of course, the waiting time is through the roof.

I have read, though have no idea how credible it is, that Google is selling the Nexus 4 at cost. So their only incentive to provide a lot of them is to promote the Android system.

Google seems to be slowly boarding the failboat, though. Canceling free services, moving free features to paid-only accounts (push notification on emails is not a damn premium feature), messing up the ordering system on the Google Play store... it's my understanding that they're also pretty much stopping with the book scanning for Google Books. And Gmail's interface needs to take a lesson from Office 365. Quite a shame, really.
frown.png

frown.png

Rune_sl

shitlord
Google is swiftly becoming the target of retard hate on a lot of the dumber parts of the internet, but since Soriak always has the quality infoz I am a little disconcerted.

I haven't seen any of this stuff you're talking about, but now I'll look for it.

Google voice is quite frankly, crazy to provide for free. It has substantially increased my quality of life and their minutes to foreign countries are just dirt cheap, far cheaper than any other provider. Voicemail transcripts pretty much means I haven't listened to a voicemail in a year.

I figured google play was fucked because google generally is not in the retail business.

Archangel_sl

shitlord
I am not an iFanatic, but I was given an iPad2 as a gift a while ago, and I completely and utterly adore it. I have all my books on, music, browsing, games...everything! I will never, ever, ever abandon it. Precious....!

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, placed my Nexus 4 pre-order two weeks ago. No indication of what's going on with it on Play, just says the order has been received and that's it.

I did manage to get my hands on a Nexus 10 though, so I guess that's good.
I ordered within the first 2 minutes and my order history on Google Play says shipped and it will arrive on Thursday.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
More than a little frustrated at how hard it is to get a nexus 10 right now.

kinda hilarious when I decided I'd pick up a nexus 4 instead, only to see that's also out of stock.

Congrats google. Now fire whoever was in charge of the play store.
Lol, people who get mad at Google for selling out Nexus 4 is funny. Go buy another phone at full price if you're frustrated you plebeian.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
The only times I notice slowdowns or freezes on my Nexus 7 is when Apps are updating/downloading in the background and I am trying to launch other apps while that is going on. Other than that, I love my Nexus 7

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
That might of been the case with mine, but the last straw was playing a netflix movie one night and I could not get to the UI from full screen after tapping it, or swiping with my finger for about 2 minutes, until it finally showed up so I could pause the movie. Then it happened again after the movie was done and the credits were running. I could not get the UI back.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
That might of been the case with mine, but the last straw was playing a netflix movie one night and I could not get to the UI from full screen after tapping it, or swiping with my finger for about 2 minutes, until it finally showed up so I could pause the movie. Then it happened again after the movie was done and the credits were running. I could not get the UI back.
Did you do a factory reset yet?

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I haven't seen any of this stuff you're talking about, but now I'll look for it.
Small businesses (up to 10 people) used to get Google Apps for free, which has now been cancelled:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...826571350.html
It was actually used a lot by individuals to manage their own domains. Existing users get to keep it, at least, but it's still a shame.

Google ActiveSync is going to go away for all non-paid accounts (including individual accounts) at the end of January:http://arstechnica.com/information-t...ree-customers/
This means you'll continue to get push notification to Android devices, but everything else will instead only get updates as they sync. That's an issue for those using a desktop email client.

Google voice is quite frankly, crazy to provide for free.
The reason they do it is because they use voicemails to train their voice recognition software. I have no problem with that, of course, and I'm a big fan of GV myself. But it's definitely not charity.

It has substantially increased my quality of life and their minutes to foreign countries are just dirt cheap, far cheaper than any other provider.
Depends on your usage, I think. Skype offers unlimited international calls for $10/month. Calling over data instead of voice does mean worse quality, though, unless you're calling from your computer.

I figured google play was fucked because google generally is not in the retail business.
Sure, but they've had some experience with it by now and should probably be able to do better...

The Google Books scale down I have no source for - that's just what I heard from librarians that work with Google. My guess would be that google books was used to train an algorithm and maybe they no longer need that (and now need to train it only on speech and images).

For what it's worth, I don't dislike Google. But for a long time now they've been well ahead of the pack. They may start to slip... if you have an @outlook account, the web interface really beats Gmail (except that it doesn't have the conversation view, I believe). Some major revamping might be overdue...