Tablets

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Anyone try out the new $50 fire tablet? Not sure if its worth or not but it seems decent for the money.

Fire - Amazons Official Site - Learn More

Thinking about getting the buy 5 get 1 free deal then giving one to everyone for christmas. Easy.
I have one and like it. I mainly use it as an e-reader and podcast/music player but works decently enough for browsing the web and a few other things.

You get pretty roped into the Amazon echo-system, and the entire thing is designed to sell you shit from Amazon, which doesn't bother me too much since I already do a ton of shopping at Amazon. I will say the Amazon app store is missing some pretty big-named apps and isn't nearly as robust as Google Play. I think for cheap tablets this is hands down the best option out there. I haven't looking into possibly side-loading apps from Google Play or rooting and installing a custom rom on this thing yet.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Can it be rooted? It would be glorious to shove it up Amazon's butt. I'm just mad they removed free shipping in Europe as an option. Fuck paying by weight, dimensions, starter fee, fuck you-fee.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Can it be rooted? It would be glorious to shove it up Amazon's butt. I'm just mad they removed free shipping in Europe as an option. Fuck paying by weight, dimensions, starter fee, fuck you-fee.
Some quick browsing over at XDA tells meyesmaybe, it can be rooted, but that is just reading headlines. Have no idea how easy/hard/realistic it is to do so nor how current the information is.

*edit: I'm having a tough time figuring out if this latest gen (which I guess is 5) has been successfully rooted or not yet... it sounds like it has at the very least been rooted but no recovery options in place yet? Not entirely sure, will take more time than I currently have to figure it out.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I upgraded my nexus 7 2013 to 5.1.1 and its running sluggish as hell now. Anything I can do about that?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I upgraded my nexus 7 2013 to 5.1.1 and its running sluggish as hell now. Anything I can do about that?
Nope, the day I upgraded my 2012 Nexus 7 to Android 5 was the day I started shopping for a new tablet. It just can't handle it. Try to revert back, or start shopping :/

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
So far I've been really impressed with Microsoft's customer service for their Surface tablets. I upgraded my SP2 to Windows 10 not knowing there's a bug with the keyboard cover. Plugging and unplugging the type cover messes up a driver that causes the CPU idle at 50-90%. Anyway, I messaged them telling them about it and they gave me an option to get a new tablet with the advanced exchange program to get one with WP8.1. I was pretty disappointed when I got a B stock refurbished unit (scratches on the screen), but they were accommodating and I sent it back for a new one. Somewhere along the way, they ran out of SP2 stock, so they automatically upgraded me to the SP3 128GB with a free Type Cover 3. I just turned it on... and it's preinstalled with WP10... I hope it doesn't have the bug with the type cover
frown.png

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Staples $449 iPad Air 2 64 gig seems about the best deal out there or has anyone else been looking and seen a better deal? Wife wants one for Christmas.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
In Canada Google has the Nexus 9 for $200 off this weekend. Seems to only be available for a couple minutes at a time.

Column_sl

shitlord
So I got an Ipad Pro with the Apple pencil this week. It is an incredible piece of technology.

Who is it for tho? It's for artist's plain ,and simple. This thing works better then any tablet on the market.

As a person who draws all the time as a hobby, I am absolutely in love with this device. Apple really makes good products. The samsung, and older Surface pro 3 pale in comparison.

I did this today just to break the device in, and it felt like I was working on a physical medium versus a digital one.

Column_sl

shitlord
It looks like an awesome device, wish they'd go w/ a hybrid of OS/iOS though, due to problems cited here -The iPad Pro has an App Store problem | The Verge
I'm wondering how bad that would effect the battery life.The battery lasts for a good 10 hours, and the pencil pretty much lasts forever.

The drawing apps are pretty damn powerful given the small amount of space they take on the machine.

Right now it's a bigger Ipad with the best Stylus on the market.

I imagine the next version will be even better, definitely heading in the right direction.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone try out the new $50 fire tablet? Not sure if its worth or not but it seems decent for the money.

Fire - Amazons Official Site - Learn More

Thinking about getting the buy 5 get 1 free deal then giving one to everyone for christmas. Easy.
Could resist with the $35 Black Friday deal - and quite impressed - runs far better than my 8.9" 2013 Kindle even though the specs look worse on paper. And it's got a goddamn microSD slot that can amp it to 136 GB of space which is just nuts.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I got an Ipad Pro with the Apple pencil this week. It is an incredible piece of technology.

Who is it for tho? It's for artist's plain ,and simple. This thing works better then any tablet on the market.
I remember Mike from Penny-Arcade was pretty enamored of the early Surface Pro 2 for drawing on the go. Was just googling and after he had some serious issues early on they seem to have fixed/tweaked the stuff in the Pro 3 that were holding it back. For him specifically anyways. Any experience with that as a comparison since they tweaked it like a year ago?

Wish he'd do a write up on the Ipad, be interesting to compare.

edit: Reading more it sounds like the Surface Pro 4 brought back some of the more artist-centric options they dropped with the 3. 1000+ levels of sensitivity instead of 256, and optional different "nib" tips for the stylus.

Also it looks like Gabe/Mike has the new Surface Book hybrid tablet/laptop majigger and likes it better than his Pro 3 for drawing. Whatever that means.

edit2: This guy echos a lot of the same sentiments as Column

iPad Pro vs Microsoft Surface: A tablet showdown for writers and artists | iMore

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I bought the iPad Pro and tried the laptop replacement experiment. Got it with the Logitech keyboard case. It is an amazing machine. It's faster than the 12" retina Macbook that I use. Great screen, light weight, run two apps at once, etc.

With that said, I returned the iPad Pro. It is, after all, just IOS, and not a full operating system. There were too many inconveniences to my daily computer use that I got tired of working around. It really needs a cursor that can be moved by a trackpad. Tim Cook says Apple will never make an iPad with OS X or OS X/IOS hybrid and that's too bad. It would be my perfect machine.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider

As a person who draws all the time as a hobby, I am absolutely in love with this device. Apple really makes good products. The samsung, and older Surface pro 3 pale in comparison.

I did this today just to break the device in, and it felt like I was working on a physical medium versus a digital one.
The Surface 3 was crippled by the pen, but they rectified most of the problems with the new SP4 pen. You should give that a try.

That's a terrible review...