Tails of Iron (Redwall meets 2D Dark Souls)

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Platinumed this yesterday. I don't do a ton of 2D Souls-Likes but this one looked pretty cool and turned out to be pretty fun. Posting here since it might have flown under people's radar. It's from a small studio, with a core of 5-9 people.

Was very short but sweet--about 10 hours logged, with maybe an extra hour or 2 tacked on for boss learning attempts. Oh yeah and it's narrated by Geralt of Rivia.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Platinumed this yesterday. I don't do a ton of 2D Souls-Likes but this one looked pretty cool and turned out to be pretty fun. Posting here since it might have flown under people's radar. It's from a small studio, with a core of 5-9 people.

Was very short but sweet--about 10 hours logged, with maybe an extra hour or 2 tacked on for boss learning attempts. Oh yeah and it's narrated by Geralt of Rivia.

Works for me. I’ll pick it up.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
My experience aligned fully with this steam review.
A linear snore with pretty art and good narration.

The game is practically on rails no matter how much it wants to pretend it isn't; there is almost 0 worthwhile exploration to do, and when there is, barely anything you get feels worthwhile. All of the gear you find in the game is identical outside of differentiating weight/defense ratios.

For a second, I thought there was going to be a basebuilding aspect the game or crafting, but there isn't anything of the sort. The currency in the game feels practically pointless due to how much you get of it, and the 'crafting' is buying a blueprints and giving it to the blacksmith and him giving you an item. There's no input from you. The 'gold' currency is just a 'move the plot forward' currency that you need to do sidequests for, which are almost all entirely mandatory because of it.

The combat is just... okay. It's not bad, but it never evolves from basically the very start. You get a couple tools to play with and differing weapons, but honestly it didn't feel worth it to do anything but use whatever gave the biggest increase in the bar for one-handed/two-handed/-ranged. The combat is too simple and barebones, being the same dodge/punish loop the souls games do but with much simpler attacks on average. If you really enjoy slow paced and methodical pacing though, it could hit for you. But that's all.

So, unfortunately, I just don't see what all the reviews are praising here. The game is pretty and geralts narration is cool, but on a mechanical level the game is a plodding chore without any bite to it, there's not a lot of challenge to be found.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Frogs are the bad guys? No.

tenor.gif

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
My experience aligned fully with this steam review.
I don't disagree with that review. Like I said, I haven't played a ton of games to compare it to and I think whether you like it is determined by whatever the theme, art direction, and narration outweigh the short length and lack of depth. For me it did, but I get where you are coming from.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
You had me at Redwall.

I read those books all through elementary school and a couple new ones recently for the nostalgia.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user