Tales of...

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Bumping this old ass thread with the release date for Vesperia, Jan 11th:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Nice, my Amazon preorder has the release date listed as 12/31/18 which was obvious bullshit since it's a Monday, but it's good to see the real date is only a couple weeks later. I was afraid it would end up spring or summer based on the lack of updates since they first announced it.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Never got to play Vesperia, I'll have to get it from how good I hear it is for a lot of people. Even though only played a few tales games....which I had hard passed on Abyss.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Tales of Vesperia: Definitive edition is released now. Apparently a good port on PC. Native PS4 buttons as well. The version includes all DLC like costumes and items that you could pay for.

For those who play it for the first time, the game has a LOT of missables, including a part that apparently if you miss it, you don't get any post content.

Somewhat non spoilerish guide that lets you know when to do what actions

『Tales Of Vesperia - Sub Events Part One And Two』

It just list sections in order of when you get to them and actions you need to take. Like

-------------------- Part One --------------------

<Zaphias>
- Automatically obtains Wonder Log (Wonder Reporter Part 1)

<World Map>
- Near Zaphias, you can find the travelers' inn King Of Adventure (King Of Adventure Part 1)

<Deidon Hold>
- Find Duke on the roof of the Chevaliers' Station (Duke Part 1)

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Vorph

Finally got my copy of ToV yesterday since Amazon tarded up the Switch preorders somehow. First impression: words cannot describe how much I hate this fucking battle system. That's playing docked too, I can't even imagine what it's like trying it in full handheld mode, but I guess I'll find out this afternoon. Is the first part just something you have to push through and then it gets better once you have an actual party?

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Finally got my copy of ToV yesterday since Amazon tarded up the Switch preorders somehow. First impression: words cannot describe how much I hate this fucking battle system. That's playing docked too, I can't even imagine what it's like trying it in full handheld mode, but I guess I'll find out this afternoon. Is the first part just something you have to push through and then it gets better once you have an actual party?

It's the same as all Tales games. It begins quite simple, then it becomes more complex as you go. Can have up to 8 skills active. Skills level up with use in the form that you get upgraded skills that are combinations of eachother. You start with azure blast, then when you get wolf strike and use them both, you get azure wolf strike.

Later you get burst strikes, which are more powerful skills that can be added to the after part of a combo when in overdrive.

You'll get "tutorials" with two soldiers that you encounter regularly. Around every 3-5 hours for the first twenty+ hours. First they teach overdrives, then burst artes, then finishers.

Later you can use skills to juggle enemies trigger burst artes with combos and end those combos with a finisher.

Can't imagine playing it on the regular switch controller though on the hand held. My fingers cramp up by regular games on that. This game has a lot of button pressing.

Vorph

Can't imagine playing it on the regular switch controller though on the hand held. My fingers cramp up by regular games on that. This game has a lot of button pressing.
Yeah, I mostly use my Wii U Pro controller. I have an extra DS4 that was supposed to be for the Switch, but I have trained myself to convert Sony buttons to MS and I gave up on using the DS4 about 15 minutes into XC2 (first fishing QTE).

I haven't even gotten past the first boss dude in Flynn's room yet, let alone beat him with the secret mission done too. Never had any problems with other Tales games I've played, but this actually has me thinking about putting it on Easy for a while.