Tech Science Podcasts

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Recommendations?

I used to listen to Escapist tech/science podcast until they merged back.

I have
TechstuffOfficial TechStuff Podcast Page - HowStuffWorks

on my podapp atm, but i don't listen to them, i have like 100eps built up (app autodownloads new eps), i'm pretty sure they put me to sleep and i can't have that if i'm on a treadmill, they are my last ditch effort to listen to something if i run out of good podcasts for the week.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
This is what I listen to on a regular basis that has any semblance of science to it. The last two are a bit niche but the others cover everything (except freakonomics which sticks to economics with a Chicago style slant to it which is, occasionally, puke worthy. Still a good podcast most of the time though).

RadioLab
Quirks and Quarks
Big Picture Science
Freakonomics
Talkingtomachines
Partially Derivative

I used to listen to Neil DeGrasse Tyson's StarTalk but i got bored of his shtick for numerous reasons.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, Star Talk is waayy over produced and commercialized. Their 5 minute snippets, jump in-jump out segments, are just annoying after awhile.

Do a commercial at the beginning and the end, and have a uninterrupted hour long discussion in the middle. If your podcast form varies from that established model, it probably sucks.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I only listened to a few episodes of Star Talk and I decided it isn't for me. I like Radiolab, Freakonomics, Infinite Monkey Cage, and a bunch of tech podcasts (TWiT stuff, Risky Business, etc).

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Maybe it is just me, but I hate how NPR has chopped all of their podcasts into tiny segments, some only 3 minutes. Ain't nobody got time for that. Maybe they have a compiled version, I haven't looked, just one day it started showing up that way in my feed.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The other part was that they always upload them first to last, so they play backwards and you hear the host teasing the segment you just listened to. SCI-FRI has gone to just 2 chunks now though, and they just call them "hour 1" and "hour 2". They still upload them the wrong way so you hear hour two first but you can play them manually if that bothers you. Fresh Air has also gone to putting out just one podcast with the whole show in it and I recently found a different feed for the PBS news hour that just gives you the whole show in one chunk instead of all of the segments badly chopped into individual files.