TFO returns to Classic raiding for the summer

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
He was three boxing. Only one character (not his rogue) showed a TFO tag and they were all either anon or role. Pneumatic was one of the other two. The third I think was Legoliny, or Sethella. (pretty sure Sethella is a merc) The machine I interacted with wasn't the one logging so I'm getting the names from an achievement and spell casts.

A quick google search of your handle indicates you as a TFO forum poster. Regardless, 'tempting' might be too strong a word-- I wasn't and am not as of now close to going into revenge mode, although it appeared to be a possible outcome if things kept going after your reply to my first post which indicated that I was not going to retaliate-- I was merely announcing his stupidity to needlessly grief people who can kill his raid mobs.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Derailing this a bit... Do you have an excel document or anything like that will all the data you've been compiling?

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Yes, absolutely. Everybody complains about Project 1999 being closed source, and I respect their reasons why, but TAKP intends to go fully open source including database so anybody can set up their own servers using a high quality classic EQ server and database. All of my data will be publicly available and much of it is right now, including my spreadsheet which is a very recent copy.

For the curious:Classic EverQuest Preservation

I put my mob stats data collecting on hold for the last 3 months or so while I went on a massive resist log collecting effort that should allow me to eventually determine a close estimate of mobs' actual resist values. I'm a little eager to resume filling that out and adding 5 resist columns to it.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
That's awesome. TAKP = The Al'Kabor Project? Who's working on it, is it really going to materialize or is it just eqclassic 2.0?

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
It's headed by Cavedude, who is the guy in charge of Project EQ and is one of the EQ Emu devs. Secrets also helps out with some of the hard stuff. The rest of us are other PEQ devs or Al'Kabor refuges looking to chip in.

The big difference between eqclassic and TAKP is we not only have a database but it's a pretty fleshed out one. The project is worked on mostly by Project EQ people, which is EQ Emu's default database. They didn't have to start from scratch-- they had PEQ's database to take from. Also they developed some tools to collect data from AK with (mob spawns, pathing, items, etc) to use instead of taking entirely from PEQ, so we'll have an even better DB than PEQ has.

We're also using a PoP era client (two clients actually; the Mac client will work as well as a PC client) so like eqclassic we won't be using a future era client like p99 uses. Unfortunately this is adding some significant hurdles to get over as Al'Kabor isn't around anymore to collect packets from. Right now the PC client crashes on almost every zone and it's proving difficult to resolve. (Cavedude and Secrets are handling that stuff, it's way over my head)

We're sort of far away from 'launch ready' but anybody can download the code and database and set up a server right now if they wish as it's all publicly available. It's fairly playable but there is a mountain of small details to hammer out like adjusting drop rates, mob damage, resists, see invis flags, etc. Stock EQ Emu also has a lot of gameplay things that need fixing.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
It's headed by Cavedude, who is the guy in charge of Project EQ and is one of the EQ Emu devs. Secrets also helps out with some of the hard stuff. The rest of us are other PEQ devs or Al'Kabor refuges looking to chip in.

The big difference between eqclassic and TAKP is we not only have a database but it's a pretty fleshed out one. The project is worked on mostly by Project EQ people, which is EQ Emu's default database. They didn't have to start from scratch-- they had PEQ's database to take from. Also they developed some tools to collect data from AK with (mob spawns, pathing, items, etc) to use instead of taking entirely from PEQ, so we'll have an even better DB than PEQ has.

We're also using a PoP era client (two clients actually; the Mac client will work as well as a PC client) so like eqclassic we won't be using a future era client like p99 uses. Unfortunately this is adding some significant hurdles to get over as Al'Kabor isn't around anymore to collect packets from. Right now the PC client crashes on almost every zone and it's proving difficult to resolve. (Cavedude and Secrets are handling that stuff, it's way over my head)

We're sort of far away from 'launch ready' but anybody can download the code and database and set up a server right now if they wish as it's all publicly available. It's fairly playable but there is a mountain of small details to hammer out like adjusting drop rates, mob damage, resists, see invis flags, etc. Stock EQ Emu also has a lot of gameplay things that need fixing.
Correcting something in this post: Cavedude and myself are not really part of the server hosting team, we're developers who are working on the code. The TAKP team hosts a server using the code they actively contribute to. TAKP indeeds stands for The Al`Kabor Project. It's a preservation project as opposed to a place for people to play.

As stated above the only real hiccup that I have right now is the crash on zoning. If anyone has any idea or is willing to contribute to fix this problem, I would greatly appreciate the help as it's proving difficult to figure out why it is happening.
If Hobart reads these forums (I doubt he does) or someone else with reversing knowledge wants to help figure this out, we wouldgreatlyappreciate it as myself and cavedude have been banging my head on it for a bit with no success.
The crash appears to only happen with the NewUI flag turned on in the code, as it crashes on the deactivate UI call upon zoning out.

It's a shame SOE doesn't just release the client (not the database, as that's still relevant to EQLive) code, as it would make my life a lot easier. It's practically released because of the debugging information attached to the executable.

Stack trace from Mac (this is identical to the spot the Windows client crashes on):
Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 Everquest 0x003c3af2 CGemsGameWnd::UpdateDisplay() + 66
1 Everquest 0x003c464a CGemsGameWnd::Deactivate() + 106
2 Everquest 0x000df7da CDisplay::DeactivateMainUI() + 90
3 Everquest 0x0029c624 CEverQuest::processGame(HWND__*, HINSTANCE__*) + 1124
4 Everquest 0x002df5c1 MainThread(void*) + 353
5 Everquest 0x002df82c ExecuteEverQuest(HINSTANCE__*, HINSTANCE__*, char*, int) + 604
6 Everquest 0x002dfbb0 WinMain + 240
7 Everquest 0x00016037 main_rproto(int, char**) + 423
8 Everquest 0x00016132 main + 66
9 Everquest 0x0000ea85 start + 53

Drade

Lord Nagafen Raider
Emperor Ssraeszha and Aten Ha Ra down. Only a matter of a few days to finish up some elusive targets before we'll be starting PoP. September 8th we will be making our return to Underfoot while continuing our reboot progression. Multiple era Progression raiding with no voting to unlock the next expansion. Won't find either on Fippy or the former with any other non TLP guild.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
For a progression guild, I sure see a lot of you using high level characters to get loot or flags for your lower level characters

Zaide

TLP Idealist
For a progression guild, I sure see a lot of you using high level characters to get loot or flags for your lower level characters
No one can use any gear unless it drops from a mob we have killed as a progression raid before. So the pre farming you see is allowing players to avoid spending months of raiding to gear up between expansions, but has no bearing on the difficulty of any particular raid.

Also, most members have all their characters in the guild. Just seeing a TFO tag doesn't mean that's a progression character; also we're running two seperate progression timelines. One in Luclin and one in UF.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Zaide I loved raiding with this group and got the parses I needed. I've gotten real involved in other facets of classic EQ as of late but would highly recommend anyone interested doing progression to work with your crew. Raids were on time and well organized. Buffs/levels and items were kept within the expac nicely.

Faction and other droppables (grindy stuff) were accomplished with uber chars outside of raids but people have lives I am totally understanding.

Drade

Lord Nagafen Raider
3 days into PoP
fkp5uNA.jpg

Word

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Our adventures continue across Norrath where prominent figures are falling into dream-induced comas. The clerics and mystics of the land are powerless to wake their leaders from their unnatural sleep, evidence that something is deeply wrong in the world of dreams.

A strange home has also appeared in the Feerrott jungle, its look sinister, its purpose, unknown. Upon entering the house, the air is thick with tension, caused by an ensuing conflict between the Thule deities; Cazic, Terris and Morell; the Lord of Dreams. Their turmoil has affected the world of Norrath, clashing reality with delusion, and around every twisting passageway, dreams and nightmares take on their physical forms. Unhinged by imagination, there's no way of knowing what beings lay in wait for intrepid explorers. Prevail over the overlords of the House of Thule. Unravel its secrets and prevent Norrath from being consumed by the power of its dreams.

Time has come for The Faceless Order to delve into the dream world. This is a call for all members new and old to experience some of the most popular content modern EQ has created. Progression raiding resumes Monday, January 5th 2015 at 9:00pm EST! While your adventures may or may not be based in a waking reality, they will be experiences you'll never forget!
Mad props to Quazie and Nits for still going strong after all these years.

Evernothing confirmed second best bard
cool.png

Drade

Lord Nagafen Raider
Mad props to Quazie and Nits for still going strong after all these years.

Evernothing confirmed second best bard
cool.png
Nits is actually not currently active in TFO at this time. Quazie is still doing his brogue founder thing, however.