The Al`kabor Project (EQMac) - PoP 1/5

porkchop sandwiches

Potato del Grande
So I got a enchanter/druid combo going, was able to get some pp from some one in PoK and got loaded up on my newbie spells. I got to level 4 and it went pretty well. The older client definitely brings back some memories....P99 is great but the newer titanium client does remove some of the classic feelz. One thing I noticed....xp from killing even/yellow cons was very good, while blue cons (even one level below) was absolute garbage. Was this how it used to be or is this something specific to this server? Maybe it's also because I'm low level and it'll get better as I level up, but xp from blue cons didn't used to be this bad...

Anyways, I love the server so far...all of the players have been nice, some cleric stopped buy and fully buffed my toons without me asking...so that was awesome.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
So I got a enchanter/druid combo going, was able to get some pp from some one in PoK and got loaded up on my newbie spells. I got to level 4 and it went pretty well. The older client definitely brings back some memories....P99 is great but the newer titanium client does remove some of the classic feelz. One thing I noticed....xp from killing even/yellow cons was very good, while blue cons (even one level below) was absolute garbage. Was this how it used to be or is this something specific to this server? Maybe it's also because I'm low level and it'll get better as I level up, but xp from blue cons didn't used to be this bad...

Anyways, I love the server so far...all of the players have been nice, some cleric stopped buy and fully buffed my toons without me asking...so that was awesome.

the EXP formula is an extremely faithful recreation of EQMac, which itself was pretty close to PoP era EQ. the big difference is the group EXP bonus, which is increased dramatically for groups of four or more. i believe the yellow-con EXP is era-accurate regardless of if we're talking about EQMac or EQPC.

what's your usual play time? i've been logging on a bit more lately.

porkchop sandwiches

Potato del Grande
I might just be on weekends for now, at least until my box crew gets rolling (not sure I can deal with the 1-15 levels of Everquest on weekdays after work). I'm not sure what level things will start to flow a little quicker....maybe when my enchanter gets charm (though I have no idea how charm will function here compared to Phinny - it was definitely OP there). I already noticed that the enchanter pets suck compared to phinny. either way, I plan on playing for a while, I'm assuming the WoW patch is not going to hook me back in.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I might just be on weekends for now, at least until my box crew gets rolling (not sure I can deal with the 1-15 levels of Everquest on weekdays after work). I'm not sure what level things will start to flow a little quicker....maybe when my enchanter gets charm (though I have no idea how charm will function here compared to Phinny - it was definitely OP there). I already noticed that the enchanter pets suck compared to phinny. either way, I plan on playing for a while, I'm assuming the WoW patch is not going to hook me back in.

Saturday afternoon / early evening is good for me. i'll at least come by with my paladin / shaman / druid and buff ya :) maybe keep thorns going for a couple hours. tag me on here when ya log on.

charm works quite well on here, possibly too well but hasn't been sufficient evidence to nerf it yet.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Has this thing grown to a reasonable population yet?

If you want to raid, yeah. If you want to meet a bunch of people while levelling, no. But, to quote Ghandi, "you have to be the change you want to see in the world." If you decide to play then that's one more player that other newbies can level with.

Again, if any newbies want plat, just ask. I'll log on and farm plat for any forum Bros that want some.

delirium

Trakanon Raider
Hello, I've been tinkering on p99 but giving this server some consideration. I have a couple questions though. I like to play a nec, are most of the spells (including research spells) found on the vendors in pok? About the boxing, I know it says you can 3 box, but what if you have some friends over and they are also 2 boxing from the same IP? Is that okay? Is it ip limited out PC limited? Thanks!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Hello, I've been tinkering on p99 but giving this server some consideration. I have a couple questions though. I like to play a nec, are most of the spells (including research spells) found on the vendors in pok? About the boxing, I know it says you can 3 box, but what if you have some friends over and they are also 2 boxing from the same IP? Is that okay? Is it ip limited out PC limited? Thanks!

research only spells are still a thing on TAKP: Research-only Spells - The Al'Kabor Project Wiki

i do research on my necro tho, just ping me and i'll help ya out. i've got some banked already and can do combines if you find words for the ones i don't.

as far as having friends over, you'll have to ask for an IP exemption. or just have your friend play from a mobile hotspot on your phone or something, EQ doesn't use up much data. i've got an IP exemption for when my girlfriend plays with me, was a pretty painless process.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
How does this server work from a client standpoint? Is this still a thing where you can't alt tab without using WinEq2 hotkeys? I'd like to play but I'm often on VPN on other screens and having a difficult client may not work for me.

And what about the content? Spawn locations and era-relevant drops and mobs? and stability in terms of pathing, z axis, stuff popping through walls, etc?

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
You could always alt-tab with our client; the issue was that our older clients would often act as if you were still holding the alt key down when you switched back to the window. The client has been worked on over the years and this issue is now gone as far as I'm aware. One work-around to this was using a program called HotKeyNet which is free multi-box software which allows you to assign a key (or combo) on the keyboard to switch window focus instead of using alt-tab. E.g. you could assign numpad 1, 2, 3 to be your keys to switch client windows. HotKeyNet is bundled and preconfigured with the client in the zip. The reason why our client had/has issues is that the client is so old that it requires EQW to run and uses DirectX 8. It is perfectly usable however and people raid and do everything they need to do on it just fine, although you may have to take some additional steps to make it work on some laptops.

Spawn locations were taken from sniffed packet data so they are about as precise as it gets. Everything is era-appropriate and not custom. (minus some anniversary events, but we've been fairly conservative with those) Our combat mechanics are the most accurate of any EQ server that currently exists. Pathing ain't worse than what AK's was but isn't perfect. P99 is our only real competition in terms of quality of recreation and both servers do some things better than the other, so my subjective opinion (disclaimer: I'm a TAKP dev) in that regard is that they are roughly equivalent overall. It comes down to whether or not you like boxing or which era you want to play or how crowded you like servers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thanks for the prompt reply. That's excellent. I think I will log on and give it a spin!

Is there a bazaar etc here?

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Bazaar is in. PoK and PoK books are also in, even though it's out-of-era for Luclin. We're doing a kind of 'soft' progression.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I will say too that AKproject is great quality and classic. I put it on the same level as p99, and yall know how picky I am about old school games.