The "Am I stupid AF for wanting a motorcycle" thread.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Don't think anyone can make the decision for you. Gonna have to come to that on your own but I'd say the biggest thing is if you do to take it extremely seriously, get the proper instruction and gear. I love riding but you really have to know whats going on at all times and sometimes that still not enough.

Jilariz_sl

shitlord
Ok so all my life I have wanted a damn bike. I have zero experience but eager and willing to learn with lots of patience and a great regard for safety. Everyone and their mom save 1 or 2 people are telling me Im either gonna drop it or die. All I want is a little weekend cruiser! A Honda CTX700n to be exact. The damn thing is automatic ffs and has ABS ( great reviews to boot ). I am 33 years old, 1st kid is coming in 6 months, but have PLENTY of cash for the bike note and kid. So tell me....... am I stupid for wanting this for myself???
It's going to be fall soon. You probably can't get into an MSF course until Spring when your child will be born. You probably won't have the time to do a course then nor during the next several months, pushing you into spring 2016 probably as the earliest. By then, you will have realized kids are rather expensive, and you'll be glad you didn't risk a selfish desire and didn't spend the money.

Perspectives change but I think the most important thing to consider is this: Is riding a motorcycle going to do anything positive for you? You're going to be a father, you are going to have a lot of new responsibilities and 2 people who are not only going to depend on you being around, but will want you to be around. I think being a good father will satisfy you a lot more than fulfilling a desire which you should have fulfilled 10-15 years ago.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I'd love to try one of these bad boys. I bet they're a blast to ride.

idgDruO.jpg

That reminds me of a joke my Dad told me once:

Riding a moped is a lot like fucking a fat chick: Fun until someone sees you.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'd be curious to see some actual statistical information on deaths per driven mile on motorcycles vs. cars, if just for curiosity. Here we go:Motorcycle safety - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A national study by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATS) found that:

Motorcycle rider death rates increased among all rider age groups between 1998 and 2000
Motorcycle rider deaths were nearly 30 times more than drivers of other vehicles
Motorcycle riders aged below 40 are 36 times more likely to be killed than other vehicle operators of the same age.
Motorcycle riders aged 40 years and over are around 20 times more likely to be killed than other drivers of that same age.[3]

Personally, I find that pretty compelling. I guess not everyone believes in statistics.

Since we're telling lame jokes, show me a guy that rides a motorcycle to the store to get cigarettes and lottery tickets and I'll show you a guy that doesn't believe in statistics.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
A national study by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATS) found that:

Motorcycle rider death rates increased among all rider age groups between 1998 and 2000
Motorcycle rider deaths were nearly 30 times more than drivers of other vehicles
Motorcycle riders aged below 40 are 36 times more likely to be killed than other vehicle operators of the same age.
Motorcycle riders aged 40 years and over are around 20 times more likely to be killed than other drivers of that same age.[3]

Personally, I find that pretty compelling. I guess not everyone believes in statistics.

Since we're telling lame jokes, show me a guy that rides a motorcycle to the store to get cigarettes and lottery tickets and I'll show you a guy that doesn't believe in statistics.
For what it's worth, my dad bought a fatboy when they first came out in 1990 and gave it to me when I was 16. I usually just rode it to school/down to the convenience store for probably 3 years. I think the only time I actually rode it for anything legit was when him and I went to Bike week in Daytona. Oh and I believe in statistics.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Off topic but ever since Sons of Anarchy came on TV "Clubs" have been springing up all over the place around me. There was always a few weekend warrior clubs in the area of old guys just wanting to ride country roads and hang out. Now every white trash meth head is in a "MC".

Its so sad that in a dumpy village south of me is what used to be a shit hole pizzeria. Then the owner killed himself in the kitchen, it closed and was abandoned. Now "The Kingsmen MC" rent it as their clubhouse. its on a main steet between a shit bar and a shit section 8 housing building. All the guys are trash from the area. They cant stop showing off their CUTS. THalf of their members dont even own a motorcycle. My friends brother in law was "patched in" because he would hang with these guys. Never been on a bike in his life. He got drunk one night and didnt show up for "church" so they showed up, took his cut and kicked his ass.

These are all welfare scum bags living the 1 percenter dream, minus any sort of actual organized crime.

So if you get a bike, dont join a club.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Off topic but ever since Sons of Anarchy came on TV "Clubs" have been springing up all over the place around me. There was always a few weekend warrior clubs in the area of old guys just wanting to ride country roads and hang out. Now every white trash meth head is in a "MC".

Its so sad that in a dumpy village south of me is what used to be a shit hole pizzeria. Then the owner killed himself in the kitchen, it closed and was abandoned. Now "The Kingsmen MC" rent it as their clubhouse. its on a main steet between a shit bar and a shit section 8 housing building. All the guys are trash from the area. They cant stop showing off their CUTS. THalf of their members dont even own a motorcycle. My friends brother in law was "patched in" because he would hang with these guys. Never been on a bike in his life. He got drunk one night and didnt show up for "church" so they showed up, took his cut and kicked his ass.

These are all welfare scum bags living the 1 percenter dream, minus any sort of actual organized crime.

So if you get a bike, dont join a club.
There's a shit ton of legit "bike clubs" out there. But it's just like anything else really, you find a bunch of dirtballs doing shady shit you probably want to avoid them. Not to mention Buffalo is a shit hole so I could see a bunch of wanna-be SoA meth heads wanting to emulate that there.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
There's a shit ton of legit "bike clubs" out there. But it's just like anything else really, you find a bunch of dirtballs doing shady shit you probably want to avoid them. Not to mention Buffalo is a shit hole so I could see a bunch of wanna-be SoA meth heads wanting to emulate that there.
There is like 2 OK clubs, then 1 Trashy but still "legit"

Then a bunch of faggots in leather vests.

Fuck you, Buffalo is great if you avoid the shitty parts and live in Ski Country like I do. Amazing environment, but at the same time what kind of idiot owns a Bike here...5 months of riding weather tops.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Bicycles don't go 0 - 60 in 2 seconds. Bicycles don't usually split lanes between cars, as they stay to the right. Bikes are just easier to avoid, since they are usually in the same place. Motorcycles tend to be "within" the traffic, I guess.

AF - "as fuck" I think.
You don't live in SoCal. Bicyclists are a scourge on the road and I pretend to kill as many as possible. Man do they get pissed when I sit behind their wheel and lay on the horn. Had one doing figure eights in the middle of the intersection because the light was red and people were doing left hand turns across it. He didn't want to stop moving but was in the way of everyone. Got behind him as he was about to turn left on another intersection and just as he was turning I laid on m horn hard. He almost shit himself and fell over. It pleased me so much.

I bought my motorcycle at age 31 and it was an Harley Davidson XR1200. Way too much bike for my first bike. I only had one minor accident on it and this is on busy streets/freeways of San Diego and crazy blind corners and no street lights in Germany. I sold it in Germany because of the weather there and I was having issue with my hands with the cancer drugs. Once I get better I will probably go with a smaller engine dual sport.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
There is like 2 OK clubs, then 1 Trashy but still "legit"

Then a bunch of faggots in leather vests.

Fuck you, Buffalo is great if you avoid the shitty parts and live in Ski Country like I do. Amazing environment, but at the same time what kind of idiot owns a Bike here...5 months of riding weather tops.
SKI COUNTRY? IN BUFFALO? Shit dog you're delusional. You can travel ~3 hours north and have an infinitely better country, they basically just have exaggerated hills in Buffalo.

Ski country that is, Canada sucks.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
SKI COUNTRY? IN BUFFALO? Shit dog you're delusional. You can travel ~3 hours north and have an infinitely better country, they basically just have exaggerated hills in Buffalo.

Ski country that is, Canada sucks.
Not saying its the best skiiing in the world. Works for most canadians that come down here. Top 10 skiiing in the eastern US. And makes for great views driving in the summer, which is the point that ties this to riding.

Serious though, you are underestimating the area.

/derail

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not saying its the best skiiing in the world. Works for most canadians that come down here. Top 10 skiiing in the eastern US. And makes for great views driving in the summer, which is the point that ties this to riding.
Of course it's not the best in the world, it's not the best in the eastern US, and it's not even the best in NY!

Come on bro, face it, Buffalo is a shitty blue collard city.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Of course it's not the best in the world, it's not the best in the eastern US, and it's not even the best in NY!

Come on bro, face it, Buffalo is a shitty blue collard city.
Have you been to any of the resorts here? Way better than Whiteface NY and by far the best in NY. better than most of ME and VT too.

Yeah buffalo is blue collar. Point being? Not sure what the deal is. I like living here. I like where I live south of the city. Not much more to be said.

Siliconemelons

YAMAHAMidnightWarrior-medium-2796_8.jpg

because we are posting what we want...

Get a bike, be responsible x 999999 and pray and hold a high value life insurance policy.

What people earlier where saying was not a statistics on # or % of deaths in accidents, but the fact that car v car minor incident below even a fender bender is at least laying your bike down and road rash.

because we are posting stories also- 3 lane intersection with 2 lanes left turn - all with full traffic singles and arrows E/W traffic ends their cycle- everyone is stopped, the 1-2sec everyone is on red period passes- N/S left turn go green arrow-north bound- biker in leftmost-front of the two turn lanes looks and waits a moment and starts to go- south bound left most forward/south lane person takes off with "old person reacting to the fact the turn lane people next to them are moving so it must be time for them to move!" biker had to lay his bike down or be hit- old lady drives off oblivious to not only the biker but the car that was also turning she almost hit. I was in the turn, house was near by- dropped kids/wife off home and returned to be a witness, that's where I learned the lady just drove off- and nothing cops etc. could do about it- biker is now out any cost / deductible to repair his bike and any injury he got (he was up and walking and fine, was wearing full gear) but pissed as a hornet- with reason.