The Astronomy Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
A++ test, can't wait for the next one. Seems like they've had 3 launches now that had pretty solid goals that were exceeded. Feels great to see experimental launches that are not only successful, but wouldn't even be a huge problem if they were catastrophic.

Cybsled

Great progress over the prior couple tests. Looks like some issues with re-entry and initiating landing protocols at the moment, but actually delivering the main vehicle to orbit safely was the biggest hurdle thus far

Oldbased

> Than U
Jesus man even your congrats are a bit gay. This was a screaming success flight.
Booster returned and with exception of engines not fully firing at the last minute, total success in delivering Starship to orbit, full engine burn for duration, hot staging, and even guiding it back down for landing entry. The final burn/relight is not a massive deal as they got dozens more planned losses either way to work on that. They will not be recovered/land even if perfect so they are taking those losses either way.
On the Starship side, they got the reentry profiles they wanted and the heat data from the plasma flows and all engines ignited and performed as expected. Complete and total success.

It appears it was VERY low on fuel on the burning land burn for the booster and I have to wonder if the v2 of Starship booster coming later this year that is even bigger will solve that. Also the prop load/fueling went as planned too which means refueling is a go!
Also, SpaceX just put the largest ship into LEO in mankinds history. Knocking the shuttle the fuk out.
1710436418706.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
The fact that they not only have the technology to livestream an experimental rocket launch but the balls to do so is pretty awesome. The reentry footage was wild.

SpaceX's own feed with better commentary:

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
The pictures make it look like the thing was riveted together by a drunk - but talented - farmboy in his barn, rather than some of the most cutting edge piece of technology mankind has ever created. Reminds me a bit of the Soviet space station in Armageddon.

That said, if I did get an invitation to ride in it, I'd take it. But that says more about how little I value my future than how much I trust this engineering! :emoji_sweat_smile:

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It appears it was VERY low on fuel on the burning land burn for the booster and I have to wonder if the v2 of Starship booster coming later this year that is even bigger will solve that. Also the prop load/fueling went as planned too which means refueling is a go!

Looked about normal to me, it needs very little fuel for the landing since at that point it has burned almost all of the fuel mass. The booster weights 3600 tons at launch and only 200 of that is the vehicle, the rest is all fuel/oxygen. Basically just an empty barrel falling from the sky, the atmosphere already slows it down to a few hundred mph, you only need a short burn to slow that to zero.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Looked about normal to me, it needs very little fuel for the landing since at that point it has burned almost all of the fuel mass. The booster weights 3600 tons at launch and only 200 of that is the vehicle, the rest is all fuel/oxygen. Basically just an empty barrel falling from the sky, the atmosphere already slows it down to a few hundred mph, you only need a short burn to slow that to zero.
The concept of a bajillion dollar skyscraper burning thousands of tons of fuel and trying to land on empty like my dumbass rolling into the gas station with the engine choking out because there's no gasoline left is fantastic.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users