The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Needless

Toe Sucker
Ok, I am DS stupid. I started over, didnt realize the blonde girl was much superior fighter than caster, how the hell do you delete a save game slot? Thanks!
You didn't get that out of her intro video... sword... fighting... with her swordmaster? hue hue hue.

Who cares, just swap jobs and keep playing, it's not even worth the effort to reroll

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Added everyone whose codes worked on the list down to Droigan.

And because I'm sexist I keep both ladies in caster positions at the bottom of my list. At the last crystal, and I have to say
I highly recommend the Pierce Default support skill for your melee folks when fighting Edea's dad. Fucker defaults borderline nonstop. Still haven't really ground many jobs up to respectable levels with my crew. I'm more or less just leaving them as is and letting the support abilities fill in gaps from other classes I switched from. Really want to work on leveling up swordmaster/templar to use with a ninja partner. Counter shit/super defense and the ninja skill that forces enemies to target a character. But not til after I max my spell fencer, ninja, time mage and red mage.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Added everyone whose codes worked on the list down to Droigan.

And because I'm sexist I keep both ladies in caster positions at the bottom of my list. At the last crystal, and I have to say
I highly recommend the Pierce Default support skill for your melee folks when fighting Edea's dad. Fucker defaults borderline nonstop. Still haven't really ground many jobs up to respectable levels with my crew. I'm more or less just leaving them as is and letting the support abilities fill in gaps from other classes I switched from. Really want to work on leveling up swordmaster/templar to use with a ninja partner. Counter shit/super defense and the ninja skill that forces enemies to target a character. But not til after I max my spell fencer, ninja, time mage and red mage.
Where have you been old friend? I miss you in the MMO section.

Fadaar

That guy
Either way. Same thing with anime... there's a reason the hundreds of high school harem shows aren't popular in the US but shows like Bebop, Trigun, etc are. We just aren't into that kind of stuff.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Both the examples you've given were written by japanese writers. It's not an issue of the nationality of the writer, simply of the quality of the work and what they're trying to do. Here's an example, Dragonball the movie was written by an american(well technically born in hong kong but works in the US exclusively). Would you say it was better than the original series because of it? Not that the japanese wouldn't have ruined the movie either, they do their fair share of absolutely awful live action adaptation.

Fadaar

That guy
No nothing against the Japanese writers, it's just that the majority of the content is the same basic formula. It's the 'different' stuff that seems to catch on in the west.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
So what's the verdict on this? Buy now or wait a few months for a price drop?
Bravely Default, buy now. Worth it.

Lightning returns that was just released I don't know yet. Downloading it now along with the Japanese voices which was a free addon.

Sean_sl

shitlord
No nothing against the Japanese writers, it's just that the majority of the content is the same basic formula. It's the 'different' stuff that seems to catch on in the west.
If you think that "everything is high school harem shows" then you don't actually watch anime dude.

These are all of the shows that I am currently watching that are airing right now on TV:

The Pilot's Love Song
Tonari no Seki-kun
Nisekoi
D-Frag
Nourin
Sekai Seifuku ~Bouryaku no Zvezda~
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
Tokyo Ravens
Witch Craft Works
Magical Warfare
Noragami
Nobunagun
Nobunaga the Fool
Wizard Barristers Benmashi Cecil
Buddy Complex
Hamatora
Z/X Ignition
ImoCho
Onee-chan ga Kita
Magi
Hunter X Hunter
Gin no Saji
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Log Horizon
Strike the Blood
Ace of Diamond
Kuroko's Basketball
Hajime no Ippo
Golden Time
Nagi no Asakura
Kill la Kill

You could make a case for a *couple* being "harem shows", but even those ones aren't really at their core, and the vast majority of them are anything but harem shows. Powers/Magic, MMOs, Farming, and Sports are the current in things.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
That's arguable, you're considering the stuff that you deem acceptable in terms of watching anime, such as adult themed anime, which is fine, but a lot of the stuff popular in the west is the teen oriented shounen anime, such as dragonball Z in its time and more recently naruto, one piece or bleach. All of these reuse the exact same patterns(nobody 15years old becomes a hero, new evil guy appears and beat the hero/do something evilish, hero trains to get better powers, beat the evil guy, new evil guy appears etc). Char design and combat tend to be the strong points of the genre but they're anything but "different".

Also the harem stuff isn't that popular in japan either, it's not just over here. It's fairly small impact and is mostly made as a way to sell merchandise and uncensored DVD/Bluerays. Unless what you meant by harem was everything with cute girls in it, in which case I agree that's the large part of the anime market, but almost everything has cute girls in it because well, that's how TV/entertainment works.

However where I mostly disagree with you is the fact that FF does the "same basic formula" in their stories. It's exactly because they do NOT do this that they end up with absolutely fucking shit story. You can't look at the story of FF13(and the other games linked to it) and tell me that's basic. In fact it's quite the opposite, and by mashing together completely senseless elements for the sake of having them, the story becomes inconsistent and confusing, making the game shit.

In western game terms, this is Mass Effect 3 ending. Mass Effect 3 ending tried something different just for the sake of being different. It was absolute shit. If the game ended with a very basic "you save the world, gg", while a lot of people would have said it wasn't a good ending, they also wouldn't have said it was the most terrible ending of all things. The modern FF, and to an extent even older FF, always have tried to make shit cool by making them as alien and weird as possible. Sometimes it kinda works, most of the time it's just weird and people dislike it, and that includes in japan. They go with convoluted developement because that's what they think is a twist.

Regardless though, in no way a FF being written by US or european writers would automatically be better than modern FF stories. I mean it might not be worse cause that's not terribly hard, but it doesn't mean it'd be better, and they could easily have japanese writers make cool stories. The issue is more in the mindset they're in and what they think a FF story should be like(crazy unrealistic stuff at every corner so people FEEL THE FANTASY or whatever the fuck) than the fact they're trying to produce all the same shit. I guess they do follow that formula though, that everything has to be completely different, but that's hardly a "basic" formula.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Not sure how many of you are playing LR, but on Normal difficulty this game is pretty hard. They throw you against some randomly very hard monsters early on, and with only 6 potion slots it gets tough. I'm hoping we get access to a healer garb, but not sure we will. Already 3.5 hours in and enjoying it very much. The challenge is nice.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Not sure how many of you are playing LR, but on Normal difficulty this game is pretty hard. They throw you against some randomly very hard monsters early on, and with only 6 potion slots it gets tough. I'm hoping we get access to a healer garb, but not sure we will. Already 3.5 hours in and enjoying it very much. The challenge is nice.
Cool, getting the game tomorrow(yay euro release dates) but that sounds nice, even if I don't have super high expectations still, if it's challenging it'll be fun enough.

Sean_sl

shitlord
There's no healer stuff according to the guide, just potions. You need to Block more, basically, it's pretty key. You can also instant stagger some things with timing.

But yeah, if you fuck up on harder stuff the game will have you going "fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck POTION!"

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
FFxiii question

my wife beat ffxiii

can she skip ffxiii-2 and just play

ffxiii-3 lightning returns

or is there a lot of ffxiii-2 story that goes into ffxiii-3?

i ask because i bought ffxiii chinese (jap voices/english menus/subs) cuz i couldn't stand her playing ffxiii american.

and i only have a ffxiii-2 american, with that stupid serah girl and don't think i can stand to listen to it! (since i heard it's mainly about her and some other annoying boy?)

Sean_sl

shitlord
FF13-2 is leagues better than FF13 and is a good game and should be played. It's also more related to LR's story than FF13 is.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone got a good summary of the side quests and when to do them? Found a couple but they're not at all ordered well so it's flipping through a dozen pages to figure out if there's any doable at a given time.