The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Had to go digging for this thread -- anyone ever play the International Zodiac version of FF12? Downloaded it for shits and giggles and because I'm really bored. Curious about thoughts.
I think Vorph played it, I seem to remember he liked it. I had almost gone through the trouble of setting up an emulator because of his thoughts of it.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
IZJS is excellent. Unless you have some specific questions, about all I can say is that if you played the NA version at all then whatever you might think you remember about loot placement is wrong, and most importantly you need never worry about that retarded "oops, now I can never get the Zodiac Spear" shit again. I would suggest you plan ahead for what jobs you want to give everyone; generally the idea is to have two fixed teams you can swap between once you have all 6 characters. I planned out espers in advance too, but that's not strictly necessary if you don't know that much about the game going into it. If you want to know the exact setup I used rather than experiment with it, I can post that too.

And yeah, Japan's X/O swap is infuriating. At least it's simple to fix for emulated games. What really pisses me off is going from my PS4 to my 3DS and back. Nintendo are assholes who apparently don't feel the need to conform to local standards at all.

Fadaar

That guy
IZJS is excellent. Unless you have some specific questions, about all I can say is that if you played the NA version at all then whatever you might think you remember about loot placement is wrong, and most importantly you need never worry about that retarded "oops, now I can never get the Zodiac Spear" shit again. I would suggest you plan ahead for what jobs you want to give everyone; generally the idea is to have two fixed teams you can swap between once you have all 6 characters. I planned out espers in advance too, but that's not strictly necessary if you don't know that much about the game going into it. If you want to know the exact setup I used rather than experiment with it, I can post that too.

And yeah, Japan's X/O swap is infuriating. At least it's simple to fix for emulated games. What really pisses me off is going from my PS4 to my 3DS and back. Nintendo are assholes who apparently don't feel the need to conform to local standards at all.
Yep using a PS4 controller since I can't find my wired 360 controller... no fucking clue where it is... so I just swapped X and O buttons in a profile. I played the original to completion but it's been since it originally came out in the US. I guess this time I shouldn't completely ignore Vaan and Penelo since having a class diversity will be helpful. So far I've only got Vaan and made him a Knight, haven't even left Rabanastre yet still at the very beginning before you go outside for the first time. Would love to hear your setup.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Still hoping for a FF12 remaster. The FF10 remaster was so good I beasted that shit out in like a week and I never do that.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Alright friends, I'm planning on marathoning every main title FF game between now and the release of XV. (Excluding XI and XIV.) So bros, which is the best version/remake of each game to play? Prefer PC/emulation if possible.

Obviously VII only has one option but I know there's a lot of different versions for II/IV and III.

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
Go for the remakes of everything unless it has the chibi art style. I think they've made V and VI with that garbage. The DS remakes of III and IV are especially good, as well.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
How difficult is it to emulate DS on PC? I have a couple of friends who want me to stream the games.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Is the new Fire Emblem game on 3DS worth my time? I enjoyed the first one on 3DS.

Fadaar

That guy
Alright friends, I'm planning on marathoning every main title FF game between now and the release of XV. (Excluding XI and XIV.) So bros, which is the best version/remake of each game to play? Prefer PC/emulation if possible.

Obviously VII only has one option but I know there's a lot of different versions for II/IV and III.
Looks like damn near every game is on Steam except for 1, 2, 10, and 12. They have 9 listed as "Early 2016" whatever that means at this point, but it isn't out yet. 10/10-2 can be had on PS2, PS3, PS4, or PC emulation. 12 as far as I know is still PS2 only or PC emulation. You can also get 1-6 on Android and maybe iOS too (unsure, I have an Android phone) so you can play them on a tablet or phone. Apparently 9 is also available for mobile... was not aware of that until I checked just now.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
How difficult is it to emulate DS on PC? I have a couple of friends who want me to stream the games.
Incredibly easy. DeSmuMe and go to town. Not sure if the 3ds has been emulated or not, but the NDS is borderline 100% compatible these days.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yep using a PS4 controller since I can't find my wired 360 controller... no fucking clue where it is... so I just swapped X and O buttons in a profile. I played the original to completion but it's been since it originally came out in the US. I guess this time I shouldn't completely ignore Vaan and Penelo since having a class diversity will be helpful. So far I've only got Vaan and made him a Knight, haven't even left Rabanastre yet still at the very beginning before you go outside for the first time. Would love to hear your setup.
Group 1
Balthier - White Mage
Ashe - Samurai
Fran - Uhlan

Most people use Fran as Breaker, but having two characters with Shade of Black isn't a great idea (and I want to give Cuchu to Penelo anyway). Typically that means you don't put Fran and Ashe in the same group, but I wanted the characters I like best in the group I intended to use ~80% of the time. Ashe as Samurai is pretty much non-negotiable imo, so Uhlan was a solid choice. It keeps the groups balanced in terms of armor types as well (i.e. 2 mystic, 2 light, 2 heavy).

Group 2
Vaan - Monk
Penelo - Red Mage
Basch - Archer

Vaan as Monk is a no-brainer when White Mage is already assigned. Red Mage provides solid offense and defense. Basch could go either Archer or Hunter; Hunter is better to start, but Archer is better in the long run. Since this party is on the bench most of the time anyway, that's fine. Also, going Hunter completely fucks up the esper list below, since Famfrit and Zodiark are great for Archer but do nothing for Hunter.

Adrammelech - White Mage
Belias - Samurai
Chaos - Monk
Cuchulainn- Red Mage
Exodus - Samurai
Famfrit - Archer
Hashmal - Monk
Mateus - Uhlan
Shemhazai - White Mage
Ultima - Monk
Zalera - Samurai
Zeromus - White Mage
Zodiark - Archer

Most choices are pretty obvious, since the classes were picked based on their ability to make use of all the espers without feeling like there was any real competition for certain ones.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider

The PSP Versions of 1/2 are actually pretty good, and the PSP emulator is pretty nice also(albiet there is some tearing issues, but only on the Overworld)

Also you can get FFIV: Complete includes Interlude + After Years

And FFIII for PSP but that is the same exact one that is on Steam

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
So far I think the versions I'm going to play are:

1: PSP (or Android if it's the same)
2: PSP (or Android if it's the same)
3: DS
4: DS
5: GBA
6: GBA
7: PC
8: PC
9: Android (or PC if it comes out when I get around to it)
10: PS2 (or PS3 if I can emu it)
12: PS2
13: PC

Chris

Potato del Grande
On the last boss of Bravely Second, really enjoying it and 53 hours in but will have to go back and do some sidequests. It's out in the EU now but US version is out this month I think.

Play the demo before you get it (I didnt), it's not directly connected to the games story but trust me you'll appreciate some things more. Also take a long hard look at the games box art and think about what "End Layer" could mean
smile.png

Hard mode is hard so you'll need to grind or play Normal mode.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
So far I think the versions I'm going to play are:

1: PSP (or Android if it's the same)
2: PSP (or Android if it's the same)
3: DS
4: DS
5: GBA
6: GBA
7: PC
8: PC
9: Android (or PC if it comes out when I get around to it)
10: PS2 (or PS3 if I can emu it)
12: PS2
13: PC
If you are gonna Emulate 10, get the International Version that was released in Europe(Includes Penance, honestly the PS3/4 versions are really nice though)

Fadaar

That guy
I got the PS3 version and it's great. Pretty sure the PS4 version is identical, but if anything I'd prefer the PS4 version just because the PS4 is so much faster at everything.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
There's a PS3 version of FF10?

I mean, I can play the PS2 version in my old school backwards compatible PS3, but I thought that was the only way.

colossalFISH

Silver Knight of the Realm
HD Remaster. It comes with X-2 aswell, for what that's worth. Downside to the PS3 version is you're stuck with the remastered soundtrack, which is inferior in every possible way imo. I believe the ps4 remaster allows you the choice between the original/remastered ost.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
There's a PS3 version of FF10?

I mean, I can play the PS2 version in my old school backwards compatible PS3, but I thought that was the only way.
A Remastered version of X + X-2 was released(last year ?) both games come on 1 disc + extra's like the Final Mission stuff we never seen in X-2(Was a japan only release before this.)There both the international versions also, which includes the Dark Aeons and Penance from the European/Japan releases..

there is also a PS4 version(better load times) PS4 version also comes with the original soundtrack, PS3 only has the remastered tracks

There is also Rumors of a Steam release of it coming down the pipe, a steam DBentry was created recently(No official word yet)