The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
you need help.

And man I really do think the series peaked on SNES but I'll be god damned if I'm gonna shell out money to buy all these yet again.

I'm the guy who played an old version of Dark Souls 2 just to get a second platinum, and played every remake of Dragon Quest III back to back earlier this year just to compare them. Once I get into these things I plow through them fast.

Red Mages are actually nerfed in that version.

Oh yeah? I thought they weren't nerfed until the Pixel Remaster (where they're pretty bad). Maybe I should have just done this on the NES version, but I wanted to try the PS1 version.

It'd explain why the PS1 RM game is SO DAMN SLOW. It's lagging waaaay behind the other two in progression so I'm focusing on it exclusively until I catch up.

The Silver Sword is back in all its 4000 GP glory, now called the Mythril Sword. It being missing from the Pixel Remaster made that version even harder for RMs. So at least it's here in the PS1 version to balance things out a bit. Taking an age and a half to even grind out enough GP for one of them though, plus I'm getting Bolt 2 along the way to speed up the ship fights.

I want to get Mythril Swords on everyone, plus Bolt 2, before Astos. Also need armor, and Cure 2/Fire 2...and then there are the L4 spells that I'm not even thinking about yet... the grind is real. IIRC they can also get Fire 3 (I think it's their last spell before the class change) but that isn't until Melmond. My main concern, like the Thief game, is getting past Astos. Once I get to the Earth Cave and power this group up sufficiently I'll go back to bouncing between the 3 games.

Chris

Potato del Grande
FF3 already has canon names from the 3D remake (Luneth, Ingus, Refia, Arc) so I'm wondering what the most suitable for FF1 are.

I was considering using the names from FF14 Shadowbringers since the FF1 warrior shows up in it.

Something like Elidibus(Warrior), Emet-Selch(Black Mage), Lahabrea(Black Mage), Azem(White Mage).

Alternatively using the Warrior of Darkness with Ardbert's party, too bad there are 5 of them.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
you need help.

And man I really do think the series peaked on SNES but I'll be god damned if I'm gonna shell out money to buy all these yet again.
You can find them in various places if you feel
you’ve already paid enough for these over the years. They’re fairly small files. The SNES versions aren’t out yet obviously but they will be.

Last edited:

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
While the orchestral music is nice, the fact that you don't have the option for the original style is some bullshit.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
FF3 already has canon names from the 3D remake (Luneth, Ingus, Refia, Arc) so I'm wondering what the most suitable for FF1 are.

I was considering using the names from FF14 Shadowbringers since the FF1 warrior shows up in it.

Something like Elidibus(Warrior), Emet-Selch(Black Mage), Lahabrea(Black Mage), Azem(White Mage).

Alternatively using the Warrior of Darkness with Ardbert's party, too bad there are 5 of them.

Name all four of them Cody.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I'm waiting for the PS4 compilation with achievements. FF1 was cool though, and I'll probably play FF3 eventually if we don't get a compilation.

A compilation, though? Yeah, I'll buy that day one and get 6 platinums on that shiznit.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I finished all 3 of my FF1 runs. Each one flew by....except the Red Mage which took a while. Monk was BY FAR the easiest. Red Mage on the nerfed PS1 version was an extremely slow process. And, get this, four Black Mages in the Pixel Remaster was actually HARDER than the NES version because of Chaos' increased HP. Put it this way, Nuke does about 1.5x the damage it does on the NES while Chaos has 10x the HP. I'd run out of Nuke casts and he'd still be at 25% health. If he cast Curaja or Haste, the fight was over. I was relegating myself to only using NES version items (so no Ethers or Phoenix Downs) because I thought it'd be easier than the NES version. Newp. I finally won by using Haste and a bunch of Tempers on my Masamune-wielder, which made them hit for about 3x the damage of Nuke. So basically the same strategy I used in the Red Mage and Ninja games.

The Monks on the other hand had a really slow start (weaker than Thieves at first), then just absolutely rolled everything in this game from about level 8 onward. Easiest four-character group I've ever played FF1 with, INCLUDING my four Fighters run back in the day.

Red Mage game was just slow. Wasn't that hard, just very very slow.

20210831_004508.jpg

Screenshot_20210903-000900_FF1.jpg

20210830_003737.jpg

Overall:
-Monk took the least time and was easiest
-Red Mage took the most time
-Black Mage was the hardest

The PS1 version was just as difficult as the NES version (and with nerfed character level-ups) while the Pixel Remaster had a dramatically harder Chaos, so they likely balanced out.

Finished Monk game with everyone at level 28, Red Mage with the Masamune-wielder at 50 and everyone else at 35, and Black Mage with everyone at 50. Final time was roughly 8 hours for Monk, 13 hours for Black Mage, 17 hours for Red Mage.

I did a 4 Fighters playthrough back in the day on NES and a 4 Ninjas playthrough recently, so all that's left is 4 White Mage at some distant time to give me a reason to do this again. Not for a while though. So far on the difficulty scale, from easiest to hardest, it goes:

1. 4x Monk
2. 4x Fighter
3. 4x Red Mage
4. 4x Thief/Ninja
5. 4x Black Mage

Thief/Ninja is a tough one to rank because Ninjas are pretty good and probably #2 (above Red Mage and maybe Fighter) on the scale, while Thieves are terrible and easily #5 (the worst by far) on the scale. So I averaged it out and put them at #4.

I'm extremely done with FF1 for now.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Still not up on Steam, though.

This is a great trilogy. Played all 3 of them in 2000 so they remind me of that year and yes, road trips.

That said this is a pretty ehh collection. How about Romancing SaGa 1-3 instead, or included? That would be a must-have collection. I know we got remasters of RS2 and RS3 but we've never gotten the original SFC versions ported/translated. And we've never gotten RS1 at all in anything resembling its original form.

I'll also take a SaGa Frontier 2 remaster while we're at it. But yeah, just ports of RS1-3 would be amazing. I played through RS3's Japanese SFC version and I'm sure I'll play the RS2 remaster, but I kinda resigned myself to never getting to play RS1 at this point.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This is looking like the most troll campy Final Fantasy game ever

TBH when I first heard about this game it sounded like "Souls + FF1" and I couldn't wait. Was imagining a Souls type game set in FF1's world with the same six class archetypes, fighting through familiar areas against grittier versions of FF1 foes.

...then I found out more about it and played the demo, etc. And now all I can say is "why does this exist"

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
TBH when I first heard about this game it sounded like "Souls + FF1" and I couldn't wait. Was imagining a Souls type game set in FF1's world with the same six class archetypes, fighting through familiar areas against grittier versions of FF1 foes.

...then I found out more about it and played the demo, etc. And now all I can say is "why does this exist"

Because Tetsuya is salty about 15 still *laugh* I bet...

It's cool and all that it's the story of the 4 bats from FF1 but other then that *shrug* don't care..

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What's really sad is that Team Ninja is making the game and so far the demos aren't even remotely close to Nioh 2 quality. Which I guess makes sense since the credits list people who worked on Marvel Alliance 3 (which was an abomination) and nobody from the Nioh team.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Because Tetsuya is salty about 15 still *laugh* I bet...

It's cool and all that it's the story of the 4 bats from FF1 but other then that *shrug* don't care..

It's seriously the story of four bats?

I can't say I'm all that optimistic about FF16 at this rate.