The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Im listening to the podcast today, Im on episode 2 so far.

I had no idea that they redid and retranslated FF6 to improve on the original Woolsey translation (I also learned about Woolseyisms).

So whats considered the best, definitive FF6 version now from the dialogue and art standpoint? From translation standpoint theyre saying its the Game Boy Advance version.
GBA version is best but a lot of people dislike it for the fact that the soundtrack isn't as good. There's patches to fix that tho if you're playing on emulator.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
north america SNES art :honkler: :honkler: :honkler:
1694212813081.png

I seem to have lost that photoshop you did of the NA box art to say FFIIIIII, which is a shame because it was a classic.

• 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
There was an interview with the female dev that I think did Celes, and used to be an artist? - the entire game was not split up - that section was - she explained it.

The story was unified in terms of Start-Stuff-Stuff-Finish - the details of stuff fell into the 3 people / teams that did the 3-way split scenario at the "start" of the game. As I mentioned in the Pixel Remaster thread, playing it now, the Sabin stuff is so much longer and more story than the other 2. The scenario teams worked, I guess in the minds of the people putting this together so /then/ they kind of set those teams as sort of perma teams to go about making and filling the scenarios as the game went on.

It would not have been /our/ WOB if they ended it at the floating island - there would have been more, as many have speculated - not perhaps as much more or in the same way as we got with the WOR - but there would have been more before the current end of the WOB. Like Setzer, he is almost all in WOR for his story - that story would have still been done, just in the WOB and some things modified. Like there may have been another split or tri-split in characters when approaching the Floating Content - this could have sent your 3 into the island, then had the airship destroyed splitting up into another 2 groups - this could lead Setzer's stuff and needing to get another ship to rejoin everyone at the floating content for the final confrontation etc.

I could definitely see Kohlingen to Darill's Tomb being one of the 3-split late WoB scenarios. The airship gets grounded late in WoB for a while, and I could see it getting shredded during the Espers Unleashed or even the FC rising. So Setzer having to get them a new airship while other characters were divided up into two other groups makes total sense.

Wonder what the other two would be it this were shortly before the FC. Depends on if it's after the Espers Unleashed or after Kefka slays Leo and the FC raises.

Maybe Locke/Terra/Shadow (then getting Strago/Relm) was one scenario. Setzer/Celes/Sabin/Edgar would be the airship scenario. That leaves Gau/Mog/Cyan...not sure what from WoR fits that. Maybe the whole Doma dream sequence?

If a 3 split happened after Kefka slays Leo and raises the FC, then all bets are off. You have Setzer and whoever he's with, then split everyone else in whatever way.

Hard to say what WoR scenarios might have been intended for WoB under this paradigm but I think Darill's Tomb is a really good bet. Maybe even some of the other stuff connected to like, Figaro in general (Basement dungeon, the strata cave, the Ancient Castle).

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Im listening to the podcast today, Im on episode 2 so far.

I had no idea that they redid and retranslated FF6 to improve on the original Woolsey translation (I also learned about Woolseyisms).

So whats considered the best, definitive FF6 version now from the dialogue and art standpoint? From translation standpoint theyre saying its the Game Boy Advance version.

From a dialogue and art standpoint you can probably go Advance version pretty safely.

For anyone wondering, best versions IMO:
FF1 - PSP (Dawn of Souls HD, basically)
FF2 - PSP
FF3 - Pixel Remaster
FF4 - PSP
FF5 - Advance
FF6 - Advance

This gives you the copious amounts of extra content in 1/2/4/5/6 and the prettiest versions of 1/2/4. PR wins for 3 because there are no other versions that add anything. If one doesn't care about extra content, then PR for all of them probably. However some of the best stuff is postgame.

FF1 - Five optional dungeons leading up to Chronodia in the last one, basically gives you a reason to actually min-max your group well beyond the actual endgame which is pretty low-level.

FF2 - Postgame chapter is possibly better than anything in the main game.

FF4 - PSP version includes an entire sequel game (After Years) and an interlude to bridge them, plus it looks good. I think FF4 Advance has some postgame content that the PSP version doesn't have, but it isn't very good content.

FF5A - Postgame areas add four new classes and new bosses that encourage min-maxing and actually pose a challenge. This and FF1 PSP are probably the best two for postgame super boss fights.

FF6A - Postgame is alright, not great or expansive like the others, but it does add the Kaiser Dragon back into the game (removed during development) and give the game some actual challenging endgame fights.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What is that FF6 DS fan art? Wishful thinking?

Was just wondering that. For a second I thought they'd planned an FF6 3D after FF4 3D and that was the art before it was scrapped. Then wondered how I never heard about this. Then noticed at least two of the screenshots on the back are from the Dissidia games. So yeah I guess this one is just wishful thinking.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
From a dialogue and art standpoint you can probably go Advance version pretty safely.

FF2 - PSP
FF3 - Pixel Remaster
FF4 - PSP
FF5 - Advance
FF6 - Advance

This gives you the copious amounts of extra content in 1/2/4/5/6 and the prettiest versions of each. PR wins for 3 because there are no other versions that add anything. If one doesn't care about extra content, then PR for all of them probably. However some of the best stuff is postgame.

FF1 - Five optional dungeons leading up to Chronodia in the last one, basically gives you a reason to actually min-max your group well beyond the actual endgame which is pretty low-level.

FF4 - PSP version includes an entire sequel game (After Years) and an interlude to bridge them, plus it looks good. I think FF4 Advance has some postgame content that the PSP version doesn't have, but it isn't very good content.

FF5A - Postgame areas add four new classes and new bosses that encourage min-maxing and actually pose a challenge. This and FF1 PSP are probably the best two for postgame super boss fights.

FF6A - Postgame is alright, not great or expansive like the others, but it does add the Kaiser Dragon back into the game (removed during development) and give the game some actual challenging endgame fights.
100% accurate.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The Final Fantasy Fandom wiki has a pretty comprehensive comparison of all the versions btw, if anyone wants to nerd out.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

FF2 - PSP
FF3 - Pixel Remaster
FF4 - PSP
FF5 - Advance
FF6 - Advance

This gives you the copious amounts of extra content in 1/2/4/5/6 and the prettiest versions of 1/2/4. PR wins for 3 because there are no other versions that add anything. If one doesn't care about extra content, then PR for all of them probably. However some of the best stuff is postgame.

I played the SNES roms years after I gave away my SNES, so I don't think I ever did the super dragon end dungeon, that shit sounds fun. Kefka ends up being a pretty weak end game boss if you do most of WoR quests.

I think I'm gonna find a GBA advance emulator and load it up on my new big screen Android tablet

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Last time I played it was 10-15 years ago and I remember doubling or quadding 9999 on Kefka every round with Locke alone. Kefka end game dungeon was absolutely trivial

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
While Kefka was trivially easy, Locke is not the standard by which a character's power level should be judged lmao

Siliconemelons

I get the content of 4 psp w the sequel but the DS version has a lot going for it imo

I liked 3 pixel better than 3DS

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Enlighten me :emoji_thinking:
Locke basically has access to a second Atma Weapon in the form of the Valiant Knife, which is dumped into your inventory with zero fanfaire after completing the Phoenix Cave in WoR. Ignores defense and the offering damage penalty so an AtmaValiant Locke will be hitting with 8 quad 9s a turn once you get him going.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Locke basically has access to a second Atma Weapon in the form of the Valiant Knife, which is dumped into your inventory with zero fanfaire after completing the Phoenix Cave in WoR. Ignores defense and the offering damage penalty so an AtmaValiant Locke will be hitting with 8 quad 9s a turn once you get him going.
Shark Tank Writing GIF

• 1Like