The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
A lot of people will recommend Shin Megami Tensei IV, but thats not every bodies cup of tea heh
I liked the third one. Think I played that on a SNES emulator (some fan translation of it or something).

Loaded up Bravely Default now, first game I tried. Damn the 3DS XL is.... good. It looks so much better than I thought it would. 3D effects are subtle but great (have it a little over halfway on the slider). Only played it for around 2 hours (beat the first two bosses if you could call them that), but really liking it so far. Extremely Final Fantasyish which I like. Probably need to stop my usual grind mentality though, with all the jobs. First thing I did when I left the castle was to run around it for 20 minutes for exp and gold.

Are there any must do or don'ts in the game? Missable items or quests?

Started the village rebuilding, neat mechanic. So if you keep your DS with you, and someone else has the game and is on too, I will get another worker?

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
To hell with all you guys (especially Sean). I had to get Bravely Default after all the praise, caved to the handheld pressure and bought a DS (Zelda 3DS XL one) today. Downloading Bravely Default now. Also bought Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Are there any other must have RPG games for it? As in the top tier. Only had a DS briefly before and played Ocarina on it. Played no other DS games (other than a little bit of Dragon Warrior IX).

Was looking at Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate or whatever it was called. That any good, or is the hand held version very gimped?
If you like "casual RPGs" for lack of a better word Paper Mario Sticker Star is fun and cheap. I think I got it for like $10, or around there, online.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Story of FFXIII and FFXIII-2 told in 16bit format. Looks cool but makes no fucking sense. Oh well.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Are all the mobile FF's about the same in terms of controls and quality? I really like BDs job system, and I was reading some wiki's and stuff that it's most similar to FFV.

Saw that FFV was up in the App Store, granted, expensive as shit, but have been looking for a new mobile game. Are any of the mobile games better than others, or is it just come down to which FF you liked best?

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Story of FFXIII and FFXIII-2 told in 16bit format. Looks cool but makes no fucking sense. Oh well.
Yeah, that was a pretty kick ass video. It's funny though because I vaguely remember these parts of the storyline and thinking back to it all...man it feels like a complete mess. Why can't we just go back to the main villain is trying to get the 6 crystals of power to destroy the world again? lol

Arkk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Are all the mobile FF's about the same in terms of controls and quality? I really like BDs job system, and I was reading some wiki's and stuff that it's most similar to FFV.

Saw that FFV was up in the App Store, granted, expensive as shit, but have been looking for a new mobile game. Are any of the mobile games better than others, or is it just come down to which FF you liked best?
I've not played Bravely Default yet, but the iOS/Android port of FFV was fantastic. It is, of course, a port from an era gone by, but it's complete in terms of the extra content that's been added to game in its various re-releases. I was absolutely hooked again when I started playing through it a couple months back - I got an unexpected sense of enjoyment out of it that I've not had the past few times I went back to play it.

FFVI also received a similarly-styled port just a couple weeks ago, but I've not really dug into it yet. The game is fantastic on its own merits, but if its the job system in particular you're looking for, you won't find it there.

FF Tactics - War of the Lions is also available in the US (but not on Android... yet) and while I can't speak to the quality of the port, it is by far one of my favorite games of all time. It's more strategy RPG, but it has a very similar job system.

Therage

Vyemm Raider
Ffv is awesome. But I would get it on vita over the phone. I mean the phone version works but I like the actual controllers over the touch screen. Plus I think it's cheaper on Psn. And buying one time allows play on vita and ps3. (sorry answering from my phone ignore shitty grammar and spelling)

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
FFVI also received a similarly-styled port just a couple weeks ago, but I've not really dug into it yet. The game is fantastic on its own merits, but if its the job system in particular you're looking for, you won't find it there.
The FFV Android port is great (just seconding what Arkk said), but the FFVI port is fucked right now. Same treatment as far as graphic upgrades and such go, but it has always online DRM (are you fucking kidding me?), so don't plan on playing it on a plane or wherever, and there is a weird half-second input delay that everyone on every platform has experienced but no one can explain. Hopefully they'll kill the DRM and fix the input lag, but who the fuck knows at this point. Not worth the $16.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I thought I read the FFVI (aka FFIII aka FFIIIIII) port had some gamebreaking bugs too, as in the game totally crashes when Kefka and General Leo fight right before the World of Ruin.

Crone

Can you save at any moment in FFV or is it like BD where you can only save at certain points/npcs? Thinking about loading it up on the tablet and bringing it to work, but I don't want to be far into an area, and then be distracted, and have to lose all my work.

Arkk

Lord Nagafen Raider
The FFV Android port is great (just seconding what Arkk said), but the FFVI port is fucked right now. Same treatment as far as graphic upgrades and such go, but it has always online DRM (are you fucking kidding me?), so don't plan on playing it on a plane or wherever, and there is a weird half-second input delay that everyone on every platform has experienced but no one can explain. Hopefully they'll kill the DRM and fix the input lag, but who the fuck knows at this point. Not worth the $16.
The port of V also had the online requirement (at least the Android version did). I only noticed it once as I was riding along on a short road trip, so it didn't really bother me that much.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Can you save at any moment in FFV or is it like BD where you can only save at certain points/npcs? Thinking about loading it up on the tablet and bringing it to work, but I don't want to be far into an area, and then be distracted, and have to lose all my work.
It has a quicksave feature (one file, deletes after you resume) as well as the regular oldschool FF style saves (anywhere on the world map + dungeon save points).

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
The port of V also had the online requirement (at least the Android version did). I only noticed it once as I was riding along on a short road trip, so it didn't really bother me that much.
Maybe when it was first released or something, but it definitely does not have it now. Playing it on my Nexus 7 in airplane mode as I type this.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Bravely Default just keeps getting better.

I am about 6ish hours into it (maybe only 3-4 for people who just go straight for objectives), only unlocked 4 classes (monk, white mage, black mage, knight), and highest job is level 3. Not tried the demo, so no idea what the later classes are, but when I got access to the world map, I got that "ohhh" feeling that has been lost in FF games for a long time due to their more recent linear nature. It seems big. When I downloaded Zelda, it took 5200ish blocks of the memory card to install (however much that is...), Bravely Default took around 21000 I think it was. Granted lots of that might be cut scenes, but other than the opening, not seen any of those which weren't in game.

Have a question though. In the game, you have that StreetPass thing that gives you builders to build up your town. Each friend pass gives 10 builders, however, it also lets you use something called "update data" which sends your game to the Nintendo servers, and once per day sends 5 friend invites or something to random people who also has the game, and it gives you 5 builders. The problem I have is that doing this also imports enemies (Nemesis) to your village build map. There does not seem to be any filter on who you friend invite, so their levels are all around the place. Now have around 10 nemesis things on my village map, where the lowest is level 20 and several are level 99. I think they persist as well. The level 99 ones are from Japan, with descriptions in Japanese letters. Some of the ones from Japan don't even have a graphic (most do, showing what type of mob it is).

What is the deal with them? I have not fought them yet because my highest character is level 12 and I am still using the level 1 gear. Will they do anything to the village? Do I need to fight them eventually? 5 of them are the same level 20 nemesis. One from Square Enix and 4 similar named ones from other players.

Also, for note to the people who still don't have the game, if this is something you care about. In the opening intro, it asks for an AR card which apparently can be implemented into it (not sure how it works). It asks for the one that came with the game, but as I bought it as a digital download, I couldn't do that. It wouldn't register any of the ones that came with the 3DS (cards of Mario, Luigi, Link, etc). I tried putting Link down, and it didn't do anything. So if you want "everything" in the game, get the physical copy for the AR card and whatever that does.

Vaclav

Droigan, generic AR cards should've come with the system unless some odd model omits them.