The Auto Repair Thread

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Also there is the chance they simply broke a tpms sensor while changing the tires, its ridiculously easy to do and happens all the time. If you can't reset the light take it back to where you had the tires changed.

Also, 90k miles on one set of tires, wtf brand tires were those?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Is it flashing or steady?
Steady

Also there is the chance they simply broke a tpms sensor while changing the tires, its ridiculously easy to do and happens all the time. If you can't reset the light take it back to where you had the tires changed.

Also, 90k miles on one set of tires, wtf brand tires were those?
Yeah I found out you can re-calibrate TPMS through my dash - so I'll do that and if it's not fixed by the time I'm home (long drive) I'll call them up. They originally told me 1 hour, then 2 hours, then I sat around for 4 hours for them to change my tires - so I wouldn't be surprised if someone rushed something in the end and busted it.

They were continentals or something, the stock ones on a '13 accord LX. I drive a lot of highways and I'm pretty easy on my car in general.

I bought some Hankook H727's, apparently with a 100k mile warranty, so hoping I get another 90k out of them.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Electrical tape. That's what I put over the light when the batteries died in my sensors. If I can't tell a 33" tall tire is going flat I guess I deserve to die from a flat tire. Replacements were $100 or more each.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So I have an electrical problem.

2000 Buick Lesabre, and it's got the automatic headlights. I assume the photo sensor is the bulb thing in the middle of the dash. When my car starts and its dark enough out, or when it detects night and turns on the lights while driving, my left blinker dash light and lights outside go solid. Turning on the left blinker does nothing. Been happening a bit and the reason I think it's connected, because this morning while driving the sun came out, car turned off the lights, and the blinker light turned off and they work like normal.

I feel this is a problem that would be an expensive diagnosis at a shop. Any suggestions?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
So I have an older truck (1999 Ford Ranger) that I just use to haul stuff around, so it's not an every day driver, and I have two issues.

1. the driver side window won't go up or down. It's a hand-crank (super basic model), and cranking it just feels like there are broken gears or some such shit. Do any of you have experience opening a door panel and replacing the window actuator in something like this?

2. I have a fuse that I keep pulled. It's for the interior light and the security system. Even with the lights off, there is a constant draw on this that is substantial enough to deplete the battery if it sits for a month. How do I track down what's drawing the power? I'm guessing it's the security system that has a tripped switch somewhere, but I have no idea where. Thoughts?

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Crone: Check all your fuses and see if any have popped and replace if so, otherwise you should check your service manual and look to see if there is a fuse for your light sensor, if there is one, I'd just pull that and should disable it. You'd have to manually turn on your lights from then though, should get you through till you have the cash to fix it/buy a new car.

Lurkingdirk : It's probably a broken window regulator, haven't worked on a ranger in years but look up youtube instructions for how to pull the panel and then check to see if their is a loose cable in the door, if so it's cause the cable snapped and needs to be replaced.

To check for a draw, it's easiest to have a test light (ground wire attached to a screwdriver, like 10 to 20 bucks)and run through your fuse block and test to see if it lights up with the ignitor off or if it's an aftermarket alarm, it should have its own cable coming off that battery connected to the positivity side, if you don't need the alarm you can just disconnect that and see if that stops the draw.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I have an electrical problem.

2000 Buick Lesabre, and it's got the automatic headlights. I assume the photo sensor is the bulb thing in the middle of the dash. When my car starts and its dark enough out, or when it detects night and turns on the lights while driving, my left blinker dash light and lights outside go solid. Turning on the left blinker does nothing. Been happening a bit and the reason I think it's connected, because this morning while driving the sun came out, car turned off the lights, and the blinker light turned off and they work like normal.

I feel this is a problem that would be an expensive diagnosis at a shop. Any suggestions?
Sounds like a body control module problem perhaps? Can you disable auto (IE is there a rotary switch with off/running/on/auto?) and if so does it still happen when disabled?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So it actually has nothing to do with my daylight sensor, but everything to do with whether or not my dash lights are on or not.

I disabled the daylight sensor, and my left blinker dash light, and front and back exterior lights will stay solid whenever I turn on my dash lights. Turn them off, as they would be during the day, and it no longer stays lit, and it works correctly.

Will check fuses tomorrow when I've got daylight.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Not only are electrical problems a bitch but they can be extremely expensive. If you can't find a work-around I'd start looking around for used cars.