The Back to School Thread

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Calculus II: Integration. This is where most people die. Integration doesn't make sense unless you really think about it, and there are a lot of rules. A lot of people will fail or get bad grades here. If you do your HW and think logically this class is actually a joke. Series/sequences can be a bit hairy at the end - they require you to think a little differently.
So, so true. I breezed through Calc I and then hit a brick wall in Calc II. I got halfway through the semester before giving up. I got my midterm back and saw I had failed horribly, so I stood up, walked out of class and went to th guidance office and changed my major then and there.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Integration doesn't make sense? What doesn't make sense about the area under the curve?

Hardest part of integration? Remember the correct noun form of 'convolve'.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Integration doesn't make sense? What doesn't make sense about the area under the curve?

Hardest part of integration? Remember the correct noun form of 'convolve'.
It makes sense to me just fine. I love math, and if I wanted would only require a few more classes to also have a bachelors in mathematics. Took a ton of math classes as electives/tech electives. What I meant was, at the time when you first take Calc II most people in the class aren't going to understand integration and/or why it's important, useful, and the basis of just about everything.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I guess I don't understand it then. I was the asshole in 8th grade trig figuring out the derivative of e^x is e^x while the rest of the class was measuring it by hand.

I would think if integration trips you up, you shouldn't even take Calc I.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Kind of chicken or the egg situation there. You need to know calculus to know if integration will trip you up.

Didn't bother me, just saying what the class was like in my view. I got an A+ and I think the teacher wanted to have sex with me.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I got a 42% on my Calc II final. I was ecstatic. The average was a 25%. One of the best grades in a class of hundreds.

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm a returning Chemistry major with 2 years left. Just finished the first of the two years. Straight A's through my first semesters of organic and analytical but on the math section I'm pretty worried. I took Calc I and II about 5 years ago and next fall I have Calc III. I had A's in my previous calcs but it's definitely going to take some hard studying to get through my next semester. On top of that the rest of my schedule is just assbeat everything (Bioorganic Chem, Physical Chem, Organic and Inorganic Synthesis, Chem Lit., and Senior Research). Anyone have any tips or resources for someone returning to Calc III with no memory of Calc I and II?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I'm a returning Chemistry major with 2 years left. Just finished the first of the two years. Straight A's through my first semesters of organic and analytical but on the math section I'm pretty worried. I took Calc I and II about 5 years ago and next fall I have Calc III. I had A's in my previous calcs but it's definitely going to take some hard studying to get through my next semester. On top of that the rest of my schedule is just assbeat everything (Bioorganic Chem, Physical Chem, Organic and Inorganic Synthesis, Chem Lit., and Senior Research). Anyone have any tips or resources for someone returning to Calc III with no memory of Calc I and II?
Khan academy, paul lamar notes and mit ocw

Ps patrickjmt too

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
You can also contact the math department, talk to the dept chair or another professor. They should be able to give you a list of stuff to work on so you're ready to go.

There's also Schaum's Outlines and just about any calc book available online via the usual means.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
When I took Calc I after like 7 years of no math, they had all the homework in an online component. I forget the website it was through, Pearson or something probably. But they had a really good algebra review built into the coursework. I hammered that as soon as I got access, like an hour or two every day. It comes back quickly.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
i advanced from college algebra to differential equations and linear algebra. i didn't think the higher level math classes were that difficult and i hate math.

anyway, it's a myth that liberal arts degrees are useless. people are just lazy.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Don't be the guy that asks questions when you actually know the answer. Nobody likes that guy.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Holy shit I wish I had this kind of dedication to learning math way back in high school. I've basically gone through 3 years of math in a week.

(And yes, it's sticking. I randomly go back to various parts to review.)

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
In my nursing cohort, there are several people in their 50s who have never received a degree. :) It's never too late.

If you don't know what you want to do, then I highly suggest you take one year and do a lot of different classes to see what you might be interested in.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Holy shit I wish I had this kind of dedication to learning math way back in high school. I've basically gone through 3 years of math in a week.

(And yes, it's sticking. I randomly go back to various parts to review.)
It's going to stick until you take a class like Numerical Analysis and you feel like a baby who forgot simple addition rules

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
i advanced from college algebra to differential equations and linear algebra. i didn't think the higher level math classes were that difficult and i hate math.
Truth.

I went back to college starting in remedial math, and am now taking Cal 3 over the summer. Ive made A's in all the maths I've taken; I used to dread math and hate the fuck out of it, but once I put some time in, I began to genuinely like working problems and now look forward to exercises. Its surprisingly turned into an enjoyable activity for me. Then again, Im not sure you can make it through without at least taking some enjoyment in it, fuck, I couldnt imagine going through problems with the same attitude I had a few years ago.

Calc wasnt nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Truth.

I went back to college starting in remedial math, and am now taking Cal 3 over the summer. Ive made A's in all the maths I've taken; I used to dread math and hate the fuck out of it, but once I put some time in, I began to genuinely like working problems and now look forward to exercises. Its surprisingly turned into an enjoyable activity for me. Then again, Im not sure you can make it through without at least taking some enjoyment in it, fuck, I couldnt imagine going through problems with the same attitude I had a few years ago.

Calc wasnt nearly as bad as people make it out to be.
I think it depends on your instructor. My calc teacher was awesome, really helpful, never treated anyone like they had a dumb question or whatever, and just generally made the class an enjoyable experience. Some other people at my school had real trouble with their teacher. And one teacher is so tough on her students that a kid came in a tried to shoot her. Not that his imbalance was her fault, but my wife had her for statistics and she was a monster and generally made the class unfun, and had like a 40% failure rate.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
This is the territory where the administration needs to step in and realize there's less something wrong with the students and more something wrong with the teacher.
If only! I think they do that to terrify and intimidate students who always got straight A's in high school. It's fucking retarded that you can get a 25% on a final exam and still pass the class because that was the average. Fake way to buff up the "prestige" of a program.