The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Ganthorn

N00b
They said negative to it before that the only special protections were online passes and the like that the hardware didn't get directly involved with. And have had a recent statement since the X-1 release reaffirming.
It will be interesting to see if the studios make more money from MS will they push Sony to do the same.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My partial expectation is that if it remains true we see a divide in games pricing between them - no resale is part of why PC games generally were $10-20 below console, sane expectation would be the same for a no resale console.

So in the end probably the same net profit based on market share each console has.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Oh and Netflix, I rather like using my 360 for it.
Why would you use your 360 rather than your PS3 for Netflix? Sony has an exclusive contract with Netflix for 1080p content, at least as far as consoles go (Roku boxes can do 1080p now as well, as can a handful of standalone blu-ray players). For people who consider Netflix an important part of any console as a 'media center' there's no sign of the exclusivity agreement expiring either. If I needed another reason to hate on the Xbone--which I don't, MS has already given me plenty--that would be a pretty huge one.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Not just that but the last time I tried to use the 360 Netflix interface it had been kinetc-tified. Things like not being able to go to a show list without resuming the previous watched episode and stupid shit like that. Fortunately my Samsung TV has a great netflix app and I don't bother with my 360 anymore except for games. Soon to be replaced with a PS4.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
I'm almost 100% sure the last response from Sony was "it's up to the publisher". And I have seen nothing at all from them after the Xbone reveal. I have a crappy feeling its going to come from both sides...

Soriak_sl

shitlord
The issue with moving things like AI computation to the cloud is that it imposes a cost to whoever is hosting the computation, and they're not going to bear that indefinitely. What happens if they decide to shut down the servers 2 years after the game releases? You're not going to play that game anymore. I'm playing Blue Dragon right now... I doubt I could do that with processing in the cloud.

Even without that, though, could servers really handle the kind of processing that cannot be done on a system with the power of the PS4 -- for millions of players simultaneously? I doubt it. I don't want to be stuck in a queue for a single player game.

As for console game prices coming down if you can't resell them: prices are sticky. Once consumers are used to paying a certain price, you don't lower it. They might avoid raising prices this way, but then Sony would have to move first. It wouldn't seem like a great idea to hike game prices $20 when people are deciding between the Xbone and the PS4. I doubt people are going to factor in properly their expected resale value.

Developers can use DLC to monetize the secondary market months after the game's release. Make it compelling enough and you can get your $10 (and more) from people who bought the game used. All without pissing off consumers -- heck, people tend to appreciate new content after the game's release. Goodwill, yay!

edit: I like Sony's "leave it to the publisher" stance... because who wants to be the one publisher to make the first move? Probably EA or some equally shitty company, and we'll see in the sales numbers whether that works out for them. Sim City has worked out so well for them -- and of course that game still gets pirated.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Even without that, though, could servers really handle the kind of processing that cannot be done on a system with the power of the PS4 -- for millions of players simultaneously? I doubt it. I don't want to be stuck in a queue for a single player game.
This. I think most people are under the impression that since a cluster is going to be processing data it will be equivalent to having your very own supercomputer. What most people don't realize is once you have thousands if not millions of players all on a cluster, computational power begins to degrade to a point that you would probably get better throughput from your phone.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
Ohh I don't disagree that it shouldn't be just done with the console. I was just wondering if it was even possible to leverage game performance in that way.

MS is doing some pretty crazy stuff on their business side with Azure and other services. I am interested in seeing how it plays out. New tech is neat.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Microsoft won't cater to 'traditional desktop PC gamers' with first-party strategy:http://www.shacknews.com/article/793...ers-with-first

Remember when Microsoft used to make games for PC? With their Xbox business thriving, the company has long shifted focus away from PC gamers. That attitude will continue in the Xbox One generation, it appears.

At its Xbox One reveal event, the company announced 15 exclusives coming to the console in its first year. When asked if PC gamers could possibly get access to some of that content, Matt Booty, general manager of Redmond Game Studios and Platforms told us that "the Windows 8 gamer is certainly going to participate in some of that content," but not in the way you might expect or want.

Speaking on Microsoft's strategy on Windows 8 gaming, Booty said that "we have got everything from very, very casual games, like our very much improved and reimagined Solitaire, all the way to graphically complicated games like The Harvest."

But I interrupted him, pointing out that people could argue that The Harvest is not AAA-tier like Gears of War. I asked if he felt that, from a first-party perspective, Microsoft's focus on Windows 8 is on the lower-end.

"We're talking about console games, but there could be some franchises that also end up with a PC game," Booty responded. "When I think about more connected experiences across those platforms, it's things that show up within that family of devices where we've got Xbox Live, like Windows Phone and Windows 8," and "not what you might consider a more traditional desktop PC game."

Fuya_sl

shitlord
It's a toss up on if Sony allows used game. I actually expect Sony to allow used games so that feature can be used as a marketing tool when going against the Xbox come years end. Most people that purchase consoles in the first few months tend to be core gamers and that prospect of being able to resell their game is a huge deciding factor. Sony will probably also take that feature away after some time just like they did with the Linux install on the PS3... along with a few other features.

What Sony has to decide is how long to wait before taking that feature away. Do it too soon and the players will feel betrayed. Wait too long and then Xbox could be known as the system with the lower prices and extra content leaving them playing catch up on a shrinking clientele. Sony could make the online deal so good that you would have to be desperate to buy the disc version. Make purchasing online be the normal.

Locking games, movies, tv shows, and songs to an account means you lock your customer to your ecosystem. It is the bread and butter of the Apple fortune. There is far less incentive to move to another ecosystem when you already have invested so much in the one you are in now. Playing catch up is the last thing either of these companies need to do. I can't help but feel like Microsoft knows this all too well and it wont be until E3 when I can reaffirm my suspicions. Pricing is what to keep an eye out for. That is the key to what each company has planned.

The people that are keeping their opinions open until E3 are the smart ones. Nothing I say are anyone else says makes a damn until the final word comes out at E3. Once E3 is over I can give my opinion on which console I feel is going to dominate this generation.

Cor_sl

shitlord
"One example of that might be lighting," he continued. "Let's say you're looking at a forest scene and you need to calculate the light coming through the trees, or you're going through a battlefield and have very dense volumetric fog that's hugging the terrain. Those things often involve some complicated up-front calculations when you enter that world, but they don't necessarily have to be updated every frame. Those are perfect candidates for the console to offload that to the cloud-the cloud can do the heavy lifting, because you've got the ability to throw multiple devices at the problem in the cloud."

Booty added that things like physics modeling, fluid dynamics, and cloth motion were all prime examples of effects that require a lot of up-front computation that could be handled in the cloud without adding any lag to the actual gameplay. And the server resources Microsoft is putting toward these calculations will be much greater than a local Xbox One could handle on its own. "A rule of thumb we like to use is that [for] every Xbox One available in your living room we'll have three of those devices in the cloud available," he said.

While cloud computation data doesn't have to be updated and synced with every frame of game data, developers are still going to have to manage the timing and flow of this cloud computing to avoid noticeable changes in graphic quality, Booty said. "Without getting too into the weeds, think about a lighting technique like ambient occlusion that gives you all the cracks and crevices and shadows that happen not just from direct light. There are a number of calculations that have to be done up front, and as the camera moves the effect will change. So when you walk into a room, it might be that for the first second or two the fidelity of the lighting is done by the console, but then, as the cloud catches up with that, the data comes back down to the console and you have incredibly realistic lighting."
More here -http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...oud-computing/

I do wonder how difficult it will be for devs to implement this stuff. Still, it does sound quite interesting.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's a toss up on if Sony allows used game. I actually expect Sony to allow used games so that feature can be used as a marketing tool when going against the Xbox come years end. Most people that purchase consoles in the first few months tend to be core gamers and that prospect of being able to resell their game is a huge deciding factor. Sony will probably also take that feature away after some time just like they did with the Linux install on the PS3... along with a few other features.

What Sony has to decide is how long to wait before taking that feature away. Do it too soon and the players will feel betrayed. Wait too long and then Xbox could be known as the system with the lower prices and extra content leaving them playing catch up on a shrinking clientele. Sony could make the online deal so good that you would have to be desperate to buy the disc version. Make purchasing online be the normal.

Locking games, movies, tv shows, and songs to an account means you lock your customer to your ecosystem. It is the bread and butter of the Apple fortune. There is far less incentive to move to another ecosystem when you already have invested so much in the one you are in now. Playing catch up is the last thing either of these companies need to do. I can't help but feel like Microsoft knows this all too well and it wont be until E3 when I can reaffirm my suspicions. Pricing is what to keep an eye out for. That is the key to what each company has planned.

The people that are keeping their opinions open until E3 are the smart ones. Nothing I say are anyone else says makes a damn until the final word comes out at E3. Once E3 is over I can give my opinion on which console I feel is going to dominate this generation.
Sony has already said it allows used games, not sure what is so up in the air about that. If the publisher allows used games is another question, but it is the right strategy to take, make the publisher be the bad guy.

Also, with MS killing off arcade, aren't all those 360 purchases useless now? Not a great move when going Sony's route of using the cloud for backwards comparability would have let them keep their hooks in people.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
And in 5 years, when they remove your game from the cloud to make room for the new shiny, you and your old ass game can fuck right off.

No thanks.

Edit: in reference to Cor's post and xbox cloud.

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Also, with MS killing off arcade
You mean the backward compatibility of existing arcade titles or something more that I missed? Either way, this pisses me off. If they're taking the route of trying to resell me games I already bought on Live there's no way I'm buying another one of their systems.

Forbin_sl

shitlord
Found some new info on the Xbone's used game sales system

A gamer walks into a retailer and hands over the game they wish to sell. This will only be possible at retailers who have agreed to Microsoft's T&Cs and more importantly integrated Microsoft's cloud-based Azure pre-owned system into its own.

The game is then registered as having been traded-in on Microsoft's system. The consumer who handed it over will subsequently see the game wiped from their account - hence the until now ambiguous claim from Phil Harrison that the Xbox One would have to 'check in' to Microsoft's servers every 24 hours.

The retailer can then sell the pre-owned game at whatever price they like, although as part of the system the publisher of the title in question will automatically receive a percentage cut of the sale. As will Microsoft. The retailer will pocket the rest.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/publi...retail/0116137

Cor_sl

shitlord
And in 5 years, when they remove your game from the cloud to make room for the new shiny, you and your old ass game can fuck right off.

No thanks.

Edit: in reference to Cor's post and xbox cloud.
Indeed. It sounds good when Microsoft talks about it, but there's too many questions that need answering.

Found some new info on the Xbone's used game sales system

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/publi...retail/0116137
So eBay, Amazon, private forums, trading, etc. wouldn't be allowed? Yeah, fuck that.

Szlia

We need a complete picture of this process since it's obviously more subtle and complex than initially thought. A mechanism to ensure publishers get a cut of used game sales is certainly something that I can agree on, but if it means I can't lend and borrow nor sell directly to another gamer, it's a problem.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
UPDATE: Many readers are asking whether the ?35 will be additional cost on top of the price of buying the game. No, we believe that the ?35 figure ? which is not our number, incidentally ? would cover the entire transaction. If correct this would leave retail with a cut per sale of around ?3.50.
Game stops will never have more than one employee in store unless late night release ever again. They'd also reduce the number of stores to likely 2/3 with small towns losing them all together.