The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
NeoGAF - View Single Post - RUMOUR: Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is 720p, PS4 version is 1080p?

Asinine spelling aside that is the guy who posted everything MS fucked up with the DRM before E3 so take it as fact at this point
I know I know CBOAT is pretty reliable but COD fans are a good easy chunk of MS's playerbase and even they would jump ship over 720p ->1080p. 1080p is the "in" thing right now even if their mom's haven't bought them TV's to support it.

Juvarisx

Florida
Considering its effecting Titanfall as well, its a BIG console issue which obviously cannot be fixed in time for release. Really how old a TV do you have if it doesn't support 1080, hell the first tv's that supported it came out in 2005.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Did anyone check out the COD PS4 video on ign? It looked pretty bad as if it was upscaled 720p video. Kinda disappointing.

Sean_sl

shitlord
MS needs to stomp on this rumor before it goes viral. I don't think the xbone hardware is really as inferior as all that? To really not be able to support 1080p natively in COD?
If they had a lot moretimeto work with optimizing the engine itcouldhit 1080p. The problem is that the Xbone takes alotmore work to optimize for. Getting 1080p going on the Xbone is just a lot more effort when they have to work everything through the ESRAM + the much weaker GPU. The GPU on the PS4 isn't just 50% faster in "Raw power", it'stwiceas powerful in other places such as how many ROPS it's packing - 32 Vs. 16. That can effect resolution quite a bit. Pile all of that stuff on top of it being harder to code for due to the incomplete devkit and having much weaker APIs and you end up with scenarios like this.

Considering that it's a game releasing on 6 platforms and that it's going to be one of the lowest selling SKUs of those 6 it's probably not something that they've devoted their full resources into for making it as good as it "could" be.

We'll probably see some 1080p Xbone games down the road in the coming years, but due to the limitations of the system it's more likely that most people will aim for 900p for easier development, especially with multiplatform games.

Did anyone check out the COD PS4 video on ign? It looked pretty bad as if it was upscaled 720p video. Kinda disappointing.
Hard to tell if it's the in-game engine, shitty video, or just IGN's extremely shitty player. Possibly all 3.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Stealing more from GAF: Obama: PS4 will sell out after Thanksgiving, health insuranse is not.

PS4, white house speech writer approved.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I am actually starting to get pretty excited about my PS4 arriving. Bought a new TV yesterday to game on.

The launch titles are lacking but it will still be fun since I have a group of friends where I work all getting one on launch day. I think most of us are getting Black Flag. I want to convince them to all buy a shooter to play. COD would be the safe bet but I would rather play Battlefield.

Cor_sl

shitlord
I know I know CBOAT is pretty reliable but COD fans are a good easy chunk of MS's playerbase and even they would jump ship over 720p ->1080p. 1080p is the "in" thing right now even if their mom's haven't bought them TV's to support it.
I don't think anyone, apart from the hardcore, will care or notice.

Microsoft will say that COD is being 'upscaled to 1080p' and people will eat it up.

Considering its effecting Titanfall as well, its a BIG console issue which obviously cannot be fixed in time for release. Really how old a TV do you have if it doesn't support 1080, hell the first tv's that supported it came out in 2005.
I have a 50" 720p Panasonic Plasma and a 50" 720p Pioneer Kuro. These TVs, despite being years old, still look better than modern LCD TVs with higher resolution panels. A friend of mine has Sony's new 4k TV and, sadly, it produces an inferior picture to my aging 720p plasmas, despite the significantly higher resolution.

Still, I want games to be running at as high a resolution as possible as downsampling can help eliminate/reduce aliasing.

Juvarisx

Florida

Microsoft will say that COD is being 'upscaled to 1080p' and people will eat it up.

I have a 50" 720p Panasonic Plasma and a 50" 720p Pioneer Kuro. These TVs, despite being years old, still look better than modern LCD TVs with higher resolution panels. A friend of mine has Sony's new 4k TV and, sadly, it produces an inferior picture to my aging 720p plasmas, despite the significantly higher resolution.

Still, I want games to be running at as high a resolution as possible as downsampling can help eliminate/reduce aliasing.
Might want to pick up a Panasonic Plasma this year, its the last year they are making them and the 2013 line is stellar.

Fuya_sl

shitlord
You are correct on this. Mark Rubin a week ago stated himself that most of CoD players are not hardcore or even considered gamers in general.

Infinity Ward: Call Of Duty Players 'Aren't Even Gamers'

Basically he is saying a good portion of CoD players only play that game and really don't care for anything else. The resolution doesn't matter to them as long as they are able to play the latest iteration of the game. Only hardcores and console warriors will care what the resolution is. It's convincing these people they need 1080p when 720p, with or without upscale, has worked perfectly fine for all these years. In fact, isn't CoD on the on 360/PS3 at 600p right now? If so even at 720p it's an improvement to what they are used to.

I agree with Seans analysis on how the sales will look for CoD when it's released.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
You are correct on this. Mark Rubin a week ago stated himself that most of CoD players are not hardcore or even considered gamers in general.

Infinity Ward: Call Of Duty Players 'Aren't Even Gamers'

Basically he is saying a good portion of CoD players only play that game and really don't care for anything else. The resolution doesn't matter to them as long as they are able to play the latest iteration of the game. Only hardcores and console warriors will care what the resolution is. It's convincing these people they need 1080p when 720p, with or without upscale, has worked perfectly fine for all these years. In fact, isn't CoD on the on 360/PS3 at 600p right now? If so even at 720p it's an improvement to what they are used to.

I agree with Seans analysis on how the sales will look for CoD when it's released.
It's also unfortunate if true. But even average gamers or "Call of Duty" gamers, will get pissed off if their system isn't used to a higher caliber of development. Activision is obviously just doing as little as they can for the cash cow at this point.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Oh Microsoft, you never cease to amaze me with your ridiculous spinster skills.

Microsoft says Ghosts looks Modern Warfare 3

"So it isn't running at 1080p and most likely running at 720p because your console sucks?"

"IT LOOKS GREAT!"

God did MS drop the ball. 720p looks like ass on anything larger than a 40" screen.

Grats PS4. You have officially won.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Ugh, you should feel bad for even providing a link to that idiot. There's so much stupidity in that guy's post and he should be punched in the face.

And man, Infinity Ward saying that their own customers "aren't even gamers" is some insulting as hell shit. Of course they are fucking gamers. They play video games and rabidly. If that's not a gamer then what the fuck is? Only playing one type of game doesn't mean you're not a gamer. It doesn't matter what you play, if you play something youareone.

Xevy

Log Wizard
So..you're saying that all the people you and others on this PS4ggoty thread refer to as "CoDbros" should be as mutually respected as people who play any other FPS?

I'mmma gonna let yousa mull that over.

Sean_sl

shitlord
So..you're saying that all the people you and others on this PS4ggoty thread refer to as "CoDbros" should be as mutually respected as people who play any other FPS?

I'mmma gonna let yousa mull that over.
I'venever oncereferred to them as "CoDbros", but yes? Why shouldn't they be? You're not better than someone if only play Quake or Doom. Halo, CoD, Battlefield, Gears, Killzone, etc. It's all the same shit. They're all video games.

I've laughed atDude Brosa couple times in the past (and never in this thread), but never said that they aren't gamers. You're a nerd, they're a nerd. You're not superior because you nerd out over something that isn't as popular. Doing that just makes you an obnoxious hipster.