The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Wow, November's PS+ offerings are fantastic. I was very close to buying Soul Sacrifice in October to take advantage of the $10 for $50 spent deal and ended up not in the 11th hour. Really kind of worked out for me this way. It's crazy, my Vita game collection is massive now and the only game I've really spent money on (outside of the PS+ sub) was P4G. If you've been a PS+ member for awhile, the free game library alone over the course of the last year and half has made the cost of the Vita worth it in spades.

I've always wanted to play Dragon's Dogma as well. Heard amazing things about it.
Same. Persona is the only game I've paid for on Vita and I have a huge backlog of games right now thanks to PS+. Seeing the free games on Xbox Gold is laughable in comparison.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You absolutely can, but you're going to pay a premium for a lot of space. $300+ just to get a SSD the same size as the stock PS4 Hard Drive
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE500BW 2.5

750GB will run you about $500, 1TB will run around $600
Yeah if games being 35-50GB a pop becomes a norm it just isn't economical to have only a SSD. If you could have a HDD and a second SSD (like most PC gamer enthusiasts do) then it makes more sense because it's trivial to get a 128GB SSD and just have your current games on it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The SSD is only going to hypothetically decrease load times. I'd be more worried with what the OS might try to do to a hard disk in the background that you won't know about - things like defragging and other stuff. Not to mention a lot of features you won't be able to use or configure, it just isn't economical in any sense.

And while I don't think a 7200RPM hard drive will cause such a significantly more amount of heat than a 5400RPM drive, you are going outside of the design requirements of the PS4 - unless it is specifically handled as a corner case somewhere that says "7200 RPMs pass all thermal testing" or something similar. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely think 99.99% of the time it will b a non-issue, but unless you know how they designed it you'll never know. You'll most likely see a 3-5F degree difference, which shouldn't kill anything, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I'm a bit late to the party but Column you go a PC right now for $1000 I'll buy the next gen console for $599AUS. Let's compare my consoles graphics and games to your piece of shit 7 year old computer that can barely run now. Your argument is completely invalid because you are comparing a PC that you will upgrade once every 2 years to a console that will have a life-cycle of 10 years.
What?? I've been using a GeForce 560ti for going on 3 years now and it has run every game at 1920x1080 at max settings. This isn't the early 2000s where PC users had to upgrade their cards every year. Using my current hard drives, tower, and monitors I can easily build a much better PC for $1000 that would beat out the PS4 and Xbox1.

Obviously some game graphics are about to take a jump since most developers have been catering to the Xbox/PS3 and the PC versions couldn't have better visuals unlocked without modding (Dark Souls, Skyrim, etc) - but PCs have been able to do what the PS4/Xbox1 are able to do for atleast 2 years now.

I'll still be buying a PS4 for the exclusives (Final Fantasy, Tales of..., etc) but I see no reason otherwise with it's current non-exclusive launch lineup.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The PS3 had a fairly terrible i/o system that, along with the lack of TRIM, made a SSD much less of an upgrade than it should have been. No word yet if PS4 supports TRIM. All new SSDs have their own garbage collection built in, but none of them do it nearly as well as having TRIM supported in the OS.

Personally, I would want to see some benchmarks of the 3rd generation Seagate SSHD in a PS4 before I bought a replacement drive, if I was buying a PS4 this year. Fortunately I'm not, so when I do buy one in a year I'll just use the stock HD until 0.5-1TB SSDs are reasonable. Prices are dropping fast enough that it won't be more than a couple years.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
The SSD is only going to hypothetically decrease load times. I'd be more worried with what the OS might try to do to a hard disk in the background that you won't know about - things like defragging and other stuff.
If the PS4 is running BSD then they most likely are using EXT4 or EXT3 file system in where you shouldn't ever run into fragmentatin problems unless you fill up the entire drive.

Xevy

Log Wizard
PS4ggots gon' get that better hardware console to play the games they're gonna play on console! Why? BECAUSE BETTER HARDWARE, MAN!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
PS4ggots gon' get that better hardware console to play the games they're gonna play on console! Why? BECAUSE BETTER HARDWARE, MAN!
81cPRCI.jpg

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
What?? I've been using a GeForce 560ti for going on 3 years now and it has run every game at 1920x1080 at max settings. This isn't the early 2000s where PC users had to upgrade their cards every year. Using my current hard drives, tower, and monitors I can easily build a much better PC for $1000 that would beat out the PS4 and Xbox1.

Obviously some game graphics are about to take a jump since most developers have been catering to the Xbox/PS3 and the PC versions couldn't have better visuals unlocked without modding (Dark Souls, Skyrim, etc) - but PCs have been able to do what the PS4/Xbox1 are able to do for atleast 2 years now.

I'll still be buying a PS4 for the exclusives (Final Fantasy, Tales of..., etc) but I see no reason otherwise with it's current non-exclusive launch lineup.
This argument about how PC hardware is better than this consoles generation is getting old and sorta funny. The PC developers will still cater to the lowest denominator in order to run their game, that system you have been running for 3 years will still be the norm in another 2 years.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
This argument about how PC hardware is better than this consoles generation is getting old and sorta funny. The PC developers will still cater to the lowest denominator in order to run their game, that system you have been running for 3 years will still be the norm in another 2 years.
Totally agree, which is why no one will need to buy new gfx cards every 2 years for their PC like the guy I was replying to stated.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
What SSd's have people used on there PS3's?
Being that the PS3 is capped at SATA1, *any* SSD will cap out your data transfer rate. The biggest thing is that you're going to have a nearly 0 second seeking rate for the files you need. That's where an SSD helps out on a PS3. I picked up an old (used) 160 gig Intel SSD. It's only SATA1 also (cost me $75), but it's vastly superior to the factory HDD.