The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
usb3 (blue) is extremely fast, pretty much the same speed as an internal 7200rpm. On average reads are going to be around 220 MB/s for internal SSD, 100-150MB/s for usb3/7200, and 30-40MB/s for usb2.0. I use a 2tb USB3 drive for my boxee and I regularly copy 20-50g of movies within 1-3 mins, compared to 15m+ minutes on my old USB2.0 drive.
I guess I wasn't thinking but is PS4 using USB3.0?

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
usb3 (blue) is extremely fast, pretty much the same speed as an internal 7200rpm. On average reads are going to be around 220 MB/s for internal SSD, 100-150MB/s for usb3/7200, and 30-40MB/s for usb2.0. I use a 2tb USB3 drive for my boxee and I regularly copy 20-50g of movies within 1-3 mins, compared to 15m+ minutes on my old USB2.0 drive.
IIRC USB 3 speeds are pretty dependent on the motherboard and chip combo. If everything is good then you can get comparable data transfer rates but the latency will be higher for a USB connection:

"Low latency usb is still much higher latancy than sata is. And like the previous guy said, it has to do with handshaking. There is only one data path in usb, and the host controls that path, it has to poll the usb devices and ask for the data. If the data isn't ready, it has to continue to ask till it gets a reply. At some point though, it needs to stop asking, to check other devices, like your keyboard and mouse, to see if they have anything to do.

SATA on the other hand, can only be connected to a single end point, and has two data paths, so the drive can send data when ever it's ready, without waiting."

[technically you can have USB without handshaking but nobody does that AFAIK for storage since you can lose data]

Why is latency so much higher on USB than SATA? - [H]ard|Forum

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, but it doesn't really matter since it doesn't support external HDDs. I'm not sure what all you'll be able to use the USB ports for. Transferring Vita Data and Patches I guess?
That and accessories like Rocksmith, etc. I think the camera uses a proprietary port.

Sean_sl

shitlord
That and accessories like Rocksmith, etc. I think the camera uses a proprietary port.
Yeah, plugging stuff in obviously. The camera does use its own port. I meant more like Data wise. Surprised they bothered with USB 3.0 since they're not really using it. Guess it's either so cheap now that it doesn't matter or that's just what the AMD (I assume) boards they use come with as a default.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, but it doesn't really matter since it doesn't support external HDDs. I'm not sure what all you'll be able to use the USB ports for. Transferring Vita Data and Patches I guess?
If only they would allow us to use a mouse and keyboard.... one can only dream...

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Not going to open my case just for you to get your jollies off.

rrr_img_48292.jpg

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
How hot does the room get? And are you playing wow?
I live in miami so it can get warm in summer, i have a laptop and another PC but its on the right side under the TV. However i generally keep house around 75 or so and ceiling fan going so as long as i dont close room door and have everything on it doesnt get too warm.

@ Sean yeah i cant even fathom using a different keyboard - Monitor bar lines were annoying as all fuck at first but ive adjusted(to not raging constantly). I would modify it myself but id rather pay someone who knew how to do it for me, and since i dont know anyone it will remain like this for the time being.