The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
I'm not entirely sure. I've seen it talked about a bunch, but I've never dealt with it personally.

With the PS3 DLC is occasionally region locked and you need DLC that's from the same region as the game. There's also ways to use DLC from different regions sometimes:How to Get DLC From Different Regions on the PS3 | eHowBasically you need an account from whatever region and you buy or get it for free and download the DLC onto your system and then just log back into your main account and you can play it.

X360 basically works the same way.

I have no idea if that'll work for the PS4 and Xbone or not. Also, that does not work for the Vita at all and it is 100% region locked for DLC.
Yeah, I had a US 360 account for early rockband dlc when it was delayed here a year but now can't access due to MS invoking TOS clause about fake accounts, was hoping that there had been some comments about not needing to do that this generation :/

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
PSN and PS3 and 4 are region free. Its Nintendo that rapes you on regional shit isn't it?

The issue with getting content on PSN from other regions was because sometimes something like a old PS1 title will only release on Japanese PSN, so you can log into a Jap account and download that shit here or whatever.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought that was how it worked. Playstation is just flat out region free.

PS4 confirmed to be region free, but PSN must be paid for | GamesIndustry International

Sean_sl

shitlord
PSN and PS3 and 4 are region free. Its Nintendo that rapes you on regional shit isn't it?

The issue with getting content on PSN from other regions was because sometimes something like a old PS1 title will only release on Japanese PSN, so you can log into a Jap account and download that shit here or whatever.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought that was how it worked. Playstation is just flat out region free.

PS4 confirmed to be region free, but PSN must be paid for | GamesIndustry International
The consoles are region free, but you can't buy stuff from the UK store with a US account. You need to use a UK account and then log back into your US account.

Also, developers can region lock games if they choose to. This only happened once on the PS3 though. DLC can also be region locked if a developer wants it to be:Grand Theft Auto V DLC to be Region-Locked - IGN

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord

Yeah the games are region free but I know that for at least some games, if you use an online pass or dlc code from one region the game gets locked to that region and you can't have dlc from your home region work on it. It's really the biggest issue with importing games over here. Not really worried about geting some random indie game that's on a specific network, just DLC that is on both. I want to stick with only one PSN account if I can (and thus one payment source to worry about) if I consider importing, otherwise I'll just pay rape-my-ass prices over here like always

[EDIT]
What Sean said

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Cool, wasn't aware. That's kinda crazy. Should just allow someone to download DLC for a game no matter the region.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Cool, wasn't aware. That's kinda crazy. Should just allow someone to download DLC for a game no matter the region.
Agreed. Just one universal store would be better really. Sadly, licensing often makes it so a lot of Japanese DLC with themed stuff like costumes of characters from other games or anime and the like never makes it to the US.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
actually if you are pretty sure you aren't going to play there are good reasons to wait. The hardware for both is fairly generic in CPU/GPU, so as time goes on the manufacturing process will improve and quality get better, heat output will lessen, wifi antennas may improve, and a million other small tweaks. At some point, probably not in the first 2 years, you may even see upgrades in speed or hard drive size. There will be bundle packages and retailer deals that reduce the overall cost a lot down the road.

Really only the reasons to get a system now are (1) there's something new you want to play (2) multiplayer games your friends are going to be playing, (3) as a backup gaming system if you are primarily a PC gamer (4) to be the living room entertainment hub (but ps3 and xbone are better for media). The good news is that barring any quantum leap in CPU/GPU technology, future Playstations and xbox's should always be backwards compatible, hopefully this is the last generation where we have to throw away our old games.
None of that will happen by early to mid next year.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
PS Blog inFAMOUS: Second Son hands-on (new screenshots) - NeoGAF

Screenshots in the link, game looks great. I can't wait for February.

And I am super excited to see a big game set in Seattle. Fuck New York, LA, and all those other shitty cities that have been done to death.
Now those are next gen graphics. Looks amazing.
infamous-second-son_2b0owi.jpg

infamous-second-son_2fvp09.jpg

infamous-second-son_2kzosa.jpg

Sean_sl

shitlord
Need for Speed Rivals or Knack? I can't decide.

I want to play Knack and I'm not really big into racing games, but Knack will probably be PS+'d at some point and variety is nice.

Laedrun

Molten Core Raider
Now those are next gen graphics. Looks amazing.
Yeah, those shots look good, seems to be solid anti-aliasing going on. Hopefully my disappointment in what i've seen is due to sony just picking the worst possible games to show off on the system kiosks. Maybe killzone or infamous can re-engorge my erection for the next gen. >;p

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Those infamous shots are the first next generation game that has looked impressive to me.

Sean_sl

shitlord
NSF rivals probably has more replay value.
Well, unfortunately it looks like it's out of stock. It says available for pre-order, but when you go to check out it says "Temporarily out of stock, email, yada yada".

Also, the code that I got yesterday after spending an hour with CS that was supposed to work when my AC4 order shipped does not work. So, I had to contact CS again.

They ended up giving me a $60 credit, so I don't actually have to buy a game to get one free.

Laedrun

Molten Core Raider
Need for Speed Rivals or Knack? I can't decide.

I want to play Knack and I'm not really big into racing games, but Knack will probably be PS+'d at some point and variety is nice.
NFS hands down, knack was fucking lame. Go play the fucker at a kiosk if ya don't believe me. I loved crash bandicoot back in the day, dunno what Cerny was thinking ,not anywhere near the same league. Maybe it's just aimed at 5 year olds or the cell phone crowd. /shrug

Sean_sl

shitlord
NFS hands down, knack was fucking lame. Go play the fucker at a kiosk if ya don't believe me. I loved crash bandicoot back in the day, dunno what Cerny was thinking ,not anywhere near the same league. Maybe it's just aimed at 5 year olds or the cell phone crowd. /shrug
Did you play on Easy or Hard? The game changes a bit on Hard. I'd love to order NFS, but people are saying that they're getting December estimates for their shipping on it.

Laedrun

Molten Core Raider
Did you play on Easy or Hard? The game changes a bit on Hard. I'd love to order NFS, but people are saying that they're getting December estimates for their shipping on it.
I played on normal. It's hard to explain why it wasn't fun. Lack of urgency? It was slow paced walking around and punching shit. Lacked the fast paced zany feel of crash bandicoot or the puzzley wonderland feel of mario or the white knuckle puzzle solving perfectionism that made castlevania games so fun. It was just fucking boring and bland.