The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Does anyone have any insights on pre launch demand? I'm thinking the ps4 will be the must have gift this Christmas. My plan is to buy as many as I can and then flip them on eBay/craigslist. Thanks!
It's tough to say. I think the ps4 will be the gift to have but Sony is really pushing a ton of units compared to previous generations and there's just too few PS4 exclusives coming before Christmas.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I cancelled my other orders because I'm thinking demand will be high but supply will also be very high. I'm not seeing the profits of last gen.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Does anyone have any insights on pre launch demand? I'm thinking the ps4 will be the must have gift this Christmas. My plan is to buy as many as I can and then flip them on eBay/craigslist. Thanks!
How many pre-orders do you have secured so far?

Cor_sl

shitlord
The prettiest graphics in the world don't mean shit if the gameplay is awful and well:Ryse: Son Of Rome Is As Fun As Dialing Phone Numbers.

Killzone SF is also way prettier.
Why are you shifting the goal posts? I said nothing about gameplay. I said the graphics look fantastic, and they do. It's the first next gen console game to legitimately impress me. I don't think many people will be complaining if future Xbox One games looks that good.

A few hours ago, I would have agreed that Killzone:SF is the better looking game (even though I'm not impressed by Killzone:SF at all). The high bitrate Ryse footage changed my mind. Ryse is a gorgeous game.

Sean_sl

shitlord
PS4 Launch list updated, 22 titles atm:http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...-4-launch.aspx

First-Party Titles:

Flower
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Knack
Resogun
Sound Shapes

Third-Party Titles:

Angry Birds Star Wars - Activision
Assassin's Creed IV: Blag Flag - Ubisoft
Battlefield 4 - Electronic Arts
Call of Duty: Ghosts - Activision
DC Universe Online - Sony Online Entertainment
FIFA 14 - EA Sports
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition - Warner Bros. Interactive
Just Dance 2014 - Ubisoft
Lego Marvel Super Heroes - Warner Bros. Interactive
Madden NFL 25 - EA
NBA 2K14 - 2K Sports
Need for Speed: Rivals - EA
Skylanders: Swap Force - Activision

Indie Titles:

Contrast - Compulsion Games
Super Motherload - XGen Studios
Trine 2: The Complete Story - Frozenbyte
Warframe - Digital Extremes
A new addition to the list is Trine 2: The Complete Story, will probably pick that up since I never played Trine 2.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I already have two friends bidding on my pre order. Highest bid is 650 so far but I have a feeling if I hold out for the physical box I can gouge em for 700+. These aren't the brightest "in the know" types though who are convinced it will be months till more come in. With the numbers Sony is projecting I am a bit more optimistic.

Knowing how I am though I know if I have a shiny new toy in my possesion I won't be able to resist keeping it. Decisions decisions.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I hate people that pre-order to resell. I mean, I get it. I just hate it. I got mine so I don't really care, and even if I were to cancel I'd probably sell it to a family member at what I paid for it. Maybe they could throw in some beers.

I think Xbone will do just fine. Xbox360 secured a lot of kids that will most likely go back to the boner. I mean, I'm thinking back to when I was a kid. Originally we just had a Sega Genesis. We later got Super Nintendo when Zelda came out. Literally a single game sold my dad on it. Then we just spent the years buying games back and forth. We noticed the graphics were a little different, and Genesis Mortal Kombat had blood, but to be honest we didn't really care. They were close enough that it didn't matter. Kids are like that. Do you think some 13-year old is going to care about 720p vs 1080p? Most likely not, and if all his friends were already xbros that's probably what they'll ask for.

MS did a pretty solid job turning their PR department around trying to triage the wounds they opened up when they announced it.

I guess my point is the average consumer doesn't give a shit. If it plays COD and netflix then it's good enough. I think most hardcore gamers will go with the PS4 and the rest of the world will go with whatever system has their favorite game. My sister's boyfriend reserved an xboner without even reading specs, launch titles, literally nothing about it. There are people out there who just don't care.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's possible I had the channels reversed...I just remember a definite difference between the various HD feeds. Some games looked great, another networks looked like ass in comparison. They most definitely did not all look the same.
It's also possible that Veil doesn't know the difference between 1080i and 1080p.
biggrin.png

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think Xbone will do just fine. Xbox360 secured a lot of kids that will most likely go back to the boner. I mean, I'm thinking back to when I was a kid. Originally we just had a Sega Genesis. We later got Super Nintendo when Zelda came out. Literally a single game sold my dad on it. Then we just spent the years buying games back and forth. We noticed the graphics were a little different, and Genesis Mortal Kombat had blood, but to be honest we didn't really care. They were close enough that it didn't matter. Kids are like that. Do you think some 13-year old is going to care about 720p vs 1080p? Most likely not, and if all his friends were already xbros that's probably what they'll ask for.
Thats exactly what im saying and I totally agree with you. That, and the invested time to rack up their gamer scores with MS, it will not be so easy to just switch. Most kids, like mine, basically grew up in the xbox 360 generation. Thery have hundreds of gamer bros they play with and they know fuck all about Playstation.

But like I said, the number one mistake that MS did is forcing the stupid Kinect on everyone for the extra $100. If they omitted that POS, which nobody wants anyway, the race would be a lot closer. But as it stands, $400 sounds way more appealing than $500.

Sean_sl

shitlord
And the PS2 sold 150 million units, almost twice of the X360. Brand loyalty meant absolutely dick this generation. Loyalty to the X360 brand will also mean dick in the coming generation.

Keeping friends lists means shit. Those are super easy to replace. The amount of people who actually care about gamer score are also in an incredibly small minority.

None of that is going to matter in the face of $400 Vs. $500 and a much, much larger initial supply and thus a much larger initial user base, which will just snowball everything.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I agree that Xbone will do fine. I was at my friend's house last weekend and his brother in law was talking about games and I mentioned that I was picking up a PS4 next week. He replied that he was getting an Xbone because he is "an Xbox guy and PlayStation has more cartoony graphics". I just nodded and was like "Oh yeah?".

Lenas

Trump's Staff
[Re: Emulation] A decade, at the earliest.
What? Why do you think it would take so long? The hardest parts of emulation is figuring out how to re-program code made for dedicated chips like the PS2 emotion engine or whatever. With a unified codebase I would think emulation would be easier than ever; so long as you had the hardware.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
If true that's to stupid to remain like that so I'm going to ignore it on the basis that MS couldn't be dumb enough to actually roll out cloud updates like that
Well windows updates are set by default to automatic aren't they? I know that late night resets have happened while playing mmos. 3am or something, if there was an update, it would just auto close everything and install the updates. Windows allows you to turn that off, but maybe the Xbox can't?

an accordion_sl

shitlord
I agree that Xbone will do fine. I was at my friend's house last weekend and his brother in law was talking about games and I mentioned that I was picking up a PS4 next week. He replied that he was getting an Xbone because he is "an Xbox guy and PlayStation has more cartoony graphics". I just nodded and was like "Oh yeah?".
Yep, my cousins reasoning for getting xbone was gamerscore carrying over.