The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
Fixed: "Welcome to Gamestop.. have you seen the PlayStation 4?"

Gamestops have been clearly in the Sony camp since E3 and they're getting many times more PS4 units. Every anecdotal post about Gamestop has been them pushing the Sony side of things.
I'm in the PS4 camp, and while Sean's grand standing for the PS4 can get a little old. I definitely think it's na?ve to think that GameStop workers (generally pretty avid gamers), aren't going to push the system they all know is more powerful.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Shit, it really is going to be like Jingle All the Way this christmas..... no one wants fucking Booster(xboner)!

Sean_sl

shitlord
According to my local gamestop (where I barely go, however I wanted a cheap copy of MH3U) In the middle of the rich area of town. They are getting 80 ps4s for preorders, 35 xbones. They say other stores are getting closer to 100/30 ratio (there are 9 or 10 gamestops within 20 miles of me just north of Indianapolis). So I assume the disparity is a lot larger in other bigger cities.
Yeah, this and other accounts close to it have been repeated ad nauseam around the net. I wasn't kidding about Microsoft having major manufacturing issues and that it would play a huge part in the initial install base.

And this is just in the US, it's far worse over in Euroville.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I'm definitely interested in Sony's "Oculus killer", especially if it can be used with PC.
Yeah, especially since Sony is pretty synonymous with high quality displays. Hopefully they can match or beat the Occulus in quality. The more truly good VR sets out there, the better. That shit is way more interesting than anything else on the horizon and the more developers get involved with that kind of tech the better.

Also, wtb me some motherfucking Log Horizon.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I'm sorry, but anyone who follows a pack mentality like that is a fucking retard and should feel bad for being a retard. If your friends are buying an inferior, more expensive product any sane person would educate their friends on why that is a bad decision and get them to go with the better buy instead of caving into nonsense.

Don't just get what your friends are getting, get your friends to get what *you* are getting if you're getting the better shit.
Oh its the pack mentality for wanting to play with friends rather than basement dweller lifestyle? Currently nothing on ps4 worth even considering outside of KZ for "me". If i was as concerned as you were about the density of the pixels on my console id just focus on my pc. Consoles are where i go for rpgs and game with peeps, and PC for the visuals. You stress way too hard over this console shit id swear you could be one of those rabid posters on ign forums.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm definitely interested in Sony's "Oculus killer", especially if it can be used with PC.
I haven't seen their Oculus killer, but all their HMDs thus far have been very expensive and have had narrow FoVs (Because it's intended to replace a cinema rather than offer a virtual reality experience).

Cor_sl

shitlord
Microsoft is generating $2 billion per year in revenue from Android patent royalties, says Nomura analyst Rick Sherlund in a new note on the company.

For the past few years, Microsoft reported the revenue and operating losses of Entertainment and Devices, which was the group that housed Xbox, Windows Phone, and those Android royalty payments

Sherlund says that if you back out the Android profits, Microsoft is probably losing $2.5 billion on Skype, Xbox, and Windows Phone.Of that, $2 billion in losses are attributable to the Xbox platform.

Sherlund believes Microsoft needs to spin out Xbox. He sees it as an orphan group at Microsoft that doesn't really fit with anything it's doing.

Investors are blind to Xbox's struggles, says Sherlund, because they are "concealed by the hugely profitable Android royalties."
Microsoft Earns $2 Billion Per Year From Android Patent Royalties - Business Insider

Wow.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Wait,what? That doesn't even make any sense. Are they counting the Xbone's R&D? I wonder how long it took them to recoup the billions they lost on RROD.

Well, I guess it's no wonder that Paul Allen and some of the other want that shit gone if it's been losing money this badly and they haven't made shit.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I haven't seen their Oculus killer, but all their HMDs thus far have been very expensive and have had narrow FoVs (Because it's intended to replace a cinema rather than offer a virtual reality experience).
I'm pretty sure the one they will make for PS4 will mimic the Oculus, seeing as the Oculus is getting so much press based on its immersion. If not, I'll just buy an Occulus!

Cor_sl

shitlord
The rrod "only" cost Microsoft $1 billion. I have no idea where they're losing the rest of that money. $2 billion a year is insane.

There's a little more here --

So what's the plan for Mulally when he takes over Microsoft? In Sherlund's mind, it's time to dump two major anchors - Bing and Xbox. Combined, he thinks Bing and Xbox are losing $3-$4 billion a year, which is a $0.30-$0.40 drag on EPS.

He thinks Microsoft should give away or sell Bing, and spin out or sell Xbox.

It's not just that they lose money, either. He says, "The even bigger issue is that this business does not drive traction in smartphones or tablets and does not contribute to PC demand or enterprise products. They are not strategic and are a costly sideshow."

Hiring Mulally, then dumping Xbox and Bing are step one in Sherlund's big plan for Microsoft.
Nomura Note On The Future Of Microsoft - Business Insider

Goddamn, Microsoft. Wtf.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Out of those 2 billion in losses, does that include the 1 billion they had to put into an extra insurance policy due to the large number of broken 360s? Hopefully (for them and the consumers) that isn't something that will happen with the Xbox One and as such, should be more profitable.

Also, is that based purely on the hardware? Or does "xbox" in that statement also include the money they earn from software sales? Software has always been what earns the money in terms of consoles, not the actual hardware.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This thread is great just to watch sean turn into a rabid dog and make sure everyone knows, over and over, how superior the ps4 is and anyone not buying one is a idiot(also add in the constant snipes at Microsoft). Maybe next generation he flip back to microsoft kool aid.

And before you can say anything, I'm buying both, just like currently have both ps3/360.

Cor_sl

shitlord
Out of those 2 billion in losses, does that include the 1 billion they had to put into an extra insurance policy due to the large number of broken 360s? Hopefully (for them and the consumers) that isn't something that will happen with the Xbox One and as such, should be more profitable.

Also, is that based purely on the hardware? Or does "xbox" in that statement also include the money they earn from software sales? Software has always been what earns the money in terms of consoles, not the actual hardware.
It's everything. Hardware + software + xbox live. Basically, Microsoft is losing $2 billion annually on the Xbox division as a whole, if Sherlund is to be believed.

I've been wondering recently why LG, Samsung, etc. haven't bothered entering the console market, and it's making sense now. There's not a whole lotta money to be made with consoles from the looks of things.

Column_sl

shitlord
I cant find any articles past 2010, but in 2010 they made 1.2 billion on Live.

So there install base is way bigger in 2014 then in 2010 with more virtual goods to buy. I find that article suspect.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

So there install base is way bigger in 2014 then in 2010 with more virtual goods to buy. I find that article suspect.
Business insider isn't exactly a mock site, that is a fairly reputable site when it comes to economics.

R&D into the Xbox one might be included in it too though right? Which I guess would amount to a rather substantial number (to subtract from Live earnings, as the they lumped all the divisions into one). Same with eventual first party titles that they have paid for for the Xbox one that they won't get any software sale gains for at the moment. That being said, the loss number is so high that I can completely understand being skeptical towards it.

Anyone know any stats about Sony and the PS3/PS4? This last gen has been fairly equal right, in terms of both hardware and software sales on a global scale. Seems strange for reports of Sony finally going into the black while Microsoft is then hemorrhaging money. Sony doesn't have to do much to win this generation then, Microsoft will pull the plug themselves.

Xevy

Log Wizard
If XB1 outsells PS4 in the US in the first year can I get Sean banned?

I'll sweeten the deal: If the PS4 outsells XB1 by more than 25% in the first year you can ban me.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

I was under the impression that the 360 had been profitable since 2008. So unless they're counting Xbox One R&D into this or give some specifics I'm calling BS

an accordion_sl

shitlord
This thread is great just to watch sean turn into a rabid dog and make sure everyone knows, over and over, how superior the ps4 is and anyone not buying one is a idiot(also add in the constant snipes at Microsoft). Maybe next generation he flip back to microsoft kool aid.

And before you can say anything, I'm buying both, just like currently have both ps3/360.
I don't think you understand how bad sean wants that medal.