The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
xgWLHeL.gif

Soriak_sl

shitlord
So, this does look like it's more widespread than just this guy -- and it seems not to be linked to the 1.50 patch. That's not good...

Sean_sl

shitlord
So, this does look like it's more widespread than just this guy -- and it seems not to be linked to the 1.50 patch. That's not good...
Not sure where you're seeing this. I've checked a few sites and don't see it and it would be all over gaf if it were the case too, and it's not.

Don't spread FUD.

Lenwen

Silver Squire
So far, it's been confirmed that at least 2 guys, as well as kotaku and ign, were having issues. Considering about 4k ps4s were given out from the taco bell contest, as well as god knows how many given to the press, a small handful of faulty consoles isn't enough to consider it widespread yet. Now, if more reports come in tomorrow and friday, then it's time to worry.

Stillborn_sl

shitlord
Is that the tard that tried to remove the HDD while the PS4 was turned on?
Yes, yes it is.
TrainWreck1.gif

"Like a one man human centipede" - NeoGAF
has some details re: it and a GAF'r who had issues.
Guy is streaming his broken PS4(He broke it by unplugging his ps4 while downloading DCUO which had stopped loading), complains to customer support for 4 hours whilst simultaneously being trolled by the people in his stream(Internet and all that), Ign decides that this is worth posting an article about. Finally through the troubleshooting in that 99% troll comments section he takes his HDD out, tries to turn on his PS4, gets an error, but at least it boots. He then puts the HDD back in and everything work. Guy then proceeds to pat himself on the back for being better than Sony Customer Support.... Then proceeds to once again break the ps4 by trying to download DCUO again. He is currently trying to fix it again, doing things such as turning on the PS4 while the hardrive isn't screwed in, plugging in the hard drive while the system is running, failing at holding the power button the amount of time necessary to boot in safe mode, and much much more, all while ignoring the Twitch admin's good advice. Then he finally listens to good advice, gets it working again, turns it off(to standby) and now it's broken again. He's now in hissy fit mode, all the while constantly switching inputs between hdmi and cable while trying to fix it. Thar's your summary, have fun.

How did Francis get a ps4 for a few hours yet didn't get to keep it...
Because Sony flew him to NY and gave him an engraved one w/ his Youtube username on it.

Not sure where you're seeing this. I've checked a few sites and don't see it and it would be all over gaf if it were the case too, and it's not.

Don't spread FUD.
Lol what FUD? It's been confirmed from multiple sources
Broken PlayStation 4 Systems - IGN
The PlayStation 4: The Kotaku Review (In Progress) | Kotaku Australia
Neogaf post re: the issue. Seems to either be related to MB or HDMI port.

IGN's experience with their defective Playstation 4 - NeoGAF
Details IGN's issues w/ this so far and re: how many known reported Dead consoles.
1 Gaffer,
2 or 3 from Reddit
1 Twitch idiot
1 IGN
1 Kotaku

The Master

Bronze Squire
The failure rate of complex pieces of technology is something like 5% over the lifetime of the tech (average). But it dwindles to zero near the tail end and is higher at the beginning. Having a handful of bricked consoles is something that accompanies a lot of console launches (and certainly all of Sony's, the original PSX had an issue with the arm that slid the laser to read the CD being plastic, occasionally if you played for hours on end it'd warp and brick your console, later iterations made the part metal). Until it gets up to a failure rate of approximately 34% (roughly the minimum RROD failure rate that has been estimated since MS won't release details) I don't think the PS4 is really any better or worse off just yet.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What usually is the case is we have a fairly high infant mortality rate and then after the MTTF we have again an increasing end-of-life failure rate. The thought behind this is there's a high chance that during a products infancy it will fail (exponentially), but after that period it goes down to a very low percentage of failure for the lifecycle of the product. It's a bathtub curve; the xbox360 didn't have a very good bathtub, with their lifecycle failure rate bottoming out at around 35%.

That said, the guy on twitch was an idiot. Someone above posted basically what happened, but it seems like the reports vary. A lot of people in the stream were saying that he tried to perform the firmware update and pulled the plug while it was installing. Other people talked about dcuo, so I'm not sure. In a nutshell, the guy was an idiot. Also, he sounded like a fucking baby when he was talking in his stream. Nearly at the point of tears and trying whatever people in chat told him to try. There were shouts of "put your wiener in it", and to be quite honest I'm really surprised he didn't.

Even if those 6 bricked PS4s truly happened innocuously, that's still 0.15% of all (4000?) PS4s that were available. We'll see what happens after launch but I'm almost positive we won't see this many bricking.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
My understanding is the kotaku ps4 wasn't "DOA" it just had a faulty HDMI plug on the console that wouldn't transmit data because it wouldn't hold the connection with the cable firmly.

Yukiri_sl

shitlord
Well, today is the day that decides whether UPS is either brown trucks full of awesome, or a big ass troll. According to tracking info, my PS4 arrived at the local UPS sort facility in my town that's about 8 miles away from my house at 6am. Other things Ive ordered that arrived there this early always went out for delivery that same day.

Will they toss the PS4 on a truck and delivery it today or wait until the "guaranteed delivery date" of the 15th?