The Big Short (2015)

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Votes
Title: The Big Short (2015)

Tagline: This is a true story.

Genre: Comedy, Drama

Director: Adam McKay

Cast: Christian Bale, Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, Brad Pitt, Melissa Leo, Hamish Linklater, John Magaro, Rafe Spall, Jeremy Strong, Finn Wittrock, Marisa Tomei, Tracy Letts, Byron Mann, Adepero Oduye, Karen Gillan, Max Greenfield, Billy Magnussen, Rudy Eisenzopf, Casey Groves, Charlie Talbert, Harold Gervais, Maria Frangos, Hunter Burke, Bernard Hocke, Shauna Rappold, Brandon Stacy, Aiden Flowers, Peter Epstein, Anthony Marble, Silas Cooper, Leslie Castay, Andrew Farrier, Ingrid Steed, Vanessa Cloke, David Zalkind, Carrie Lazar, Mychael Bates, Rajeev Jacob, Jay Potter, Garrett Hines, Ryan Broussard, Jeffry Griffin, Stanley Wong, Anthony Bourdain, Joseph Brooks, Colette Divine, Oscar Gale, Cayden Arthur Miscally, Dave Davis, Wayne Pére, Kate Blumberg, Billy Slaughter, Heighlen Boyd, Ilan Muallem, Jay Jablonski, Blaine Kern III, Al Sapienza, Marcus Lyle Brown, Tyler Kunkle, Elliott Grey, Jason Bayle, Richard Thaler, Sophie Lee, Michael Aaron Santos, David Kallaway, Sharon Landry, James Yeargain, Lyle Brocato, Kelly Lind, Michael Brooks, Lyndsay Kimball, Robyn Wholey, David Wyman, Peter Anderson, Lara Grice, Tony Bentley, Michael Kives, Jack Millard, John Neisler, Michael Joseph Varino, Joel Diggs, Michael J. Stein, Logan Crawford, Tim Wilson, Jae Suh Park, Colin Lawless, Margot Robbie, Selena Gomez, Andrea Vittoria Alvarado, Sue-Lynn Ansari, Nicole Barré, Dominique Hayes, Alicia Davis Johnson, Landa Morland, Delia Sheppard, Juliet Reeves London

Release: 2015-12-11

Runtime: 131

Plot: The men who made millions from a global economic meltdown.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Yes, and it pairs amazingly with 99 Homes and Margin Call.

99 Homes gives you a better view from the ground, Margin Call gives you a better view from the top.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I like how this movie all but ignores for 5 seconds(and even then acts like the stripper was being taken advantage of) the fact people buying homes where just as culpable in the housing market crash as the people selling homes and servicing mortgages.

• 1Like

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I am a Michael Lewis dan so I read the book before seeing this but still really enjoyed it because it is that good.

If you want more I recommend reading Flash Boys.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I like how this movie all but ignores for 5 seconds(and even then acts like the stripper was being taken advantage of) the fact people buying homes where just as culpable in the housing market crash as the people selling homes and servicing mortgages.
I agree this movie downplayed the home buyers culpability, but also the stripper was indeed being taken advantage of. They are not mutually exclusive. That's what some regulation is for, protecting the vulnerable/stupid from predatory sales practices.

We had a royal commission here a couple of years ago into the banking/finance industry and one of the major points of investigation was into predatory insurance sales. There was widespread sale of insurance that the customers either couldn't use, didn't need, didn't understand. Customers in many cases were elderly retirees who were too trusting and signed whatever their bank gave them. Yes the victims are culpable, but we also need (IMO) regulation to stop that kind of exploitation.

On the topic of The Big Short, it's one of my favourites. Very rewatchable.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I agree this movie downplayed the home buyers culpability, but also the stripper was indeed being taken advantage of. They are not mutually exclusive. That's what some regulation is for, protecting the vulnerable/stupid from predatory sales practices.

We had a royal commission here a couple of years ago into the banking/finance industry and one of the major points of investigation was into predatory insurance sales. There was widespread sale of insurance that the customers either couldn't use, didn't need, didn't understand. Customers in many cases were elderly retirees who were too trusting and signed whatever their bank gave them. Yes the victims are culpable, but we also need (IMO) regulation to stop that kind of exploitation.

On the topic of The Big Short, it's one of my favourites. Very rewatchable.

I didn't quite understand one part, with the stripper. She said she had two loans per house? What did that mean?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I didn't quite understand one part, with the stripper. She said she had two loans per house? What did that mean?

It's called a "second mortgage" and during the period where quite common.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
One of my top 5 movies. I watch it once or twice a year. I enjoy studying the entire period. Along the same genre is "Too Big to Fail" on HBO. Also a movie I have seen multiple times. In fact I had flashbacks to it in March of this year.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yes, and it pairs amazingly with 99 Homes and Margin Call.

99 Homes gives you a better view from the ground, Margin Call gives you a better view from the top.

Margin Call was recommended as being very accurate, for how things worked at that time, by a dude I know, that works in that industry. It is not as entertaining as The Big Short, but it servers the same function of showing you just how fucked up these people were/are.

It is an indie movie, so it didn't have the advertisement stream and I completely missed its original release. It's also the first movie by the writer/director, but he went with what he knew, since he grew up on Wall Street (his father is a big shit at Merrill Lynch).

It is primarily based on Lehman Brothers & Bear Sterns, with the CEO in the movie possibly modeled after Alan Schwartz of Bear or John Thain of Merrill.

Last edited:

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It is an indie movie, so it didn't have the advertisement stream and I completely missed its original release.
I actually discovered this movie from random clips on Youtube. Watched a few then had to watch the entire movie. I thought it was alright, aside from the very last bit where it tries to get you to empathize with Kevin Spacey's character over his dead dog. That seemed out of place to me.

She took out a home equity loan.

Sterling

El Presidente
Margin Call lacks Margot Robbie in a bubble bath.
The world can certainly use more of that, but it doesn't make it a better movie by itself. Just rewatched it because of this thread lol. Definitely a very good movie, but I'm now pretty solid in the Margin Call is better camp.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I actually discovered this movie from random clips on Youtube. Watched a few then had to watch the entire movie. I thought it was alright, aside from the very last bit where it tries to get you to empathize with Kevin Spacey's character over his dead dog. That seemed out of place to me.

She took out a home equity loan.
So basically took out her first mortgage, the house gained in value extremely quickly, then cashed out all the equity on a second mortgage, and lived the party lifestyle, because they all believed the value would keep going up, and wouldn't be any problem. Yea?

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
So basically took out her first mortgage, the house gained in value extremely quickly, then cashed out all the equity on a second mortgage, and lived the party lifestyle, because they all believed the value would keep going up, and wouldn't be any problem. Yea?
The Stripper? She had a 2nd mortgage yeah, and she had multiple other properties as well that she was still paying off on mortage as well. Dude lost his mind then was a good scene.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database