The Black Phone (2022)

faille

Molten Core Raider
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Votes
Title: The Black Phone (2022)

Tagline: Never talk to strangers.

Genre: Horror

Director: Scott Derrickson

Cast: Ethan Hawke, Mason Thames, Madeleine McGraw, Jeremy Davies, James Ransone, Michael Banks Repeta, Kellan Rhude, J. Gaven Wilde, E. Roger Mitchell, Gina Jun, Ryan Cronan, Braxton Alexander, Andrew Farmer, T. Maxwell Martin, Brady Ryan, Jacob Moran, Jordan Isaiah White, Spencer Fitzgerald, Kristina Arjona, Tristan Pravong, Ray Strachan, Ron Blake, Robert Fortunato, Chris TC Edge, Mark Riccardi, Brady Hepner, Troy Rudeseal, Megan Petersen, Bay Allebach

Release: 2022-01-27

Runtime: 102

Plot: Finney Shaw, a shy but clever 13-year-old boy, is abducted by a sadistic killer and trapped in a soundproof basement where screaming is of little use. When a disconnected phone on the wall begins to ring, Finney discovers that he can hear the voices of the killer’s previous victims. And they are dead set on making sure that what happened to them doesn’t happen to Finney.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I've always hated Ethan Hawke's face for some reason, all the way back to Dead Poet's Society, the way he purses his lips all the time makes me want to punch him, but he's been okay in a coupla movies. Training Day of course, he actually carried Predestination pretty well, Regression was aight I suppose.

I hate movies with kids as main actors tho, especially horror movies. But it looks like it could be promising in the trailer.

That was a lot of "but"s.

Edit - Actually looking at the IMDB for Dead Poet's Society I dislike the actors playing all three of the main student characters.

Caliane

Trailer seems to reveal so much. Wonder what the twist is. the fact the guy puts the kid in there with the ghost phone seems suspect.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Man that shit looked creepy as hell.

1634442512808.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
sinister was a slapper. the sequels were DOA, but the original work was solid.

i trust the director.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I saw a shorter trailer for this yesterday and it looked alright but fuck waiting until Feb so I picked up the short story it's based off of. The story was written by Joe Hill (one of Stephen King's writer sons) and the story was alright. It was the audiobook version and was only like 46 minutes so the movie must expand on some things quite a bit.

The story was fine. Because it's King's son and how the story opens with missing kids and balloon imagery there's a lot of IT vibes. I caught the extended trailer today and holy fuck don't watch that if you have any intention of seeing the movie. Unless there's some mondo twists and turns at the close the extended trailer is like, the whole story.

• 1Like

faille

Molten Core Raider
yeah, I ended up reading the story also and after watching the trailer I can see how the movie will go into more depth and detail and expand upon some of the stuff from the story. Saying that, the trailer I looked looks like the typical modern trailer that gives way too much away so you'd probably better off avoiding it.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
"Cole Sear gets kidnapped by John Wayne Gacey and the ghosts of Gacy's victims help Cole best the monster" is a pretty cool elevator pitch I will say. It's too bad it's not out for Halloween.

Um, Cole Sear was the name of Haley Joel Osment's character from The Sixth Sense.

• 1Like

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Nm not even sure what your quote is related to the protag has a different name

Last edited:

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Saw this last night. Very enjoyable.

I liked:

that the cops took the little girl seriously

how things from throughout the movie paid off at the end

great child actors

Dad was such a dick lol can tell he was just messed up, but it’s Jeremy Davies lol

how the cops got all the credit for the rescue when they really did not actually help

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Saw this last night. Very enjoyable.

I liked:

that the cops took the little girl seriously

how things from throughout the movie paid off at the end

great child actors

Dad was such a dick lol can tell he was just messed up, but it’s Jeremy Davies lol

how the cops got all the credit for the rescue when they really did not actually help

People wanted more Ethan Hawke, but it seemed intentional to only drop breadcrumbs to leave people with questions.

After that performance I think the director expected people to demand a prequel. And I think leaving answers out of the movie (origin, mask importance, history of the phone, the supernatural) was intentional.

He killed every scene. He'd make a good Joker. It was Heath Ledger-esque at times.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Bodhy

Karen
<Banned>
I've never actually seen Ethan Hawke in a bad guy role before. I think he nailed it. Enjoyed the movie a lot. Especially since I saw the atrocious Dashcam not long before.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I've never actually seen Ethan Hawke in a bad guy role before. I think he nailed it. Enjoyed the movie a lot. Especially since I saw the atrocious Dashcam not long before.
He generally does a really great job digging into whatever type that he's cast in. He's got a few weird and campy roles where he goes ham but he's also more than capable of just knocking shit out of the park and making you lose sight that he's Ethan Hawke. Not along the horror line but he did an incredible job in a movie called Maudie (Maudie (2016) - IMDb). He really nails being unlikable throughout and it's nice seeing him continue to come into his own with a wide range of characters.

Man, just watched Dashcam as well. No clue what the director was going for but what a great trainwreck. It went whole hog on just making every character as unlikable as they could possibly be. The main character was so heavy handed and it just got exhausting having to watch things, mostly, from her POV. It's verging on so bad it's good.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This was really good. I didnt expect much going into it but was pleasantly surprised. Good thriller to watch on a Friday night.

• 1Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database