The Boy and the Heron (2023)

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: The Boy and the Heron (2023)

Genre: Animation, Drama, Fantasy

Director: Hayao Miyazaki

Cast: Soma Santoki, Aimyon, Ko Shibasaki, Masaki Suda, Takuya Kimura, Yoshino Kimura, Keiko Takeshita, Jun Fubuki, Sawako Agawa, Karen Takizawa, Shinobu Otake, Jun Kunimura, Kaoru Kobayashi, Shōhei Hino

Release: 2023-07-14

Runtime: 124

Plot: While the Second World War rages, the teenage Mahito, haunted by his mother's tragic death, is relocated from Tokyo to the serene rural home of his new stepmother Natsuko, a woman who bears a striking resemblance to the boy's mother. As he tries to adjust, this strange new world grows even stranger following the appearance of a persistent gray heron, who perplexes and bedevils Mahito, dubbing him the "long-awaited one."

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
That trailer really hit on all of those Miyazaki memories, I hope it's a great finale to his long career.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Szlia

Got release today in Switzerland. Hard to rate for me as it is technically and artistically a masterpiece, but it also operates in a genre that I despise: the dream-like adventure. Basically, after the initial third the rest of the movie is an "anything goes" fest with no sense or reason. For me it is very very boring because, when anything can happen, there is no narrative tension whatsoever. If you enjoy that type of story that is only driven by themes, bewilderment and awe, that might be for you. It's not for me.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Got release today in Switzerland. Hard to rate for me as it is technically and artistically a masterpiece, but it also operates in a genre that I despise: the dream-like adventure. Basically, after the initial third the rest of the movie is an "anything goes" fest with no sense or reason. For me it is very very boring because, when anything can happen, there is no narrative tension whatsoever. If you enjoy that type of story that is only driven by themes, bewilderment and awe, that might be for you. It's not for me.
You have explained how I feel about these things but could not articulate

thanks!

Caliane

could have just said, "anime".

but yeah, an issue with a number of Miyazaki's stuff. also paprika, and your name.

Szlia

could have just said, "anime".

but yeah, an issue with a number of Miyazaki's stuff. also paprika, and your name.
I don't think you are being fair here. One of the best anime I saw this year is Slam Dunk The Movie that has absolutely none of that. Even in the Gibli catalogue, you have things like From Up on Poppy Hill that is just a realistic coming of age movie (Miyazaki is indeed a likely culprit though, a salient example for me being Ponyo). On the other hand, you can also see this frequently in other media. It's very common in bad horror movies, but a quintessential example of the "Oh! Ah! Things happen, nothing makes sense, who cares" effect is the show Lost.

Also I am not fundamentally against having these type of mechanisms in a story. I have no issue with Your Name for instance. But when it becomes the whole story and every step is made through fantastical and ungrounded elements, then you lose me.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database