The Count of Monte-Cristo (2024)

kroenen

Regimen Morum
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: The Count of Monte-Cristo (2024)

Genre: Adventure, History

Director: Matthieu Delaporte, Alexandre de La Patellière

Cast: Pierre Niney, Anaïs Demoustier, Laurent Lafitte, Oscar Lesage, Patrick Mille, Bastien Bouillon, Anamaria Vartolomei, Julien de Saint Jean, Pierfrancesco Favino, Vassili Schneider, Bruno Raffaelli, Olivier Le Montagner

Release: 2024-06-28

Plot: Edmond Dantes becomes the target of a sinister plot and is arrested on his wedding day for a crime he did not commit. After 14 years in the island prison of Château d’If, he manages a daring escape. Now rich beyond his dreams, he assumes the identity of the Count of Monte-Cristo and exacts his revenge on the three men who betrayed him.

spronk

FPS noob
how is the cast all white, i thought that wasn't allowed anymore

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
The version with Jim Caviezel and Guy Pearce was pretty great, but I guess these sorts of stories have to get remade periodically.
This is one of my comfort movies. I'll bet you I've put this on 5x times in the last year.

Definitely not a movie that needs to be remade....again. The last one one was great

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yeah, going to be hard to top the performances of Caviezel and Pearce. Why try?

I really have no idea how well that version hewed to the book as I found the book an incredibly dull read and stopped early on, but maybe that's some angle to take with it?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Oh let's just wait and see what "reimagined" twists are added.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah they can remake this a million times, one of the most iconic stories ever written.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, going to be hard to top the performances of Caviezel and Pearce. Why try?

I really have no idea how well that version hewed to the book as I found the book an incredibly dull read and stopped early on, but maybe that's some angle to take with it?
To me it's kind of like The last of the Mohicans. For the time period it was this epic adventure and an amazing literary work, but in the modern age it's just not a fun read. I will say the movie version of that particular novel is utterly fantastic, and I think that's why I liked the last count of Monte Cristo movie so much.

We're not the intended audience, but you can still appreciate them.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, strong disagreement there. I think I have 4 physical versions of the book and it is still one of my favorite ever. I need to rewatch the other version though, it has been since it was released. It isn't like this version is "Baz Luhrmann's Count of Monte Cristo" with a soundtrack featuring Nirvana, Elvis, and Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Mist Mist Look here, sir.

It's not a fun book. Not that I don't appreciate it but when I think of hey what's one of the most fun books to possibly read I don't immediately gravitate towards The last of the Mohicans. It was written as a completely different time where adventure novels weren't necessarily a thing, so during that time. It was pretty revolutionary, but compared to modern literature it's just not there. I haven't read the goddamn thing since middle school, and maybe I might appreciate it more now.

That spot is reserved for the Harry Potter series.

Edit: sorry I guess I was talking about the last of the Mohicans. The Count of Monte Cristo is still a great book.

• 1Blown

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
The version with Jim Caviezel and Guy Pearce was pretty great, but I guess these sorts of stories have to get remade periodically.

It's my favorite movie.

I'm actually excited about a show for once. Uh oh... :(

• 1Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think you guys are getting confused. Think he was referring to LoTM and not Count. Still odd to me it was Michael Mann directed LoTM, not his typical movie

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I think you guys are getting confused. Think he was referring to LoTM and not Count
Yeah I was just trying to think of older action adventure novels kind of in the same vein in the first thing that popped into my head was The last of the Mohicans. I remember for that time period it was a pretty special book, but comparing it to today's literature it's pretty tame. The movie however makes it fun and exciting even if the book itself is a slog.

You could probably say the same thing with something like Treasure Island. If you were a kid back in those days it probably would have been your version of Star Wars, but good luck getting a kid now to appreciate it in the same manner. Doesn't mean you can't envision them via film and make them exciting for a modern audience.

Szlia

This is one of my comfort movies. I'll bet you I've put this on 5x times in the last year.

Definitely not a movie that needs to be remade....again. The last one one was great
Well... that's a 2002 movie and we are in 2024, so it's been a while. Also, the last french films based on this are from the '60s. There was a more recent and popular TV show, but it still was in 1998! Time flies I guess.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Well... that's a 2002 movie and we are in 2024, so it's been a while. Also, the last french films based on this are from the '60s.
Is there some rule i don't know about regarding movies needing to be remade every XX years?

• 1Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database