The Covenant (2023)

kroenen

Regimen Morum
3.33 star(s) Rating: 3.33/5 3 Votes
Title: The Covenant (2023)

Genre: Action, Adventure, Crime, Thriller

Director: Guy Ritchie

Cast: Jake Gyllenhaal, Dar Salim, Antony Starr, Alexander Ludwig, Emily Beecham, Jason Wong, Bobby Schofield, Sean Sagar, Reza Diako, Abbas Fasaei, Swen Temmel, Rhys Yates, Ash Goldeh, Christian Ochoa Lavernia, Marcel Zadé, Hadi Khanjanpour, Gary Anthony Stennette, Fariba Sheikhan, Damon Zolfaghari, Javier Ramos, Kawa Mawlayee, Altamasch Noor, Javid Hakim, Sina Parvaneh, Mo Ahmadi, Cyrus Khodaveisi, Paeman Arianfar, Shoaib Lodin

Release: 2023-04-21

Plot: On his last tour of duty in Afghanistan, Sergeant John Kinley is teamed with local interpreter Ahmed to survey the region. When their unit is ambushed on patrol, Kinley and Ahmed are the only survivors. With enemy combatants in pursuit, Ahmed risks his own life to carry an injured Kinley across miles of grueling terrain to safety. Back on U.S. soil, Kinley learns that Ahmed and his family were not given passage to America as promised. Determined to protect his friend and repay his debt, Kinley returns to the warzone to retrieve Ahmed and his family before the local militias reach them first.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'll watch most Guy Ritchie stuff. This is way out of his genre but He has Jake in there so I'll watch

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Damn hell of a movie. Ritchie is very hit or miss but this is one of the most tense war movies since Hurt Locker.

Definitely worth watching in theater. 👍

Also Homelander from The Boys and Bjorn from Vikings are it. Interpreter guy is a Dothraki horse lord from Game of Thrones.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not to mention entire premise of movie is moratorium on Biden pullout from Afghanistan. 😵

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I'm watching this now and it got much less interesting as soon as it turned into a buddy chase movie

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Fuck I don't want to be disappointed by this but I'm going to give it a go...

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
It was good. Only real complaint I have is that quite a few scenes were stretched way past their breaking point in an attempt to be Artsy. And probably to fill time. <Shrug> Would have been better without that shit and made into a tighter movie. Great fucking story, though. Worth a watch.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Caught this tonight. Really enjoyed it. Was a little different than normal Guy Ritchie fare.

Oldbased

> Than U
This was very good. I am shocked it didn't even make half its low 55 million budget in the box office.
It had a strong tug to both the soldier and the interpreter in feels and well, no one gives a fuck about all the dead taliban.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I liked this a lot but also found it very odd. Will spoiler it just in case.

My expectation was that it was going to be a little more 50/50 with regards to their initial deployment and then the extraction of the interpreter. Instead it was more like 95/5 and it felt like there wasn't any tension getting Ahmed and family out. Kinley showed up, found him, and was extracted all in about 10 minutes. End film.

The whole first part was good though. Ahmed carting Kinley 100km across Afghanistan was a little fantastical but whatever. Was a cool flick.

Reminded me that I've never seen Hurt Locker or Jarhead. There was one other that I also somehow missed but can't remember the name. Not Blackhawk Down. It was around the same time frame as Hurt Locker.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Reminded me that I've never seen Hurt Locker or Jarhead. There was one other that I also somehow missed but can't remember the name. Not Blackhawk Down. It was around the same time frame as Hurt Locker.
Do you just mean middle east military films? Zero Dark Thirty or Lone Survivor? Those were both a few years after Hurt Locker.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I liked this a lot but also found it very odd. Will spoiler it just in case.

My expectation was that it was going to be a little more 50/50 with regards to their initial deployment and then the extraction of the interpreter. Instead it was more like 95/5 and it felt like there wasn't any tension getting Ahmed and family out. Kinley showed up, found him, and was extracted all in about 10 minutes. End film.

The whole first part was good though. Ahmed carting Kinley 100km across Afghanistan was a little fantastical but whatever. Was a cool flick.

Hurt Locker is quite good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database