The Current War (2017)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: The Current War

Genre: Drama, History

Director: Alfonso Gomez-Rejon

Cast: Benedict Cumberbatch, Michael Shannon, Nicholas Hoult, Katherine Waterston, Tom Holland, Matthew Macfadyen, Tuppence Middleton, Damien Molony, Conor MacNeill, Celyn Jones, Oliver Powell, John Schwab, Abigail Johns

Release: 2017-12-22

Plot: Electricity titans Thomas Edison and George Westinghouse compete to create a sustainable system and market it to the American people.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
I was raging the whole time I watched this trailer.....WHY NO TESLA~?~?~?~?~ Damn you Hollywood, you sucked me in! I kind of feel like this will have less to do with Tesla though. Funny that it they are going with the inventor vs the business man angle.

spronk

FPS noob
++ Michael Shannon
-- gay Sherlock Holmes

Looks interesting, wonder if they will bring in that whole "edison killed an elephant" thing, and yeah Tesla really needs his own movie he was one weird ass motherfucker

Tinger

Golden Squire
Since without Tesla and Westinghouse I wouldn't have a job, I guess I'm rooting for the bad(maybe?) guys!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Since without Tesla and Westinghouse I wouldn't have a job, I guess I'm rooting for the bad(maybe?) guys!

Of course Tesla is the bad guy. He was practically persecuted by the U.S. government who were upset he could tilt the balance away from their favorite public utility oligarch, Edison. And there was this paranoia that Tesla was a looming threat somehow because he wasn't Edison, this forthright shrewd businessman, somehow he was a national security problem because he wasn't the chosen son. I guess what Rockefeller taught Congress is that its a Highlander movie, "There Can Only Be One" industrialist in each sector.

Thanks FDR for sticking it to these assholes!

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
Why would anyone want to see this movie?

unlimited-power_o_7086525.jpg

spronk

FPS noob
i was gonna see this maybe this weekend in theaters but then i noticed bluray rips are up on IPT, so prob watch it at home instead. it was weirdly delayed for 2 years and had a ton of reshoots, critic reviews say its bad but user reviews say its ok.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I think the delays had to do with Harvey Weinstein, like his rape charges hit the fan and they couldn't get distribution, or something like that. So the film was sold, etc.

The movie is OK. There's nothing honestly deep or great about it. It tells the story, just focuses on Edison being stubborn and a liar, Westinghouse being one of those "accidental geniuses" that does something great but isn't really passionate about it, and Tesla is a side character. Tom Holland is a nothing in this film. No character arcs, no complicated plot or plot twists, no surprises, we all know A/C current wins (just like we all knew the Titanic would sink!) The movie basically just fills in the gaps for what you probably already knew (Edison wanted DC and was wrong, Tesla liked AC and was right, and Westinghouse blah blah). Beyond that, there's nothing. I'm glad I saw it, but it's one of those movies you pirate or rent, DO NOT BUY.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
i was gonna see this maybe this weekend in theaters but then i noticed bluray rips are up on IPT, so prob watch it at home instead. it was weirdly delayed for 2 years and had a ton of reshoots, critic reviews say its bad but user reviews say its ok.

This movie would gain NOTHING by being on the big screen. Save your money, watch at home.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database