The D&D thread

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Got a question about the condition "When you roll a 20 on an attack roll made with this weapon" Does that mean a crit? Or is that a 20 after your modifiers. It seems weird to word it that way if it's a crit.

The item in question is the Mace of Smiting. It does extra damage when you roll a 20. At first I was wondering if that extra damage got doubled too because of the crit when I started wondering if maybe this damage couldn't happen on a crit (because the mace itself is +1 so even with no other bonuses, a crit would be a total of 21)

Mace of Smiting
Melee weapon (simple, mace), rare

You gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon. The bonus increases to +3 when you use the mace to attack a construct.

When you roll a 20 on an attack roll made with this weapon, the target takes an extra 2d6 bludgeoning damage, or an extra 4d6 bludgeoning damage if it's a construct. If a construct has 25 hit points or fewer after taking this damage, it is destroyed.

Damage: 1d6+1
Damage Type: Bludgeoning
Weight: 4

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Got a question about the condition "When you roll a 20 on an attack roll made with this weapon" Does that mean a crit? Or is that a 20 after your modifiers. It seems weird to word it that way if it's a crit.

The item in question is the Mace of Smiting. It does extra damage when you roll a 20. At first I was wondering if that extra damage got doubled too because of the crit when I started wondering if maybe this damage couldn't happen on a crit (because the mace itself is +1 so even with no other bonuses, a crit would be a total of 21)

Mace of Smiting
Melee weapon (simple, mace), rare

You gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon. The bonus increases to +3 when you use the mace to attack a construct.

When you roll a 20 on an attack roll made with this weapon, the target takes an extra 2d6 bludgeoning damage, or an extra 4d6 bludgeoning damage if it's a construct. If a construct has 25 hit points or fewer after taking this damage, it is destroyed.

Damage: 1d6+1
Damage Type: Bludgeoning
Weight: 4
Pretty sure it's a natural 20, not the added outcome.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
In that case, does the 2d6 / 4d6 extra damage also get doubled by the crit?
That I don't know. Like I said I could be mistaken but I thought conditional things that state you have to hit a certain natural number to trigger an effect stay static as far as their damage, but the weapon damage roll of 1d6 or whatever would be doubled.

So if you have an extended crit range due to skills or feats, like 18-20 roll, you double or triple your damage, but the magic effect from the mace still only triggers on the natural 20, and that damage is a completely separate thing that doesn't get scaled from the crit. Otherwise it'd be broken. Why wouldn't I just say 4d6 extra smite damage or whatever.

I don't know, talking it out ,I think I might be right. Sorry it's been awhile since I played a campaign.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Rules-as-Written, you're doubling every damage die rolled for the attack if it's a critical, which would include the extra 2d6 (so 4d6, or 8d6 vs construct) bludgeoning damage. Looks like that wasn't the spirit of the weapon/RAI, since I guess it's been revised to use the average damage of those rolls instead of additional damage dice. This would be considered a modifier and would not be doubled by a critical hit:

• 1Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Rules-as-Written, you're doubling every damage die rolled for the attack if it's a critical, which would include the extra 2d6 (so 4d6, or 8d6 vs construct) bludgeoning damage. Looks like that wasn't the spirit of the weapon/RAI, since I guess it's been revised to use the average damage of those rolls instead of additional damage dice. This would be considered a modifier and would not be doubled by a critical hit:

That's weird, I actually remember seeing the 7 and 14 damage on the sheet the DM gave me, but when I searched online last night everything was saying damage dice. It's so rare I'm surprised they bothered to modify it. Doubling every damage die makes sense. I know you get to double sneak attack damage and I assume I would get to double my smite dice too. though that hasn't come up on my pally yet.

So if you have an extended crit range due to skills or feats, like 18-20 roll
I completely forgot about those crit range extenders. I still think the wording is weird and sounds like it's intended for after the bonuses. But based on what drisnic posted, I guess nat 20 is what's intended.

It would take care of the crit problem if you read it like I do. Say you had +8 to attack, it would take and actual 12 on the dice to trigger the damage. Someone once told me there was a different word that indicated whether they were talking about before of after modifiers. I coulda swore it was 'dice roll' that was unmodified and 'attack roll' was modified. But maybe roll was the key word. 'Attack roll' is unmodified and 'Attack' is with the bonuses?

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
That's weird, I actually remember seeing the 7 and 14 damage on the sheet the DM gave me, but when I searched online last night everything was saying damage dice. It's so rare I'm surprised they bothered to modify it. Doubling every damage die makes sense. I know you get to double sneak attack damage and I assume I would get to double my smite dice too. though that hasn't come up on my pally yet.

I completely forgot about those crit range extenders. I still think the wording is weird and sounds like it's intended for after the bonuses. But based on what drisnic posted, I guess nat 20 is what's intended.

It would take care of the crit problem if you read it like I do. Say you had +8 to attack, it would take and actual 12 on the dice to trigger the damage. Someone once told me there was a different word that indicated whether they were talking about before of after modifiers. I coulda swore it was 'dice roll' that was unmodified and 'attack roll' was modified. But maybe roll was the key word. 'Attack roll' is unmodified and 'Attack' is with the bonuses?
I mean you could always house rules it if you wanted to, and that's sort of stuff is common. I understand what you're saying though and sometimes it is pretty goofy but that's why they've got the errata when those types of questions pop up. I just think it'd be too powerful, but if your DM is running a campaign where you're fighting some badass shit, maybe it'll be okay.

At the end of the day it's just about to having fun with your friends playing your Goofy character having a few beers, BBQ, and saving the kingdom killing dragons.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord

Maybe I just haven't looked at the source books in a while, but I can't recall there being many instances of "dice roll". It's almost always "attack roll", "spell attack roll", "skill check" etc. Items that call out 1 or 20 specifically are looking for natural 1s and 20s.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I mean you could always house rules it if you wanted to, and that's sort of stuff is common. I understand what you're saying though and sometimes it is pretty goofy but that's why they've got the errata when those types of questions pop up. I just think it'd be too powerful, but if your DM is running a campaign where you're fighting some badass shit, maybe it'll be okay.

At the end of the day it's just about to having fun with your friends playing your Goofy character having a few beers, BBQ, and saving the kingdom killing dragons.
In this case the character is AL legal, so I'm sure I'll be stuck with the most boring interpretation of the rules.

But I'm writing 2d6 / 4d6 on my sheet because I like rolling dice.

• 1Solidarity

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Alright which one of you is this

1711228061201.png

The YouTube algo knows I frequent FoH ruuuuuuuuuuuuun

Bodhy

Karen
<Banned>
Gygax related Kickstarter with a few hours left.

So this is like an ultimate worldbuilding grimoire? A sort of encyclopedia and a checklist that you can tick off to ensure you've got a complete and engrossing world?

I've been looking for something like this for my own fantasy novel. I've done alot of worldbuilding over the period of around a decade, when I first coined the protagonist and the antagonistic faction, and nothing else. But worldbuilding as a one man army is almost a full time job, and so much information to research and absorb, which I've been doing from just piecing together various sources, my own ever expanding library, and my own knowledge of philosophy, history, theology etc.

I've gotten good feedback on my ideas elsewhere, but there's still so much I haven't done (politics and government structure is the boring, not yet done part for me). It is my goal to have one of the most engrossing, immersive, mindfuck worlds ever. I really like how unique my magic system is (very far removed from typical D & D and general fantasy).

But, it looks like you can't actually buy any of these packages because they're already pre-ordered or something?

Last edited:
  • 1Like